White
    99Trans am

does a stall eat up your tranny?

i have heard lots of rumors that stalls eat up trannies unless there built any help still trying to decide to rebuilt my tranny and then a stall or install the stall and wait until it goes out? i was thinking a 3400 tci or yank 3600 i just installed a cam and its killing my 60ft and i think a stall will help out my problem.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i dont think it necessary will eat up your tranny . . .the heat will tho. definately need to install a tranny cooler if your gettin a stall

blue
    2000ss

Well it will put more strain on during hard launches etc and as mentioned heat, Will it cause your trans to fail well thats hard to say I guess no more than any other performance mod. But truth is if your building for performance and trying to go faster things like that are in the cards its just part of the game, You play You paynow how fast did you really wanna go?

FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,1YR WAR, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL 9 AM TO 12 MIDNITE 7 DAYS OR YAHOO MESSENGER
    SALE THIS WEEK! CALL FOR DETAILS!

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    Well it will put more strain on during hard launches etc and as mentioned heat, Will it cause your trans to fail well thats hard to say I guess no more than any other performance mod. But truth is if your building for performance and trying to go faster things like that are in the cards its just part of the game, You play You paynow how fast did you really wanna go?

Click for full sizeFREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,1YR WAR, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL 9 AM TO 12 MIDNITE 7 DAYS OR YAHOO MESSENGER
    SALE THIS WEEK! CALL FOR DETAILS!
    i hit 12.40 112mph 1/4 with a 100 shot and the 60ft 1.8 and without n2o 2.2 60ft 13.30 110mph i want to get into the 11's that is my goal

blue
    2000ss

Well the 100 shot is likely much harder on the trans than a converter would be but honestly going into the 11s particularly low 11s you will likely need a well built trans in the not to distance future if you get there, The stock 60e is actually only rated to around 370ish hp of course that varies up and down with rear ratio/weight etc
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

A high stall will eat up your wallet though

SteveC

sebring silver
    2000 z28

In my opinion i think a stall is better for your tranny as long as you have a good cooler and all the new updates to the tranny such as a transgo high rev shift kit that allows the tranny to stay primed at high rpm, beast shell, and wide 2nd gear band. the stock converter weight twice as much as a stall so when you shift from 1-2 and 2-3 the lighter stall will provide more of a cushion during the shift therefore being easier on hard parts such as input and output shaft etc.

the right way will be to build the tranny with all the upgrades, stall in 2800-3600 range, and gears if you don't have 'em( 3.73 )my suggestion

check out my sig. rebuilt tranny with transgo kit, billet servos,etc. Going on 8 months of hard street racing. Still stock internals in motor
    2000 auto camaro
    13.54 @ 104 2.049 60' stock 2.73

12.94 @ 109 2.002 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 555r 2.73

11.899 @ 114.44 1.686 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 245/50-16 555r 3.73 moser 12-bolt 2800 fuddle, ls6 intake manifold, slp under drive pully,fiberglass hood, bmr k-member

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    In my opinion i think a stall is better for your tranny as long as you have a good cooler and all the new updates to the tranny such as a transgo high rev shift kit that allows the tranny to stay primed at high rpm, beast shell, and wide 2nd gear band. the stock converter weight twice as much as a stall so when you shift from 1-2 and 2-3 the lighter stall will provide more of a cushion during the shift therefore being easier on hard parts such as input and output shaft etc.

the right way will be to build the tranny with all the upgrades, stall in 2800-3600 range, and gears if you don't have 'em( 3.73 )my suggestion

check out my sig. rebuilt tranny with transgo kit, billet servos,etc. Going on 8 months of hard street racing. Still stock internals in motor
    wow those are impresive numbers without nitrous the input and output shaft is that where the planetary gears are?

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    Well the 100 shot is likely much harder on the trans than a converter would be but honestly going into the 11s particularly low 11s you will likely need a well built trans in the not to distance future if you get there, The stock 60e is actually only rated to around 370ish hp of course that varies up and down with rear ratio/weight etc
    i know silver camaro gave me some suggestions on what parts to install internally but is there a kit i can buy with all i need to rebuilt my tranny

i just built my 10 bolt moser axles eaton posi 3.73

sebring silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99w69kitt View Post
    wow those are impresive numbers without nitrous the input and output shaft is that where the planetary gears are?
    output shaft has the planetarys

sebring silver
    2000 z28

i know silver camaro gave me some suggestions on what parts to install internally but is there a kit i can buy with all i need to rebuilt my tranny

i just built my 10 bolt moser axles eaton posi 3.73
    do a web search on 4l60e performance tranny and just look at all the different sites there all, call all places, get many opinions and advice, prices and write it all down.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

you will find that many places use the same parts, Transgo kits, beast shell, Sonnax servos, Raybestos 3-4 clutch pack

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post

^^^ Agreed! Good advice right here!

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    ^^^ Agreed! Good advice right here!
    thank you for everybodies help hope to get the tranny down soon

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

i have heard lots of rumors that stalls eat up trannies unless there built any help still trying to decide to rebuilt my tranny and then a stall or install the stall and wait until it goes out? i was thinking a 3400 tci or yank 3600 i just installed a cam and its killing my 60ft and i think a stall will help out my problem.
    Like everyone else has already hit on, the key is dealing with the extra heat. Get yourself a good cooler. Don't skimp out and get a cheap one either. Get a decent pressed-plate style cooler, and you should be good to go.

Thread Information