Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

heat shielding the transmission

Hey guys, I have a custom dual setup that runs really close to the transmission. Problem is that my transmission is heating up from the exhaust, the tranny cooler cant keep up and it wants to slip when im in 4th. By the way I have a stall and shift kit. What I was wondering is if it would hurt the transmission to put heat tape around it to sheild from the exhaust or would that hurt it more by keeping heat in the transmission. If thats the case do you think that maybe header wrap would work on the section of exhaust that is close to the transmission?? Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.
    LS6 Engine swap, Custom Predator Tune, Lid, SLP Cold Air, Ram Air H.O. Hood, Hooker Long Tubes, !Cats, 3" True Duals w/Dynomax Bullets, Performabuilt stage 2 w/3600 stall, B&M Trans. Cooler, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73's

Pics of my car
    http://community.webshots.com/user/demonspeed_ta

blue
    2000ss

Header wrap would seem like the best option but unless the exhuast is in direct contact with the trans I would doubt that so much heat could transfer as to cause a problem. I would make sure I was 1 getting lockup and consider a bigger cooler.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

thanks, i did the header wrap and it seemed to help a little but didnt cure the prob. Oddly enough my exhaust now sounds deeper and a little smoother(?), I wouldnt have thought that would change the sound. Ive had several diff. people notice it so im not crazy, well not in this case anyways. I guess the only option now is a bigger cooler like you said. Thanks again.

blue
    2000ss

The wrap will dampen vibration and change the harmonic but still get a bigger cooler or a fan for you exsisting one

Thread Information