Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Thumbs up Just Installed Tranny Cooler(PICS!!)

well like the title says ...i bought a tranny cooler from advance and me n my friend had installed a tranny cooler on it like 3 days....its awesome! smoother shifts(prolly all in my head) and just the thought of having a tranny with prolonged life kicks ass picked this up from another thread cuz the search here doesnt work for some reaon ..oh and i knowi need to wash the inside..no need to point out...good mod for 40 bux

is the fluid level correct with the cooler,cuz it will take more fluid....the onlt thing i can think is maybe the pcm is seeing a cooler fluid and lowering the line pressure in attempt to make it shift smoother becuase what it thinks is cold fluid..cool fluid will make a tranny shift harder but with the computer strategy it may be trying to comensate for that
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Last edited by 35thAnniZ28; 12-29-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: fixed pics

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would like to see how you ran the lines around the radiator. I've had mine on for a couple of years but need to go back and redo my lines. They're pretty ghetto really.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

yeah ill take pics tommorrow...cut it as short as it could without slipping ..it was impossible not to bend the fins..whats wrong with your lines?! heat deteriated them?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

nope, just the way I routed them around the radiator. I made them longer than I really needed to because I was concerned about them collapsing when they got hot so they kinda go out past the radiator then double back to it. Well, that's the top fitting. The bottom one isn't near as bad.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

would you think i need a fan like this one?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

oh yeah..while the installation...a large amount of fluid was released...but i put a whole bottle back in..but i have a suspicion i put too much..i heard theres a different way to checking the tranny fluid..how would it go?

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

from what i understand you fill the the tranny to the bottom of the fill plug. there is a drain plug(lower plug) and a fill plug(upper plug), you fill the tranny through the fill plug up with fluid until it starts to overflow. then its full, you were gonna need to add more fluid anyway to fill the tranny cooler.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    oh yeah..while the installation...a large amount of fluid was released...but i put a whole bottle back in..but i have a suspicion i put too much..i heard theres a different way to checking the tranny fluid..how would it go?
    get the car up to operating temp and on a flat level surface idling and check it.

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

How did you route the cooler ? I am curious because most people route it out let transmission to trans cooler, to radiator to inlet transmission line set up but the the guy that put in my cam & stall says i should route like this. outlet Transmission to radiator to transcooler to inlet transmission line . I am just curious because i have the transcooler mounted but i need to route the lines.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

I routed mine bypassing stock cooler.

2K LPM Z28 M6- GMHTP StreetHeat feature Nov 12- Camaro Performers Readers' Rides feature Nov 12
    2K4 BS G35 sedan 5AT

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have mine going to the radiator first then to the cooler. The reason I did that is because if you go to the cooler first then it'll go from the cooler to the radiator which is at like 160 degrees or something so I let it go there first then further cool it with the tranny cooler. Hope that makes sense. Plus that line from the tranny has high pressure fittings so if you just let it go to the radiator first you don't have to mess with those fittings.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

i did mine going to the cooler then going to the radiator....is there a difference vice versa?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I sorta explained it in my last post but I'll explain it better this time and I'm not sure if there's a right or wrong way. I just did it to how it makes sense. Don't pay any attention to the temp numbers because I'm making them up.

Let's say your fluid comes out of your tranny at 170 and it goes into your tranny cooler first which takes 20 degrees off of it. Now your fluid that is 150 enters the radiator which is at 160 so it's actually cooler than the fluid it's passing through.
    Now flip that and your 170 fluid goes through the radiator which takes 10 degrees off of it then the 160 degree fluid passes through your cooler last which takes 20 degrees off it and it's now at 140 going back to the tranny.
    Like I said, the numbers don't really mean anything. I was showing my theory as to why the cooler should be last.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I need to rerun mine as well, every time I take a pic of my car, I can see the SOB hanging down a little bit. Great mod to do for auto trannies. Heat is a big killer on 4l60Es.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I was just watching horsepowertv this afternoon and saw a cool part on there they were pimping that would help with the tranny hose. It's a shapeable spring that goes over hoses to let you bend them and have them hold their angle. I forget who they said makes them but they can't be real hard to find. I'd like to have a few of those.

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I have mine going to the radiator first then to the cooler. The reason I did that is because if you go to the cooler first then it'll go from the cooler to the radiator which is at like 160 degrees or something so I let it go there first then further cool it with the tranny cooler. Hope that makes sense. Plus that line from the tranny has high pressure fittings so if you just let it go to the radiator first you don't have to mess with those fittings.
    Then I would use the transcooler line located on rt side on the radiator (passenger side) to splice in the transcooler right ?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the easy way to remember is to look at the hard lines coming from the tranny. One line has a clamp ( return line) and the line coming from the tranny to the radiator has the high pressure fittings on it. That's your source line from the tranny.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I've been thinking of doing a cooler like this.

I was wondering though if it would interfere with the later installation of a Fast Toys or Austin Ram Air. It seems to sit right where the ducting would go.

Anyone run one of these R/A's with a cooler?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can mount the tranny cooler pretty much anywhere. Yes, in front of the radiator would probably get in the way although that's me just guessing. You can mount them flat under the car somewhere too. Keep in mind that mounted flat out of the air stream they won't cool as well as they do in front of the radiator.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Damn I printed out a write up that a guy did on a B&M cooler install, I will have to find it and post up the site and see how he ran the lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information