Thread: HELP Please

maroonZ

Question HELP Please

The SES light was on when I started the car up. I warmed it to operating temperature and drove to my girlfirends. My trans didn't seem to be kicking down correctly last night. I really had to step on the gas to get it to kick down.

Last weekend I put in a hlf quart of fluid. While I was doing that i noticed the cable going from the trans (the one with the red button on it) attached to the throttle body was very lose. Could this be the problem?

Also could the any issues with the trans cause the SES light to come on?

You mean the trans dipstick wasn't completely locked down? Might throw a code for low line pressure or something maybe, don't know for sure. If it just came on it's probably something else, other things wrong can affect shifts - you can also get an SES light for the trans itself for like a bad/stuck solenoid or something - I'd get the code read as soon as possible.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by maroonZ
    The SES light was on when I started the car up. I warmed it to operating temperature and drove to my girlfirends. My trans didn't seem to be kicking down correctly last night. I really had to step on the gas to get it to kick down.

Last weekend I put in a hlf quart of fluid. While I was doing that i noticed the cable going from the trans (the one with the red button on it) attached to the throttle body was very lose. Could this be the problem?

Also could the any issues with the trans cause the SES light to come on?
    Does the 4L60 still use a throttle valve? There is a proper adjustment for the Throttle-Valve cable to the transmission. If you think that cable is too slack, you might want to get it checked out.

The throttle-valve boosts transmission line pressure in accordance with the throttle position. Too little pressure + too much throttle = slipping clutches + heat = time to overhaul transmission.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Does the 4L60 still use a throttle valve? There is a proper adjustment for the Throttle-Valve cable to the transmission. If you think that cable is too slack, you might want to get it checked out.

The throttle-valve boosts transmission line pressure in accordance with the throttle position. Too little pressure + too much throttle = slipping clutches + heat = time to overhaul transmission.
    Uuuuuummmmmmmmm, 1980 was SO 26 years ago. It's 2006, we have cell phones and computers and remote start so our cars start themselves (still excited about the install, sorry) oh, and electronic trannies.

Haha, ok no we don't have a t valve, that's electronically controlled.

Thread Information