white red strips
    01 z28

conveter help trans cooler

i bought a yank 3200 and a trans cooler and i want to no what is the best way to do this should i go threw the factory one then the new one or cut out the factory cooler is it a big diffrents thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, just take the out from the factory cooler and send it through the new cooler then back to the tranny. The return to the tranny is the line that doesn't have the high pressure fitting on it.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, just take the out from the factory cooler and send it through the new cooler then back to the tranny. The return to the tranny is the line that doesn't have the high pressure fitting on it.
    Why do answers vary so much on this? Some say don't go through the radiator and others say do go through it if it is clean. I would think you would want to go through it. Most B&M instructions say go through the radiator first and then to the cooler. I had someone tell me it helps keep a constant operating temp in the trans. But at the same time I know the cooler you keep the trans the longer the fluid is going to live. Any truth that an Auto needs constant low temp rather than the coolest you can get it?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Why do answers vary so much on this? Some say don't go through the radiator and others say do go through it if it is clean. I would think you would want to go through it. Most B&M instructions say go through the radiator first and then to the cooler. I had someone tell me it helps keep a constant operating temp in the trans. But at the same time I know the cooler you keep the trans the longer the fluid is going to live. Any truth that an Auto needs constant low temp rather than the coolest you can get it?
    performabuilt would probably be able to give you a better answer as it's what they do for a living but I'll answer you as best as I can.
    Why not run it through the stock cooler first? Scrub off some initial heat before running it through the new cooler. The cooler the fluid the better but you are correct that you don't want "cold" fluid. My issue with that is I'm not sure it's possible to get a stalled trannies fluid that cold using a tranny cooler. I would have to go back to some old logs to verify but just by memory I'm thinking that running through the stock cooler and an aftermarket cooler with my 3500 stall my temp was in the 170-180 range. My understanding has always been you want to keep tranny temps <200. Once you get the temps up in the 200's you really shorten the life of the fluid and much higher you start to harden seals. In the end that's what we're talking about here......keeping the fluid at a point to where it can do it's job.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Use both coolers....the transmission and an external. Unless you have a massive external cooler, then you can bypass the radiator trans cooler. The stock gm radiators have a very good heat exchanger. Aftermarket one's may be a little bigger, like Howe, but not as efficient in cooling the trans fluid.

I have a B&M 16,000 gvw external cooler that is secondary to the radiator cooler. Also for routing....start with the lower trans connector, goes to bottom connector of radiator. Then from upper radiator connector out to top of external B&M cooler, then bottom of external connector out to upper transmission connection. Although it really doesn't matter the flow direction through the external cooler. So a big counter clockwise routing basically. I cut my metal trans lines as they were getting in the way of the supercharger pulleys. I have nylon mesh lines adapted in.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

You'll hear plenty of reasons to do it either way and the advantages of each. Decide what you think is best and go with it.

I bypassed mine.

white red strips
    01 z28

i bought a 24,000 b&m from ls1 speed is this to big to go threw both and plus how much more fluid does it take

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_z28 View Post
    i bought a 24,000 b&m from ls1 speed is this to big to go threw both and plus how much more fluid does it take
    damn....stumped me. I'll have to look that up because it completely slips my mind right now. I want to say 2 quarts but let me look it up. Also, go ahead before you start the install and run to a parts store and buy extra transmission line. Make sure it's transmission line too and not fuel line or heater hose. The kits don't come with enough. Run it through your stock then through your aftermarket and you'll be fine.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any of you guys have pics of where you mounted your transmission coolers and the line runs?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any of you guys have pics of where you mounted your transmission coolers and the line runs?
    You can do it in front of the radiator where an ftra or ssra would go or do it dope style
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/automa...ope-style.html

I did mine dope style since I have a ssra.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I mounted mine in front of the radiator and the lines run next to it on the passenger side. Kind of a pain in the butt to run those lines but it works.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I mounted mine in front of the radiator and the lines run next to it on the passenger side. Kind of a pain in the butt to run those lines but it works.
    Same, but mine sits in front of the AC Condensor.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_z28 View Post
    I am using the B&M 24K cooler mounted "dope style", and have no issues. I have coupled it to a B&M 3qt aluminum deeper pan, and I believe I use almost 10 1/2 qts of trans fluid per change (no converter drain).

I suggest you purchase some -6 braided ss hose to use when you hookup the cooler.

SteveC

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

mounting the tranny cooler dope style wouldnt u have to worry about rocks?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1 View Post
    mounting the tranny cooler dope style wouldnt u have to worry about rocks?
    I have had my cooler on the vehicle dope style for 8 1/2 years and have no issues whatsoever. All the fins are as straight as the day I had it installed.

SteveC

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Good to hear

Thread Information