Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    2002 camaro z28

performabuilt transmission?

is it worth the money, or is there better for the price? any suggestions?

blue
    2000ss

Well I may biased OR NOT but i don't think you will find better for less ,

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I love my performabuilt transmission. I have the stage two and 9.5 inch 4200 stall converter. I do not have very many miles on it however I can tell you it launches and shifts like a dream compared to my stock rebuilt trans and 3200 fuddle converter.

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

I also Love my level 2 from performabuilt installed three days ago and only put on 25 miles but can tell right away it's a nice setup / 3000 stall

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28, Bolt-Ons

I'd never heard of them either. Does anyone actually have one of these transmissions installed? I called them today, and got a quote on a "Stage 2" transmission. The guy was cool; just wondering if the product is as cool as the guy i talked to.....

530 hp flywheel /460 RWHP LS1, occasional nitrous use...

blue
    2000ss

We have been sponsors here for two years lol. and there are a couple n the posts above,

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If you don't want down time on the car you cant beat the price!!! If you don't care about down time take it to someone locally that can do preformance builds. To be honest finding someone locally can be a pain because you don't know the type of work they do. Preformabuilt has a big following. For guys that don't want to have to know anything about an auto transmission it's Pay and play type service from them. I did the local thing and spent 2 months tring to figure out why the trans didn't work. Raptors are over 2K to almost 3K. Probuilts are in the 2K range and TCI (should be named POS) are 3K+. NO you really can't beat it for the price.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I dont know how well the transmission itself works cause its still in the box waiting for the rest of the car to be put togeather, but the customer service was great, very knowledgeable and the shipping time was excellent.

Cost wise it will be hard for you to beat.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28, Bolt-Ons

I loved the price, and the company overall from the guy i talked to. They were just the kinda people i like to talk to: very knowledgeable, straight to the point, real, and no BS. My concern is the longevity of the product. As most of us here, we beat the sh*t out of our drivetrain, and over 2009, i plan on building a bullet-proof drivetrain, suspension, and engine setup. Since, for me, the transmission is the cornerstone of the drivetrain, i just want to make sure that I'm not under-paying.

SOM / NBM

Well i got a level 2 and i put about 200 miles on it and seemed really good, i am still in the process of installing my procharger but i will report back as soon as i get her up and running again, then we shall see what the trans can handle!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

Great service - Built as advertised - Good price - BEWARE of price only shopping - Been burnt BAD

blue
    2000ss

Thanks

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

to buy or not to buy

Ok, i would like to put a slightly new spin on the tranmission topic..I'm 100% unbiased, i have never even spoken to Performabuilt, monster or any other company BUT Here's a few things i've learned while researching the different professionally built transmissions on the market (I won't even get into the "gus's local tranny shop" side of things) I firmly believe you get what you pay for in life, with that said costumer service, waranty and other factors also apply. I have owned 2 Ls1 cars (a z28 and a firebird formula) and both had problems with the stock 4l60e. My latest acquisition (98 formy)was bought at a discount because the trans has no 3rd or 4th gears (probably from running it too low on fluid) It smelt burnt and looked black! We dropped the Pan changed the filter and fluid and still no 3rd or 4th gears.. Soooo I now know i need a new trans and I know from experience the stock tranny is weak (I also have a 4l60e in my d/d truck). Why would I cheap out on a junk yard a-4 when i know it'll eventually fail especially with power adders? If I splurge for the stage 2 from performa built it seems like i get a hell of a bang for my buck, AND it'll stand up to increasing power that we all plan to add to our cars inorder to compete with the new 2010 400hp camaros! Here's my question... has anyone tested a stock LS1 car with only an upgraded trans and converter and if so what were results? Ofcourse gears will help alot too but for comparison sake I'd like to know. also will i need a re-program of computer with the new trans and converter? whats the best stall for a decent strip/street driver (I dont want to sacrifice gas mileage tooo much) thx in advance!!

blue
    2000ss

We actually have lots of people running the levels 1-2-3 in at or near stock cars.
    If you get a higher stall than 2500 you will need tuning ajustments

SOM / NBM

i got a level 2 from performa and i installed it on a basically stock 2002 ls1 z28 with a 3000 stall converter, after install with no tune it was like night and day, 3000 is good for daily driver and buring up the tires on the weekend with little to no change in highway mileage, two weeks later i started my install of a d1 procharger...once finished it went off for a tune for trans and blower, i dyno'ed at 460hp to the wheels and must say the trans is holding up great! nice firm shifts barks second and all.. i currently have about 2-3K miles on the trans and it feels great. As far as "get what you pay for" i agree but not in this case they have awesome customer service and i had no issues with thier product. IMO It is the best bang for the buck

No regrets

Just a satified customer!

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    Ok, i would like to put a slightly new spin on the tranmission topic..I'm 100% unbiased, i have never even spoken to Performabuilt, monster or any other company BUT Here's a few things i've learned while researching the different professionally built transmissions on the market (I won't even get into the "gus's local tranny shop" side of things) I firmly believe you get what you pay for in life, with that said costumer service, waranty and other factors also apply. I have owned 2 Ls1 cars (a z28 and a firebird formula) and both had problems with the stock 4l60e. My latest acquisition (98 formy)was bought at a discount because the trans has no 3rd or 4th gears (probably from running it too low on fluid) It smelt burnt and looked black! We dropped the Pan changed the filter and fluid and still no 3rd or 4th gears.. Soooo I now know i need a new trans and I know from experience the stock tranny is weak (I also have a 4l60e in my d/d truck). Why would I cheap out on a junk yard a-4 when i know it'll eventually fail especially with power adders? If I splurge for the stage 2 from performa built it seems like i get a hell of a bang for my buck, AND it'll stand up to increasing power that we all plan to add to our cars inorder to compete with the new 2010 400hp camaros! Here's my question... has anyone tested a stock LS1 car with only an upgraded trans and converter and if so what were results? Ofcourse gears will help alot too but for comparison sake I'd like to know. also will i need a re-program of computer with the new trans and converter? whats the best stall for a decent strip/street driver (I dont want to sacrifice gas mileage tooo much) thx in advance!!

How do people break the 4l60e other than power adders or running it out of fluid? 125,000 miles on mine. Two years + of drag racing with street tires and slicks, years of beating on it on the highway, full bolt on, full exhaust, full suspension, 3k stall, 9" and tune and it still shifts like the day I got it with 26k on it.

If you get gears you will have to have your speedometer adjusted with tuneing software.

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

consider yourself lucky!! like i said i have had 2 Ls1 -4l60 cars and both had trans issues. With that said I am considered by most to be a very good driver. I don't wind out my gears, i dont run low fluid, i dont down shift an auto, and i dont beat the car usually if at all. I upkeep my cars very well and constantly check the fluids (weekly). so for me it's just been a weak OEM tranny when coupled with the power of the LS1, I'm not the first to state that either there's been alot of articles about this topic. When my first new car had less than 5k on the odometer and i had the dealer do a tranny swap the mechanics basically said that they had spent their days doing nothing but tranny swaps in the LS1 cars. Just as some people may get an engine fluke with a few more ponies i also believe some get the lucky trans that lubricates itself well, and lasts.

1994 Z28 MQBM
    2001 SS #1629 LPM

I have both a Monster and a Performabuilt level 2 and they are very comparable. Both have held up to alot of abuse and both still feel and shift the way they did new. The Monster is in my 95 Caprice with a 96 C4 LT1 in front of it with a 3000 stall and has been beat for about 5 years now with ZERO issues. The PB is in my 94 Z running a 2400 stall and it is the same way. It has been a year now with ZERO issues. Basically both are great trans' imo.

SOM / NBM

Well i just had a major problem with my level 2 from performabuilt..Feeling vibes under power and slipping This is a level 2 which has only been on for about 3K miles of street use, i spoke with them today and he told me to send it back, ugh $250 shipping i will post updates on the out come of this horrible ordeal

blue
    2000ss

Yes I spoke to you on the phone, Symptoms are at best strange however we will take a look and see whats going on.
    Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information