BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

delayed shift into 2nd gear

I have a 98 z28 with a automatic transmission. The problem is at very low throttle my car stays in first gear too long and then jerks into 2nd too hard in my opinion. If I drive my car giving it more gas it does ok. The other thing is when my transmission hits 3rd gear it bangs instead of shifting nice a firm like the other gears. Occasionally when it hits 3rd it shifts firm and doesnt bang at all. Is there any way by changing the fluid and filter it could solve either problem? I also heard that the bands can be adjusted but I dont know anything about it. Is this true?? Could the bang when it hits 3rd be my rear?
    What can I do to fix these problems?? Any advice would be great. THANKS

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

whats the bang sound like? does it sound like its under the car and really loud? Is it when your hitting the gas?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    whats the bang sound like? does it sound like its under the car and really loud? Is it when your hitting the gas?
    No its not like the tranny slapping the floorboard its like slack when it shifts into 3rd. Not loud at all and u cant really feel it but I know my car and it is something fairly new. I had a 87 iroc that did the same fking thing. Very annoying. I took my car in to get some work done and they test drove it without me knowing when I was gone. Since then I noticed it. They probably dogged the shit outta my car. I told them no more test driving my fkin car. I will let yall know whats wrong. Do you think a tranny shop could fix this or does it sound like rebuild time??? Thank you.....
    ---also it only does it when going into 3rd-if I get on the gas more it shifts into 3rd with no noise.Could a rear end gear be missing a tooth maybe?????

Silver
    1995 Chevy Camaro LT1

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    No its not like the tranny slapping the floorboard its like slack when it shifts into 3rd. Not loud at all and u cant really feel it but I know my car and it is something fairly new. I had a 87 iroc that did the same fking thing. Very annoying. I took my car in to get some work done and they test drove it without me knowing when I was gone. Since then I noticed it. They probably dogged the shit outta my car. I told them no more test driving my fkin car. I will let yall know whats wrong. Do you think a tranny shop could fix this or does it sound like rebuild time??? Thank you.....
    ---also it only does it when going into 3rd-if I get on the gas more it shifts into 3rd with no noise.Could a rear end gear be missing a tooth maybe?????

My Z28 did the same thing yours did.It sounded like someone underneath hitting the floor board with a sludge hammer.It was the tranny mount.I bought a energy suspension one and the bang went away.I broke 2 factory ones.It cost around 40 bucks.Good luck.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by LS1RacerMan30 View Post
    My Z28 did the same thing yours did.It sounded like someone underneath hitting the floor board with a sludge hammer.It was the tranny mount.I bought a energy suspension one and the bang went away.I broke 2 factory ones.It cost around 40 bucks.Good luck.
    Mine doesnt bang that hard but I think my mount is a bit worn. Did you break 2 of the GM mounts or did you break 2 autozone/aftermarket mounts?
    How much vibration can you feel in your car now with the energy mount compared to the GM mount? Thanks man! ----Also did you car bang when it hit every gear????

Silver
    1995 Chevy Camaro LT1

Mine doesnt bang that hard but I think my mount is a bit worn. Did you break 2 of the GM mounts or did you break 2 autozone/aftermarket mounts?
    How much vibration can you feel in your car now with the energy mount compared to the GM mount? Thanks man! ----Also did you car bang when it hit every gear????
    Well I did use the autozone brand and it broke 2 months later and I bought a GM and broke that in 3 months so I bought the Energy suspension and its been good for 4 months.It doesnt bang anymore but when I had the broken mount it would bang from 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd gear to third gear.It has a little more vibration but not really that bad to bug me but at least it solved the problem.Oh yea,If I drove it cool,It wouldnt bang,But when I got on it ,It banged when I had the broken mount at the time.Hope this might help U bro,ttyl

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

yes that helps alot thanks man appreciate your time---mike

Silver
    1995 Chevy Camaro LT1

yes that helps alot thanks man appreciate your time---mike
    No problem,Glad to help..

Sounds to me like you've had some tuning to your trans program--I believe the hard banging is the mount--but the late shift in 1st and the hard shifting at higher throttle positions sounds like someone has changed some of the parameters in the trans tune--I would have a tuner look at them--Especially the "shift times vs tq. tables" then the "base pressure tables " --"shift at vehicle speed vs. tps table in 1st"---All the TQ management tables--Many tuners remove all of the TQ mgmt. However on some applications you can't because it just bangs too hard or causes the car to break loose at shifting and is very dangerous to drive--On my '98 heavily modded A4 corvette--I actually had to ADD some TQ mgmt in 1st to keep it from banging hard and breaking loose--it would completlly spin-out at WOT in 1st if I didn't lift--making me almost hit a tree and a fence on 2 occasions

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    Sounds to me like you've had some tuning to your trans program--I believe the hard banging is the mount--but the late shift in 1st and the hard shifting at higher throttle positions sounds like someone has changed some of the parameters in the trans tune--I would have a tuner look at them--Especially the "shift times vs tq. tables" then the "base pressure tables " --"shift at vehicle speed vs. tps table in 1st"---All the TQ management tables--Many tuners remove all of the TQ mgmt. However on some applications you can't because it just bangs too hard or causes the car to break loose at shifting and is very dangerous to drive--On my '98 heavily modded A4 corvette--I actually had to ADD some TQ mgmt in 1st to keep it from banging hard and breaking loose--it would completlly spin-out at WOT in 1st if I didn't lift--making me almost hit a tree and a fence on 2 occasions
    I would agree with you but when I bought the car it was bone stock. Even had original plugs/wires. You may be correct though. Maybe he had some trans work done and they messed with the 1to2 shift speed. All the other shift points seem fine its just 1st to 2nd(a little delayed). When it hits third at low throttle is when I noticed a lil slop in my trans. I noticed if I give her more gas before it shifts into 3rd it shifts nice and firm with no slop. Maybe my trans. is getting a bit worn. It doesnt slip or anything so until it does Ill just have to deal with it. Thanks for your input

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

how many miles are on your car? it could just be that your 1-2 gear band is getting worn.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    how many miles are on your car? it could just be that your 1-2 gear band is getting worn.
    It has 66,000 miles on it and I think the guy I bought it from was a moron because when I test drove the car he says to me " you can shift it manually also" which gave me the sneaky suspicion he shifted like that occasionally which implies he was a bit rough on the tranny therefore you are probably right about the bands being a bit worn.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

When I get my tranny rebuilt what can I get done to make it stronger besides a shift kit? I want my transmission to be able to hold 400 HP for when I mod my car as time goes on.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

To be honest I wouldnt get it rebuilt. someone in another thread also reccommended this to someone else. Get yourself a performabuilt transmission. I had a local rebuild done in FL and my trans crapped out on me again after about 9,000 miles. Performbuilt has a great rep and they were awesome to deal with. I know someone else who had a stage 3 from them that got destroyed when he blew his torque converter apart and they replaced it no problem. Also a local rebuild with any upgraded will cost you more than buyng the performabuilt. I got a stage to for 1550$ shipped to my door and is supposed to handle 750rwhp. My only advise is to set up an LS1tech account first and then let them know you are a member over there and you will save 50 bucks

If you do go the rebuild route then you should get a beast sunshell, z pack, upgraded servo and wideband clutches.

http://www.performabuilt.com/

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    To be honest I wouldnt get it rebuilt. someone in another thread also reccommended this to someone else. Get yourself a performabuilt transmission. I had a local rebuild done in FL and my trans crapped out on me again after about 9,000 miles. Performbuilt has a great rep and they were awesome to deal with. I know someone else who had a stage 3 from them that got destroyed when he blew his torque converter apart and they replaced it no problem. Also a local rebuild with any upgraded will cost you more than buyng the performabuilt. I got a stage to for 1550$ shipped to my door and is supposed to handle 750rwhp. My only advise is to set up an LS1tech account first and then let them know you are a member over there and you will save 50 bucks

If you do go the rebuild route then you should get a beast sunshell, z pack, upgraded servo and wideband clutches.

http://www.performabuilt.com/
    I will be going with the same tranny you went with. Did you have to send them a core? -I am a member over there already. I really appreciate your help!! THANKS!!

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

no problem man. nope I did not send thema core so you could probrably sell your stock one to a local trans shop like I did if you really wanted. Only thing is you will have to use your bellhousing and tailhousing off your old transmission. If you have a local tuner available though I would have him take a look at all your transmission settings before you jump into a new trans. just be alot cheaper if that does end up being the problem. Also make sure you get a new mount while your at it if you do get the tranny

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

appreciate the help and yea its gonna be a lil bit.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

no problem glad to help. I will write up a review of my new transmission soon.

Black
    2002 Camaro ss

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but I agree with what
    juiced99ws6 spoke of when he said to get the beast sunshell.
    I have a '99 silverado and at about 150000 miles the sunshell broke on my truck, leaving me with only 1st and 3rd. Now I had the fluid and filter changed on a regular basis, but that makes no difference here. GM knows the sunshells are weak but they refuse to make good for us. The story I get is that about 2003 the sunshells were upgraded to a heavier unit in the trucks. I wonder if our 4l60e's are ok in this area ?

All the best on your new tranny
    deadbydawn421.

jess ......

2002 ss - Black - A4 - 323 - SLP loudmouth 11 - SLP lid - SLP # 5846

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but I agree with what
    juiced99ws6 spoke of when he said to get the beast sunshell.
    I have a '99 silverado and at about 150000 miles the sunshell broke on my truck, leaving me with only 1st and 3rd. Now I had the fluid and filter changed on a regular basis, but that makes no difference here. GM knows the sunshells are weak but they refuse to make good for us. The story I get is that about 2003 the sunshells were upgraded to a heavier unit in the trucks. I wonder if our 4l60e's are ok in this area ?

All the best on your new tranny
    deadbydawn421.

jess ......

2002 ss - Black - A4 - 323 - SLP loudmouth 11 - SLP lid - SLP # 5846
    Thanks -yea I know what you mean by GM not making good. My car has that piston slap when u first start it up until warm. They say its harmless but I sure as hell dont think it helps matters much + I dont drive my car until its fully warmed up which can be a little inconvienant at times.

Thread Information