Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

How does a stall work???

I have a 98z28 with a a4 trans.My car is stock except for a lid,k and n, and msd wires but I am putting headers/catback on soon. I am going to get my transmission rebuilt in the near future and was wondering about a different stall for my car. Does the stall work by holding the brake in on the car and allowing the rpms to build up and then releasing the brake? If I get a 3000 stall will my car shift into 2nd gear under 3000 rpms when I am driving around town? I am unsure how it would affect my car driving around town. Could you guys explain how this works?? THANKS

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

http://www.fuddleracing.com/WhatConvertersDo.html

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter2.htm

these links explain it very well. it has nothing to do with the brake, it acts more like a clutch.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thank you bud

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

no problem

Pewter
    99 Z/28

i want a stall too cuz that deadzone sux.
    so a stall will not effect your gas mileage unless you have a heavy foot which would make it seem heavier? lol

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

a stall can effect your gas mileage depending on which one you get. some are looser than others which may make you give the carmore gas to get it moving but others drive just like stock. Just talk to the companys and find one that you like and then post on here and see if anyone has any opinions on that stall. I run a Fuddle Racing converter. 3280 stall and 2.2 STR. I love it and have had no issues with it but I lose maybe 2 mpg in the city when driving normally and nothing on the highway.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Not to hijack the thread but it seems pointless to start another. I am considering getting a stall myself but I am curious if there is any risk of damange to the car with these. All the hard jerking and all. Also say I get a 2800 stall. If I am in rush hour type stop n go traffic does this mean I would have to rev the car to 2800 just to get the wheels turning. My car is essintally a daily driver and I could possibly see that beeing a problem in traffic where ya know you drive up 5 feet then stop and 5 more blah blah or even drive thrus for that matter. Apolgies to deadbydawn once again I don't mean to steal your thread atall. Thanks ahead of time guys!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but it seems pointless to start another. I am considering getting a stall myself but I am curious if there is any risk of damange to the car with these. All the hard jerking and all. Also say I get a 2800 stall. If I am in rush hour type stop n go traffic does this mean I would have to rev the car to 2800 just to get the wheels turning. My car is essintally a daily driver and I could possibly see that beeing a problem in traffic where ya know you drive up 5 feet then stop and 5 more blah blah or even drive thrus for that matter. Apolgies to deadbydawn once again I don't mean to steal your thread atall. Thanks ahead of time guys!
    id also like to know the same thing. now im subscribed.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

No by all means ask what you want to know.Its cool. If you go to the top of this thread he gave me some links that explain all this and more. Check them out.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

well i learned something today

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

To answer your question above, No you would not have to rev up the car to the rated stall speed just to get the car moving. The car will feel slightly different depending on the converter you get like I explained above and you may have to give it a little more gas than you did before but it will still drive almost like stock, especially with a baby stall like a 2800. When you floor your car then that it when it will flash stall to 2800 rpms and will be just like if you dumped the clutch from that rpm only without any sort of bogging. I hope that answers your question

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

its really hard to imagine all of this without actually seeing/feeling/experiencing it personally. id really like to get a ride in a stalled car just to see what the hell ur all talking about lol

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

being a passenger you wouldnt even be able to tell. just imagine a car with a slipping transmission or a manual car with a slipping clutch. even when the clutch is all the way out and engaged you have to give it more gas to get it to compensate for the slipping. Same effect with a stall converter which is why you need to run a transmission cooler (aftermarket) with it. All that slipping that the converter does causes alot of heat within your tranny

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    being a passenger you wouldnt even be able to tell. just imagine a car with a slipping transmission or a manual car with a slipping clutch. even when the clutch is all the way out and engaged you have to give it more gas to get it to compensate for the slipping. Same effect with a stall converter which is why you need to run a transmission cooler (aftermarket) with it. All that slipping that the converter does causes alot of heat within your tranny
    i also would imagine its kind of a pain in the ass as a DD then?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

not at all. your car just acts a little differently. after you get used to it then you think other cars are the ones that are wierd lol

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

With a stall under 3000 it will feel almost stock when driving normal. You will notice it a little more if your starting out on a hill in traffic due to the extra resistance. Just don't go to big for a daily and you'll be fine. Make sure you get a good quality tranny cooler! The Subaru SVX's are stalled around 2800 from the factory. Other smaller motored cars that are supposed to be sporty will have a bit higher than normal factory stall too.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

so say ur idling at whatever, about 1k for sake of discussion. u hit the gas about 10% but real quickly. are you not going to feel any torque since ur not up to 3800rpms yet (if thats what ur stalls at) or is ur car jsut not gonna move

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

if you hit the gas pedal quickly it feels almost like a free rev when you do it in my car with how you are describing it. I can leave my car in gear and do that with the gas pedal to rev at people as I go by because the car is expecting to flash stall. However if you just drive the car normally then it feels just about like any other car...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The car almost feels heavier when your normal driving at a low rpm. It is neat to rev at people with an auto while in gear!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    if you hit the gas pedal quickly it feels almost like a free rev when you do it in my car with how you are describing it. I can leave my car in gear and do that with the gas pedal to rev at people as I go by because the car is expecting to flash stall. However if you just drive the car normally then it feels just about like any other car...
    oh... well i kinda dont think id like that. i like the feeling of quick throttle response

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information