Thread: Need advice

Black
    1999 Z28

Unhappy Need advice

Okay - so on the way to work today, my car starts just revving ridiculously high - I tapped the throttle and it seemed to kick in and I finished my trip to work w/ no problems (~25 miles total one way) It was a chilly morning, so I attributed it to that (a wish I guess) So, I left work in a hurry today - had an appt. I couldn't miss and didn't have time to look at the tranny or anything. Got 1/4 way home and it did the same thing, although this time it was WAY worse - it wouldn't recover. It would only work in 2nd gear. I kind of nursed it home,all the while apparently destroying it. I added 1 qt of transmission fluid to get the level just right. I'm guessing I'm screwed, since this did absolutely nothing to improve drivability.

So, any suggestions? I'd love to have an M6, but I don't have $3500, or whatever it costs to swap..but at the same time, if I'm going to have to spend almost that much to get decent auto w/ a torque convertor, should I do it anyway?? Looking for advice, ideas on keeping the cost down, vendors you could suggest, etc...anything at all would help. New or used??

Car has 165k miles on it w/ motor rebuilt at 100k so it is not a real long term car, although I plan to replace the engine too at some point since I like the car itself quite a bit. (I sold my 69 at 18 cuz I needed the $ - I will probably never sell another camaro again, so this car is stuck w/ me)

The only bright spot in all of this is I've been wanting to change my engine oil pan gasket -- major leak, so this will encourage me to get this done and probably save me paying a mechanic since I will have it all tore down.

I will do all the work myself too, so if having special tools is an issue w/ any suggestions, let me know -- I have access to quite a few things, but not all.

Take care and thanks ahead of time!!
    Jay

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sounds like maybe the 3-4 clutch went out. You could band-aid fix it by replacing just the 3-4 clutch pack and the related seals and gaskets

Black
    1999 Z28

Thanks Cutlass --- is it normal to just go all of the sudden?? I put a lot of miles on the car obviously, but there have been no visible leaks of tranny fluid either.. I just checked it about 2 months ago and it was fine, but obviously it went somewhere. Just seems crazy it happened so quickly.

Any clue what cost would be on the band-aid fix?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

few hundred bucks if you do it all yourself.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would have a shop check it. Also I looked into at a M6 swap and it costs a lot more than a good A4. I have seen specials at shops for $1500 installed and a good converter is $725.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information