black
    2002 camaro z28

Noise coming from flywheel?

I think the flywheel is toast. Took my -2002 Z28 automatic- for a drive today and got on it good today ,I guess to good. After I slowed down I here what sounds like a broken fan blade sound coming from the engine during accelartion . I pulled over and verified that it was not the engine or electric fan blades. I then drove it home and with my good buddies help we jacked it up. I took of a access cover off that gave me access to the flywheel and I find some cracks on it right near the outer edges. For the past few months I would her a nasty sound when I cranked over the starter motor. I didnt think too much about it just thought the starter was going. Now when it starts it sounds like crap makes all kinds of sounds. My buddies says that Its the cracks in the fly wheel that is making the sounds as i'm driving. The car still shifts fine but I'm babied all the way home. My question is could the torque converter be toast also. I noticed while I drive the noise goes away for a brief second during the gear upshifts. the comes back. I also put in gear and lightly brake torqued it and no noise.
    I also had the tranny rebuilt about 8 months ago. I wonder if they did somthing wrong.. Please any info will help

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

the converter is probably ok, just replace the flexplate and see if your noise is gone. I suspect it will be.

black
    2002 camaro z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    the converter is probably ok, just replace the flexplate and see if your noise is gone. I suspect it will be.
    Thanks for the info. I called the traany shop and will drop it off this wednesday. I will let reply with the outcome thursday or friday.

Thanks again

Black
    1998 Z28

98-02 had 2 varieties of flexplates,98 had flexplates with round holes(not the bolt holes),they converted over to flexplates with 'peanut shaped' holes which are prone to cracking. the good flexplates are no longer available. repair/replacement requires a aftermarket SFI approved flexpate. your tranny should be OK.

black
    2002 camaro z28

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    98-02 had 2 varieties of flexplates,98 had flexplates with round holes(not the bolt holes),they converted over to flexplates with 'peanut shaped' holes which are prone to cracking. the good flexplates are no longer available. repair/replacement requires a aftermarket SFI approved flexpate. your tranny should be OK.
    If its bad i will use SFI approved. I found a couple different ones . The car is at the tranny shop right now. I'm not looking forward to the call tomorrow though. I will post the results

black
    2002 camaro z28

I just got off the phone with the tranny shop. The flex plate is craked from the inside all the way to the outsid. The trans and converter are good. But even better news the replaced it for free with a SFI approved one ( not sure what brand name) , I don't owe any money and I pick it up tomorrow. WOW good deal. There are still honest people in this world. I hope to get the old one back and post a few pics.

Black
    1998 Z28

Excellent !!!

Since it was 'free',they might not return the cracked one,if they won't,take pics of it at the repair facility.
    Last edited by oldmanZ28; 06-16-2010 at 03:09 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

here ya go

black
    2002 camaro z28

Thanks bud . I'm a little rusty with the uploads

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Black
    1998 Z28

the flexplate with the 'peanut' shaped holes problem.

white
    2002 z28

been there done that!! glad u fixed it before it got worse!!!

black
    2002 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2002blackz28 View Post
    I just got off the phone with the tranny shop. The flex plate is craked from the inside all the way to the outsid. The trans and converter are good. But even better news the replaced it for free with a SFI approved one ( not sure what brand name) , I don't owe any money and I pick it up tomorrow. WOW good deal. There are still honest people in this world. I hope to get the old one back and post a few pics.
    Well its been about 4 months or so since I found out that my flex plate was cracked. well lets get to it, last thursday after work I jumped in and started my car and heard this nasty sound coming from under my car. To say the least I was pissed. I tried to figure it out by laying on the ground and it sounded like it was coming from the tranny flex plate area. I drove it home about 6 miles and the sound went away. The next morning jumped in to go to work same sound . When the car warms up the sound goes away almost completly. So today after work I drove it to the tranny shop I told them what it sounded like and told them to call me when they figured it out.

black
    2002 camaro z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 2002blackz28 View Post
    Well its been about 4 months or so since I found out that my flex plate was cracked. well lets get to it, last thursday after work I jumped in and started my car and heard this nasty sound coming from under my car. To say the least I was pissed. I tried to figure it out by laying on the ground and it sounded like it was coming from the tranny flex plate area. I drove it home about 6 miles and the sound went away. The next morning jumped in to go to work same sound . When the car warms up the sound goes away almost completly. So today after work I drove it to the tranny shop I told them what it sounded like and told them to call me when they figured it out.
    After about 4 hours they called and told me its ready to be picked up. They told me one of the torqe converter bolts was loose. This is the 3rd time ive taken it to them since the tranny rebuild. Should they be using loctiteon the bolts or what. the first time the flex plate bolts came loose and destroyed it. They admitted fault and put a new one in this time the converter bolt or bolts were loose. They admitted fault the fixed. Not sure but there seems to be a lot of hours wasted here from not checked the torqe or not using loctite on them.. I know a tranny shop charges 300 to 400 bucks just to swap a tranny out. They have taken mine out 3 times including the original rebuild. Well I hope nothing else goes wrong with any tranny bolts. My car only has about 320H.P at the wheels and I don't beat the heck of it 24/7.....Just thought I would post this to help other F-Bodys out

Thread Information