Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 Trans Am

performance mode switch?

what is/where is the performance mode switch? it talks about it in my manual, but i can't find it on my car!? was it an option or??? 5.7 A4 if that helps

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

performance mode switch? First time I ever heard about that one.

The Rookie
    never heard of it

White
    1998 Trans Am

dk if any of you have the manual yet, in my 98 owners manual its on page 2-34 (in the automatic transmission section)

"this switch lets you change from a normal driving mode to a performance mode. when you start the engine, the switch will be in normal mode. for general driving conditions, use the normal mode. it will remain in normal mode unless you select the PERFORM feature.

for a firmer shift and increased performance, you may choose the PERFORM mode. the light in the center of the switch will light up when selected. the switch will then remain in performance mode until the engine is shut off, when it will go back to normal mode"

??? idk?!

The Rookie
    I have an 02 Camaro, but I am checking my manual now for this.

The Rookie
    Didn't find anything in my manual. But I wonder if it is a button for turning your overdrive off? I believe my year was automatic overdrive (not sure mine is a M6) but maybe the year fbody you have you had the option to turn your overdrive off????
    Last edited by The Rookie; 01-31-2006 at 08:20 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

isn't overdrive just 4th gear? like putting it in 3rd would be normal drive, and 4th is OD?

The Rookie
    Yes... But like in my 04 Duramax 4x4 4dr, I have a tow haul button. When I am pulling my boat, I push it and it changes the shift points on my transmission and does transmission braking when slowing down. I know that some cars do have a button to take you out of overdrive, which would be your 4th gear, leaving you in a better accelerating 3rd. I am just guessing though... Someone on here will have the answer. Someone always does with all the gear heads on this forum.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

Earlier TA's and formulas had it.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/cincity/...or.html#ch4_7c

Its the 3rd faq down.

Thats the only link I can find that mentions it. I remember reading about it a while back, it seems it was in 94-96 models. Chevy's never got it. It seems somewhat common too. There was a thread on another site a while back that said theres some remnants of the programming for it in the later PCM's, it can no longer be accesed though, and it wouldnt make a difference anyway cause its the same as what was already on there for the trans.

I have never seen one though. Ever. I've never found a pic of it. So, if anyone has one, post it up or email it to me. I'm curious as to what it looks like and where it was placed.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I've seen it, in a 96 v6 firebird, same place as the old school sgs button right behind the auto shifter on the console, right in the middle

Black
    02 Z06

I had this on my old lt1 ( 94 Trans am ) . it was a little button in a box that lights up a couple inches back behind the shifter. I never used it. I couldn't feel a difference when i did use it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If memory serves...it was/is an option that changes the shift points and shift firmness....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It never ceases to amaze me you learn something new all the time-I thought it was somekind of joke when in read the heading.If somebodies got this it would be cool to see a picture of this or something.

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

A friend of mine had a 94 TA auto and I remember his car having that switch, the guy who sold it to him tried to convince him that using this feature would make the car do wheelies off the line hahahaha! He bought the car, but not because of that of course

White
    1998 Trans Am

idk, it's in my manual but not in my car! maybe something they forgot to change from year to year? or maybe its just on the 3800s who knows?

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

It's extremely common on Japanese automatic tranny equipped cars and SUVs. Normal mode is more economy oriented (no pun intended); the trans upshifts to the higher gears more quickly and at lower RPMs. When you want to accelerate you have to press down more on the gas before the trans downshifts. In Performance mode the trans will stay in any gear longer while the engine revs higher before it upshifts to the next gear. The trans will also downshift more quickly when you want to accelerate. I haven't seen too many American cars with that feature, though.

Silver
    2002 Z28

yea we had a 94 and 96 saturn with that on it, pretty useless, but then again it was a saturn

Black
    1995 Pontiac Trans AM

yea, I got it in my car. 95 TA. like the other post says it shifts smooth like normal, and hard in "performance mode". I love it. If you barely press the gas it downshifts and throws you into high RPM... and it holds off to shift longer. I like how we can turn it off and chevys cant. haha

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    If memory serves...it was/is an option that changes the shift points and shift firmness....
    You are correct. In HPTuners those options are there.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

98 Formula
    06 duramax

My wifes old 99 GTP had it on the side of the shifter. It actually made a difference too. It wasn't like it would chirp the tires but it definitely moved the shift points and firmed them up a tad. Not sure if any of you know "wait4me" on the boards but I'm pretty sure it was him that sorta made his own using hptuners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information