blue
    99 T/A A4

might cross over to gm/need help!

im looking at a possible good deal on a firebird ls1 with the 4l60e auto...
    as of right now it doesnt move...
    turns on on the first crank, but does not move...you shift it into D and nothing(revs drop alittle like if its catching)...will not go forward or back...
    thats the only thing holding me up...
    owner said transmission was rebuilt and slapped back in with a converter and after that no movement...could it be something simple or should i stay with what i have now and avoid problems...
    thanks

sorry for the double post just found the right forum

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Well, that is a big shot in the dark because you can throw parts at a 4l60e and waist your money if you don't take the time to build it right. If the converter was not changed after the problem (what ever that was that caused them to rebuild it) then there is a good chance that if the trans broke and had metal floating around in it that most of it ended up in the converter and is now back in the trans.
    If the converter was installed with out filling it then the pump has been hurt. could also be that the problem was in the converter and if it was reinstalled then it still needs to be torn apart.
    Most of the time in cases like this it is uaually cheaper to just take it out and plan on spending the full amount on a BUILD and not a rebuild. Another option is to just buy a preformabuilt trans and set the other aside. It will be a 2500 cost but people beat on them hard and most never have issues.
    Torque converters should always be changed if a trans blows up. the only way to clean them out is to rebuild them and most shops and personal garages cant do this or have no clue how. I would factor in the 2500+ for the trans and make your choice based on that and the condition of the rest of the car. You can still get camaro and firebird LS1 cars that have not been touched but just driven. You don't want to take on someone elses problems when they don't have a track record of fixing stuff. lol. I wouldn't. I would go find a higher milage stock car that has a good service record with it and then take it easy on it and build it up to what ever I want it to be.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I know the shop near me was running a sale on Stage 2 and Stage 3 tranny and the stall staring under $2000 installed since you need one based off the mods the price can go up especially on the stalls I have seen. You can get a high performance stall or the pro preformance single and multi disc setups depending on what mods you plan on adding.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information