pewter
    99 Trans Am

Have anyone used type f trans fluid in there 99 trans am?

Have anyone used or is using type F fluid in there 99 or later trans am trans?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No, and I do not really recommend it either. Using Type F in a GM transmission is an old rodder's trick for firmer shifts and better feel. The rule of thumb these days is to only use the older style fluids - Type F, Dex III, etc... in older GM transmissions like TH350, TH400, 2004R, and so forth. The newer transmissions should all utilize Dex VI. There was a good article about this exact same question in a recent issue of Hagerty, I believe.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Have anyone used type f trans fluid in there 99 trans am?

I'll add this. the older T56 like in the 98 only like Dexron III transmission fluid. Tick suspects that the IV I put in killed my transmission and required my rebuild from them. They believe IV eats away at the friction material on the syncros and once they're gone everything else starts to go to shit.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    No, and I do not really recommend it either. Using Type F in a GM transmission is an old rodder's trick for firmer shifts and better feel. The rule of thumb these days is to only use the older style fluids - Type F, Dex III, etc... in older GM transmissions like TH350, TH400, 2004R, and so forth. The newer transmissions should all utilize Dex VI. There was a good article about this exact same question in a recent issue of Hagerty, I believe.
    Can you remove the fluid from the torque convertor, if so how?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Only two ways that I know of -- physically removing it from the car and dumping it out or a power flush where fluid is drained and added, usually via a cooler line, with the engine running. The transmission basically pumps out the old fluid on its own while a flush machine adds the same amount back in. Not optimal, but you could probably disconnect the return line and let it push out a quart or two. Shut down, top off the fluid and repeat until you have clean fluid. I would not do this though until checking the flow paths to ensure that nothing internal will be left running dry during the manual flush process. So long as the cooler return line is simply dropping the fluid back into the pan this would work just fine.

Thread Information