Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Is my 4L60 taking a dump?

Last night I went to pass someone. I was in OD running 70ish and held it to the floorboard. Instead of the normal kick down and go, it kicked down into what felt like neutral and tagged the rev limiter. I immediately throttled out of the car and eased back into it. No problems. This afternoon I went to pick my kids up and kicked it a bit from a stop and it felt more like a slip this time. 1-2 shift was firm and normal but the car was spinning. I feathered it and the then the shift happened. I got back in it and it reved. It didn't feel like tires but I could be paranoid from last night. So I checked my tranmission fluid. The color is good, it doesn't smell burnt. But there was this grayish stuff on the dip stick. If I had to describe it as anything, I'd say it look and felt like a very very thin coat of anti-seize like you'd put on headbolt threads. I'm afraid this is going to be bad...any thoughts? 115K miles with mods in sig.
    Y2K SS A4 Y2Y GU5: 12.96@106-SLP FLO PAC|P&P Stock TB | Pacesetter LT's | TSP Rumbler X Duals | B&M Trans Cooler | Rear Tubular LCA's w/ Relocation Brackets | Tubular PHB | SFC's | Diablo Sport Tuning

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm not too well versed with the auto trans as I'm a M6, but I had something similar happen to one of my other cars a while back. I flushed the transmission fluid and filled her with new and she was good to go.

I was also low on tranny fluid though. It seems like your fluid level and color are OK. You might want to try that first if you haven't done so in a while along with replacing the filter.

You could also make sure your transmission cooler fins are free of debris. Keeping the tranny fluid cool will keep the fluid from breaking down quicker.

I know they sell additives that are suppose to help with the seals, but I don't know if those are recommended for our cars or not.

Subscribed.

Otherwise, free bump for ya for someone more versed in an A4.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i had a friend with this same experience, and all i can tell you is he got a new trans....i dont know if it was necessary, cause he didnt wait around to find out if it was bad.....

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I'm researching 4L60 additives and was planning on doing a fluid/filter change. I'm trying to find a more "high performance" fluid that doesn't break down as fast and what not. Thanks for the bumps and I'm hoping someone that transmission smart chimes in. Otherwise I'll post what ever happens when I change the fluid...but this thread may die before I deal with it. Found out right after I posted it that a short notice deployment is happening and I'll be gone for a few months and leaving in the next few weeks. So she may be a garage queen until I get home. But that could mean I save money and blow it on a bunch of car parts when I get home...either way...I'll be happy. Thanks again!

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

sounds like clutches. No pro here but my friends tranny did that and mine just stayed in neutral mode haha

Listen Up, the Gray "stuff" on the dip stick is a film that Happens throught the transmission, Its a mixture of everything in the transmission, the oil breaking down, the very fine Shavings of metal and aluminium, some of the debris from the casting,basicly everything. You can wipe the stick clean and in a couple weeks of driveing it'll re appear...it's really nothing to be alarmed about..Salesmen use this to lure unsuspecting customers into an overhaul...I call it mud and sludge, and clean it when rebuilding a unit...In your case I'd be more concered about the down shift.. sounds like to me..... maybe the 3.. 4 clutchs let loose, thats the normal problem with these units. Hope this helps Dave

too many to list
    1964 Chevy El Camino

If you don't mind my asking, how long has it been since you last changed the fluid? Just because its red and doesn't smell doesn't always mean things are super. I would pull the pan and change the filter and check to see how much grey material is in the bottom. A little is normal wear and tear, but if there are any pieces and a heavy layer of gunk its close to rebuild time.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Drop the pan and look for clutch debris, should be all over in the bottom of the pan and stuck to the magnet.

I bet it's the clutches or just the 3-4 clutch pack.

AKA rebuild it with something stronger or replace the clutches.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Dan31 View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, how long has it been since you last changed the fluid? Just because its red and doesn't smell doesn't always mean things are super. I would pull the pan and change the filter and check to see how much grey material is in the bottom. A little is normal wear and tear, but if there are any pieces and a heavy layer of gunk its close to rebuild time.
    It was serviced in August 2008 and has about 8,000 miles put on it since then. It sat for a few months while I was deployed in 2010 but other than that I put a few miles on it every other week or so.

Thread Information