Maroon
    2000 Silverado

question about a stall converter

i asked earlier about a camshft for my daily driver, i have decided on the tsp 228r what kind of stall would go well with that cam, stock moter and is my dd?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

tci3000 streetfighter. drives like stock and it shaved off almost half a second off my times.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

With 3000 stalls and above you have to give your car alot of throttle to get it to move from a dead stop--Also if you do alot of city stop & go driving they can overheat badly and an aftermarket trans cooler is mandatory--i have a 2600 stall in my C5 and love it--drives almost like stock but when you get on it -- it really comes alive--My rec. would be a 2600-2800 for a DD .

black

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    With 3000 stalls and above you have to give your car alot of throttle to get it to move from a dead stop--Also if you do alot of city stop & go driving they can overheat badly and an aftermarket trans cooler is mandatory--i have a 2600 stall in my C5 and love it--drives almost like stock but when you get on it -- it really comes alive--My rec. would be a 2600-2800 for a DD .
    bullshit it takes alot of throttle to move the car. it mainly comes down to what str you get.
    if you get an str of 1.8 1 then yes it will be loose and youll have to give it some throttle.
    i have 2.2 1 and its tight and drives like a stocker.
    the higher the str, the tighter the feel.
    anything below 3000 rpm for a stall speed on a ls1 is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    bullshit it takes alot of throttle to move the car. it mainly comes down to what str you get.
    if you get an str of 1.8 1 then yes it will be loose and youll have to give it some throttle.
    i have 2.2 1 and its tight and drives like a stocker.
    the higher the str, the tighter the feel.
    anything below 3000 rpm for a stall speed on a ls1 is a waste.
    No need to use foul language--you are entitled to your opinion as i am entitled to mine--And what you say about 3000 stalls is exactly that--JUST your opinion---I've driven 3000 Yanks and 3000 Precision converters with High Str. ratios--I don't agree--And--a 3000 that is Tight ??? doesn't make sense-- no such thing--a tight converter is a stock converter with a stall of 1200 --The Str is the torque multiplication value--If it had anything to do with the stall speed -it would be measured by a RPM value and not Str--
    Nothing what you say makes sense to me---

black

the multiplication of torque is the str. lets say you have 1.8 1, thats 1.8 x power in you car.
    now lets say you have 2.2 1 thats 2.2 x power of you car.
    long story short, the higher str makes more torque so less throttle is needed to move car foward off the line.

Dana
    The STR when high gives more torque multiplication off the line than a lower STR with the same stall, that is why you will hear the word "tight" expressed here. The higher the STR the "tighter" it will feel. This is when comparing the same brand and size of torque converter, otherwise there are too many variables. Higher STR's work better with lower numerically gears (2.73 - 2.93 - 3.08), where lower STR's work better with higher numerically gears (3.42 - 3.73 - 4.10). Remember, if the STR is high, with higher numerically gears (3.42 - 3.73 - 4.10), you will usually see your mph at the drags down some. A lower STR will help mph. I say this from all of the feed back I have gotten over the last 27 years on this, and talking with Terry Hedrick at Precision Industries about his experience with this on several occasions.

the multiplication of torque is the str. lets say you have 1.8 1, thats 1.8 x power in you car.
    now lets say you have 2.2 1 thats 2.2 x power of you car.
    long story short, the higher str makes more torque so less throttle is needed to move car foward off the line.
    STR ratios and what they actually do is quite contravertial--According to the Precision website--The STR is at peak AFTER the car just begins to move--Then it starts dropping very rapidly-until the ratio reaches 1:1--The RPM where it reaches a 1:1 ratio varies amoungst different manufactures---
    According to them the STR ratio has nothing to do with the initial stall speed that it takes to get a car to move--only the torque multiplication and how long that multiplication goes from peak to 1:1 AFTER the car begins to move--

Prcesion STR formula is ---Exact Trq. output divided by the exact trq. input = STR ratio

They never mention any correlation between stall speeds and STR--nor does their formula--All the STR calculations happen AFTER the car is underway so how can it affect what it takes to get a car to move when there is no Trq ouput or input yet ?? To me that enforces my opinion that only the initial stall speed whether it is flash or whatever is the only thing that affects what it takes to get a car to move from a dead stop---STR ratios come into affect just after the car starts moving and only for a short period until the raio reaches 1:1
    Last edited by tblu92; 11-25-2007 at 02:26 AM.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

All these STR numbers, loose, tight, cam move etc sound good but alot of pedal to move? I have a vigilante 3600 in mine with 4.10's at a 1.8 STR and yes it takes a little more to move than stock, and I express a little (as in 1200 rpm or below take offs from a dead stop), but its hardly what one normally considers alot of pedal to move. And given my cam is a MS3 which lowers the bottom end power I still never needed "alot" of pedal to get moving even on hills. I personally would not go any lower than my 3600 ever again on an LS motor. That extra RPM makes a huge difference. This isn't comming from a fromula or phone call or hypothesis this is from my car which until engine problems saw regular driving every weekend driving back and forth to work.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

If you read my original post you would see thati i started out by saying that I had driven hi stalled cars before --So i'd tried to keep it as simple as my opinion on my own persoanl experience--Maybe "a lot" was a bit of an overkill but c'on now aren't we getting a bit technical here ( besides--a lot to you may be different than a lot to someone else )--I don't want to argue with anyone--we might all be correct just interpreting words differently--
    Honestly----I was just offended that he had called my opinion "bullshit" Thought that on an open forum that it was extremly rude An apology would have ended it all---Tom

black

Honestly----I was just offended that he had called my opinion "bullshit" Thought that on an open forum that it was extremly rude An apology would have ended it all---Tom
    it was called bullshit because thats what it was.
    With 3000 stalls and above you have to give your car alot of throttle to get it to move from a dead stop .
    3000 is not a high stall and it does not take alot of gas at all to move the car.

it was called bullshit because thats what it was.

3000 is not a high stall and it does not take alot of gas at all to move the car.
    You just don't know when to quit do you buddy---Apparently you can't read--Around here we deal with idiots like you in an old fashion way--They say there is one born every minute---and today was you day---have a nice life being in love with yourself-- -and oh yeah 4,692 posts-- get a life 1st--
    Last edited by tblu92; 11-26-2007 at 08:40 AM.

black

You just don't know when to quit do you buddy---Apparently you can't read--Around here we deal with idiots like you in an old fashion way--They say there is one born every minute---and today was you day---have a nice life being in love with yourself-- -and oh yeah 4,692 posts-- get a life 1st--
    Perhaps you should consider registering for disability, because it's obvious that you're completely blind to the fact that you are a total tool.
    If ignorance was bliss, than your entire life would be a perpetual orgasm.

black
    2002 trans am

u can and will drive through the stall..

u oblvouisly drive through it stock at 1500 rpm..
    get in ur car put in in drive and its ganna move with rpm below 1500 and u can still accelerate and mainltain driveability...

black
    2001 z28

vig 3600 here, i would never go below that ever again. after you get used to it, it will be awesome.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

TCI Super Street fighter here, 3500 stall. It doesn't take much throttle to move at all. it would move at idle on the flat. my idle was only bumped up 100 rpm. I would go with a 3000 if your worried about drivability, 3500-4000 if your looking for a good streetable performaner.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok, I think the debate has run it's course. Just let it go. I personally see where you're both right and wrong. Although I personally feel that tblu misused the word "alot" he obviously has an understanding of stalls and how they work. NHRA, no sense in getting overheated over 1 comment like that. The STR pretty much goes out the window after the wheels start moving. I look at STR as a shock value. It's the initial shock that gets the tires turning. I run a 3500 stall with a 1.9 str and I also wouldn't say it takes "alot" of throttle to get the car moving. More than stock yes, but I don't feel it would qualify as alot. I think you guys just got worked up over opinions. Just let it drop and we'll say you're both right. Sound fair?

Thread Information