Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Major trans problem...

I took the T/A to work today, got off work, turned it on, and no reverse. When i go into reverse and give it throttle, it feels like theres an invisible brake on the gear. For instance, imagine this; You have drag radials on a stock car, you hold the brake and gas at the same time. The engine just revs up to like 2k but doesnt go anywhere. Thats what its doing in reverse. And if i put the car in neutral, it goes forward as if it were in drive. All other gears work, it drives fine (as far as i can tell) because i drove it home with no problems until i had to back into the garage. It does have a shift kit, but that was installed 2-3 months ago with no previous problems. I know the kit was installed correctly because i had to take it apart 3 times. After the 3rd time, i made SURE it was perfect. The filter was changed at that time, with all new fluid. Fluid level is good. I dont beat on it, its a weekend car that gets driven maybe 5-7 times a month. Its not throwing any lights, but i havnt checked for any codes with the Predator yet. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

blue
    2000ss

Your forward clutch is seized, Sorry but your gonna need a rebuild or a built replacement trans

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Not to doubt you, but anyone else have an idea on the matter? Id rather get a couple opinions before i go spending thousands on a new trans. Thanks for the reply though.

blue
    2000ss

Well the facts are these,
    Goes forward in every gear except park and then I bet it will try and reverse when it is like the brake is on,
    The only way that can happen is if the forward clutch is seized which will try and make it go forward, Reverse and it will try to go but 2 ways at once and I imagine in OD it drives pretty well normal.

But in anycase dosent sound good at all I can think of no easy fix that could cause this.

NBM
    99 TA

aren't you trying to trade this car in on something else?
    let the stealership deal with it

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

I was inches away from trading it in on a yellow terminator but we couldnt agree on a price so i walked away. Im looking for a C5 now.

I'll put it in the air tonight and see if maybe something came loose from the shift kit install. Who knows...

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Little update; The reverse problem has since come and gone. I let it idle for a while, and revved it up a couple times in R while holding the brake. Eventually it jumped forward. I let off the brake, problem solved.

Now, its not shifting into 2 and 3 right. It feels as though the clutch were slipping, if it were a manual. Ill coast up to speed, and it will fall into some neutral state, revving without accel, then randomly shift. Same for 2-3, but less time elapsed. Only thing im guna try now is some MAF cleaner.

I dont drive the car often at all, so its not a big deal if it sits for a while. I'd just like to get all the sunny days in before it gets cold and hibernates in the garage for winter.

Thread Information