Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

Extremely hard to get out of park

I have a automatic tranny in my z28 and whenever it sits for a while, like overnight, it is extremely hard to get out of park. The button is getting stuck on something and i can't push it down but once i get it out of park it is fine until the next morning. I have pulled apart the counsel and greased that all up. I have also messed with the cable by the tranny but still no luck. anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it?

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 1998z28 View Post
    I have a automatic tranny in my z28 and whenever it sits for a while, like overnight, it is extremely hard to get out of park. The button is getting stuck on something and i can't push it down but once i get it out of park it is fine until the next morning. I have pulled apart the counsel and greased that all up. I have also messed with the cable by the tranny but still no luck. anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it?
    i had the exact same problem. once you got it out of park once it works fine every time after, right? i did what you did, lube everything, pulled the knob to check its operation, nothing worked. bought an aftermarket shifter knob, t-handle style with the button on the end,[firebird style]. works perfectly every time! could be that the camaro style is pushing straight down on the release shaft, and the firebird style is sliding across the shaft performing a wedge type action to push it down.[?] actually thats what it is doing, i meant that may be why it works better. check ebay for finger grip t- handle shifter or something close to that.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 05-08-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Sounds like your parking pawls. Its recommended to put the ebrake on prior to putting the tranny in park. This will keep stress off the tranny and should resolve your problem about being difficult to get out of park. Remember to apply the ebrake prior to putting it in park though
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Sounds like your parking pawls. Its recommended to put the ebrake on prior to putting the tranny in park. This will keep stress off the tranny and should resolve your problem about being difficult to get out of park. Remember to apply the ebrake prior to putting it in park though
    no, not in my case. i parked in the garage [level floor] and it would work smooth as silk, came out the next morning and it was stuck[or at least very stiff maybe] again. after getting it to move the first time it worked smooth as silk all day. now it works great all the time. dont know exactly why except the other style handle was the cure. just to clarify my situation, it wasnt getting it out of park,but actually getting the button to push in to operate the pushrod to get it out of park that was the problem. didnt appear to be anything wrong with the plunger or anything else. binding pawls wouldve shown up after pushing the button in and trying to pull the shifter back. its kinda wierd, and maybe a little long winded too for a seemingly simple problem.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 05-08-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

well i will try the e brake thing tonight and see if it is any better in the morning. i will let you know if it works. thanks for the tip

black
    02 vette vert

well i will try the e brake thing tonight and see if it is any better in the morning. i will let you know if it works. thanks for the tip
    if youre parking on a hill, put the e brake on before putting in park and if that works youre good to go, dont forget to pull it out of park before you release the brake or you defeat the purpose. if its the button is pushing hard still i think youre back to my solution.

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    if youre parking on a hill, put the e brake on before putting in park and if that works youre good to go, dont forget to pull it out of park before you release the brake or you defeat the purpose. if its the button is pushing hard still i think youre back to my solution.
    the e brake thing didn't work, and my driveway is level so i know that is not the problem. tomorrow i am going to try to grease everything up one more time as one final attempt, although i don't expect it to work but you never know.

black
    02 vette vert

the e brake thing didn't work, and my driveway is level so i know that is not the problem. tomorrow i am going to try to grease everything up one more time as one final attempt, although i don't expect it to work but you never know.
    ebay motors item #350199681037.

black
    02 vette vert

just wondering how you made out and if you tried a t-handle style yet?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sounds like a problem with the BTSI (pronouced Bitsy) with stands for Brake Transmission Shift Interlock. When you press the brake pedal, the BTSI solenoid lets the button be drepressed. Try replacing the BTSI solenoid or just mechanically unhook it from the shifter if you don't want that safety feature.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Sounds like a problem with the BTSI (pronouced Bitsy) with stands for Brake Transmission Shift Interlock. When you press the brake pedal, the BTSI solenoid lets the button be drepressed. Try replacing the BTSI solenoid or just mechanically unhook it from the shifter if you don't want that safety feature.
    i still have to go back to my experience, exact same problem,going from a push straight down button to an end button which slides across and wedges the shaft down solved the problem. original knob works perfectly free and smooth off the car also. i know youre thinking there must be something else, but trust me this solved the problem. its not like i can push harder on this style either, it just works perfectly smooth every time.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Red face

ahhh I see. The first time I read your post I thought you put an aftermarket shifter in it, which would most likely not use a BTSI. But I see you actually said "aftermarket shifter knob."

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    just wondering how you made out and if you tried a t-handle style yet?
    Funny you mention it because i left it alone and it started working like it should for like the past week, until today anyways and it was hard again. It has been warm lately until today, it seems like it only acts up when it is colder outside. I just don't get it.

black
    02 vette vert

Funny you mention it because i left it alone and it started working like it should for like the past week, until today anyways and it was hard again. It has been warm lately until today, it seems like it only acts up when it is colder outside. I just don't get it.
    dont feel bad, mines fixed and i still dont get it.

Thread Information