red
    2000 trans am ws6

Edge Converters???

I am in the process of researching and finding a converter for my WS6. I stumbled across Edge converters. Has anybody heard anything about Edge good or bad. From there website it seems like its a customer friendly company, they say they will custom build a converter to fit your application. The prices seem pretty reasonable if its a good product. Does anybody know anything about there converters?

edge

from what i have heard from my customers and from people on the impalassforum.com they are very good converters , very efficent design , remember if you are going to use a 3000 rpm or higher stall you need to disable the pwm function which is done in the transgo kit , or you can alternatly stake the valve and also you should remove the encapsulated check ball from the end of your input shaft , this will cause stronger apply of the tcc clutch and add life to it considerably , it will actually end up feeling like a 5th gear ,
    megamax

Black
    99 SS

i have one in my car now, but having trans problems not associated with the converter, i have a buddy who has a 3,600 with a stock LS1 and 3.73 gears and i wittnessed him run a 12.2

trans problems

what type problems are you having with the tranny .maybe i can help

Black
    99 SS

haha, dude if u rode in it you would laugh at it, lol

ok well this company that did the rebuild a month and a half ago built it to their stage 3 which they said could hold over 900hp, so i guess they replaced everything in it with the converter, im only about 400 to the wheels so its not like its a TON of power. anyways when in OD it slips out of gear and goes to neutral, then builds pressure back and goes back i know this is solenoid(sp) not holding pressure and last time i took it back it burnt the 3-4 clutch pack out, also it sometimes does not want to down shift at all, then it jerks around all over the place at Lower RPMs. and not shfit hard like it should and slips all over keep in mind it has been to the trans shop 4 times already and about to be a 5th this week. and its my daily car, yea im fed up with it

troubles

it sounds like you may have a combination of things happening , did you have pcm reprogramed to work with the high stall edge converter , generally reprograming is required for anything over 2500 rpm or you will get crazy shifts and in some cases codes , which by the way are you setting any codes , the troubles you are mentioning are confusing , jumping out of gear could be a input sprag but also could the the ecm seeing to much slip due to high stall converter and dropping out of fourth thinking theres a problem . also temp to high can cause this , the 3-4 frictions dying is a preasure related problem however ,
    as i said i think you have a multitude of different issue ,
    if they used a shift kit transgo or other make sure they did not use the little pluig in plate for 3-4 clutch acccumulator feed particularly if your using a super billet servo , which i would assume so if it is supposed to handle all of that . that claim for power is quite high we only claim ours at 700rwhp and have had it dynoed at 680 rwhp bellow are its specifications compare what they say you have to this setup ,
    megamax

YOU ARE LOOKING AT OUR BEST 4L60E FOR THE LT1 APPLICATION ENGINES. THIS VERSION CAME OUT IN THE LATE 1993 AND WAS USED TILL THE 1998 MODEL YEAR / THIS TRANNY WAS BUILT TO TAKE THE ABUSE PLEASE READ BELOW FOR ITS COMPONETS AND FEATURES

1-THE RAYBESTOS Z PACK IS USED IN THE 3-4 CLUCTH SET THIS IS UNIQUE DESIGN CLUTCH IN A DOUBLE SIDED FORMAT IT ALLOW FOR THE FRICTION AREA OF A 14 CLUTCH GIVING IT 30 PERCENT MORE HOLDING AREA THAN EVEN THE 9 FRICTION COMERCIAL OR ALTO SET http://www.raybestospowertrain.com/mov/zpak.wmv see movie about z pack

2-THE BEAST SUNSHELL THESE ARE NEW NOT MODIFIED FACTORY SHELLS OF THERE OWN DESIGN THEY ARE CONSIDERABLY THICKER AND REINFORCED OVER THE FACTORY SUN SHELL AND IN ALL OUR YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WE HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE BREAK IN ANY APPLICATION

3-WE USE A RED ULTRA WIDE BAND ON A MACHINED DRUM THE DRUM MUST BE MACHINED AS THE SURFACE IS NOT MACHINED FROM THE FACTORY THE WAY ACCROSS EVEN A FACTORY NEW DRUM IS NOT TRUE ACCROSS THIS PROVIDES A PERFECT FRICTION AREA FOR THE BAND PROVIDING MAXIMUM HOLD IN SECOND GEAR AND WITH THE WIDER BAND YOU GET 30 MORE HOLD THAN THE STOCK BAND

4-ALL FRICTIONS AND SEALS ARE REPLACED WITH RAYBESTOS AND ALTO PERFORMANCE FRICTIONS AND SEALS

5- STEEL PREASURE PLATES ARE SPECIALLY PREPARED AND TREATED TO PROVIDE MAXIMUM HOLD AND COOLING

6- WE USE THE FAIRBANKS BILLET SERVOS IN THESE UNITS, THE 2ND SERVO BEING OVER 50 PERCENT LARGER THAN EVEN THE CORVETTE SERVO BEING THE LARGEST GM HAD TO OFFER , ALONG WITH THIS IS OUR OWN SPECIAL MODIFICATION TO PREVENT BAND CLUTCH OVERLAP COMMON WHEN SWITCHING TOTHE BILLET SERVO THUS ELIMINATING 3-4 CLUCH BURN UP COMONLY CAUSED WHEN CHANGING TO THIS VERY LARGE SERVO .IN ADDITION WE USE THE FAIRBANKS 4TH SERVO ALSO THIS SERVO GIVES 30 PERCENT MORE HOLDING IN FOURTH GEAR DUE TO ITS LARGER SIZE AND THE REPACEMENT OF THE FACTORY TEFFLON RING WITHA TRUE LIP SEAL

7-OUR PUMP IS MODIFIED FOR FULL TIME LUBE AND USES A TEN VANE SETUP THIS PREFERED OVER THE 13 VANE SINCE EVEN THOUGH THE 13 HAS MORE VANES THE SURFACE AREA IS THE SAME SO THE ADITIONAL VANES TAKE UP MORE SPACE IN THE PUMPS VOLUME AREA BUT DO NOT PROVIDE EITHER MORE PREASURE OR VOLUME IN FACT IN SOME TEST I HAVE READ THE 13 VANE WAS ACTUALLY LOWER,.IN ADDITION TO THIS WE ENLARGE THE PUMP DRAIN BACK RELEIF HOLE.AND STAKE THE PUMP BUSHING IN PLACE AND INSTALL A SEAL RETAINER CLIP TO ELIMINATE ANY POSSIBILITY OF FRONT SEAL BLOW OUT WHICH IS A WELL KNOW COMPLAINT WITH THESE UNITS , A LARGE BOOST VALVE IS ALSO INSTALLED TO IMPROVED PREASURE AND SHIFT RESPONSE

8-OUR SHIFT KIT IS A COMBINATION OF A GILL YOUNGER (MR SHIFT) AND SOME UNIQUE MOIFICATIONS OF OUR OWN UNLIKE OTHERS WE DO NOT BLOCK ACCUMULATOR CAUSING TRANMISSION TO SHIFT SLAMMIMG HARD AT ALL THROTTLE POSITION THE TRANNY WILL PREFORM AS IT WAS INTENDED WITH FIRM SHIFTS AT LIGHT THROTTLE PROGRESSIVLY INCREASING AS THROTTLE PREASURE IS INCREASED TO NECK SNAPPING TIRE SQUALING SHIFTS AT FULL THROTTLE ,IN ADDITION WE ALTER THE PWM FUNCTION TO ELIMINATE CODE 1870 ALSO A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THESE TRANNYS

SHIFT FIRMNESS IS TAILORED TO THE APPLICATION HI PERFORMANCE GETS TIRE CHIRPING ALL OUT , WHILE HEAVY DUTY TRUCK AND 4X4 APPLICATIONS GET FIRM BUT TO TO AGRESSIVE SHIFTS

THIS TRANSMISSION TYPE IS AVAILABLE IN EITHER 2WD OR 4X4 JUST SPECIFY IN PAYMENT INFORMATION AND ALLWAYS INCLUDE YOUR MAKE YEAR AND ENGINE SIZE ,

9-PLANETARY SETS ARE CAREFULLY INSPECTED AND SUNGEARS MOIFIED TO INCREASE LUBE A MUST IN PERFORMANCE APPLICATIONS .

10-ALL ELETRONICS ARE CARFULLY CHECKED AND REPLACED AS NEEDED AND ARE FULLY COMPATABLE WITH THE FACTORY AND ANY AFTERMARKET ECM THAT MAY BE USED

11-WE USE THE GM 29 ELEMENT SPRAG THE STRONGEST AVAILABLE IN THE INPUT DRUM

THIS TRANSMISSION COMES WITH EITHER A HEAVY DUTY 1200 TO 1400 STALL CONVERTER OR A PERFORMANCE OREINTED 1800 TO 2000 STALL CONVERTER BOTH ARE LOCKUP TYPE

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    haha, dude if u rode in it you would laugh at it, lol

ok well this company that did the rebuild a month and a half ago built it to their stage 3 which they said could hold over 900hp, im only about 400 to the wheels so its not like its a TON of power. anyways when in OD it slips out of gear and goes to neutral, then builds pressure back and goes back i know this is solenoid(sp) not holding pressure and last time i took it back it burnt the 3-4 clutch pack out, also it sometimes does not want to down shift at all, then it jerks around all over the place at Lower RPMs. and not shfit hard like it should and slips all over keep in mind it has been to the trans shop 4 times already and about to be a 5th this week. and its my daily car, yea im fed up with it
    Does your vehicle have any tuning mods these guys are not aware of? My experience is many folks are making mods and do not know what it is they are trying to accomplish nor what they are doing. Thats not all bad... everyone learns by trial and error. But if it has been tuned these mechanics need to be made aware of those changes. They cannot access that info using typical industry scanners.

5 times is allot. Too many. Do you know what has been replaced or repaired each visit... if not, why not? This unit has issues they do not understand or else we are not getting the entire story from you.

I think it is very unfortunate you are having soo many difficulties so soon after a major repair. This unit is not really that difficult to understand nor work on. Hate to hear it. Keep us posted. I would ask you to bring it by but I think we are too far apart... Our shops are in North Richland Hills and Seagoville, Tx.

Good Luck.

Black
    99 SS

yea, well the tunner and the transmission shop work very closely together so they know every mod i have done to the car from the last tune. there is just so many problems and not just one problem here, its really pissing me off. i know of 16 they have built this year and out of those 16 i get the shitty one of course.

thanks for all your help guys everytime i get it back they tell me what was replaced and why it was, then they say its perfect then that same day i call them and say to them its having the same problems and they need to fix it again. this currently is the only option that i have since they warrentyed it for 3 years and i have no other money to spend on a transmission, since mine is all gone on this one and it has to work.

so thanks for all the input guys ill print this out and give it to them or something like that

red
    2000 trans am ws6

I emailed Edge and they havent responded might call them later in the week. I kinda do want 1 custom built for my car. I was leaning towards a TCI 3500 stall 2.5 str but from what I hear the Higher the STR the more your car drops off top end. Im pretty sure Im getting the trans go kit when I decide on my converter.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

Edge just responded and they suggested a 3400stall with a str around 2.45. Says its under warranty for a full year with a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. The price is $525 plus ship. So if I try it and dont like I can send it back and get my money back. Does any other company offer this. I gonna have to hear more about edge before I order from them I just havent heard enough about the good or bad, but there making a damn good case for themselves.

edge is a reputable company

if you would like to ask people who have used them heavily check out impalassforum.com
    megamax

MegaMax
    Where are you located. You seem pretty knowledgeable about the high stall convertors and PWM. I get a slight chatter under light throttle and was told it was due to PWM. Any ideas?
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

we are located in davie florida

Thread Information