Talking clutch packs and bands

Hi guys from Australia!!!

This is my first post on this forum. I currently am running a new head and cam combo on an LS1 ute here in Oz, with all the usual stuff. It ran 11.0 cam only with 1.4 60 ft times with ET Street Radials, through a 6000 non lock up 8 inch stallie. It makes 327 rwkw through this, which I think is about 450 hp at the wheels.

At present I am looking to rebuild my 4L60E, and am intrigued at the various clutch packs and bands available. I've researched a lot on the topic, and in honesty it seems as though each shop chooses different setups. I think I've come to the conclusion that Z packs wont suit the power, but I'm really undecided about what to spec. Some say blue raybestos, some say red Altos, then there is the choice of the steel plates to go with it, then the topic of the bands!!!!

So what I'm really after is some great input from you guys, as the USA seems to build the toughest boxes ever from what I've read. The car is used as a daily drive, and is driven to and from the track. But I want a box that has the best efficiency in getting power transfer to get maximum mph from thecombo, but with a good amount of durability.

Also there is the topic of transmission fluid. We have had a lot of runners over here using transmax Z with good success, but there seems to be greater favour for mercon Dex III. Any thoughts on this also.

Looking forwards to your input guys. Many thanks,

Leatherman

blue
    2000ss

Please look at our website you should be able to get some good ideas there.

FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,1YR WAR, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL 9 AM TO 12 MIDNITE 7 DAYS OR YAHOO MESSENGER
    SALE THIS WEEK! CALL FOR DETAILS!

Thanks for the reply. actually I have had a good look at yours and other websites, which really prompted the question. I see you prefer blue plates over others that prefer the Alto eagle reds.

Ok - will the blue plates actually last in both a daily drive gearbox that gets a regular thrashing at the strip, or do they require more maintenance. On the raybestos site I see that the blue plates are suggested to have tremendous wear characteristics, and thus I would assume that it also implies very good longevity in a daily use box. But I also looked at the ALTO site, and saw that the racing red clutch plates are only recommended for the strip, and not to be used on a daily basis.

For the steels, I guess you prefer the suggested standard steels as opposed to the Koleens, but what about something like the turbonator steels. are they any good????

Look forwards to hearing from you. I think my mate Big Jim Spence has also contacted performabuilt on this topic as well.

Cheers,

Leatherman

Dana
    For the 3-4 clutch pack, the Blue Plate Specials do not work well on the street, good for strip use, but expensive. I like and use the factory Borg warner Hi-Energy clutches in all of my builds with Kolene steels. I have had them hold up very well in a few nine second vehicles without problems. The clutch count is determined by the HP you are putting out. 8 clutches work in the vast majority of cases. When going over apx. 675FWHP, I go with 9 Borg warner Hi-Energy clutches. I use turbulator steels in the low/reverse and reverse input clutch packs. The Alto Red Eagles do not hold up well in the 700R4/4L60E units. As for the Z-pak, some builders have had good success with them, others not. I have modified the pack to improve it, but have not tried it in anything in the nines so far. Raybestos does not recommend this clutch for hi-perf use, just HD use. Raybestos has released a "second" generation Blue Plate Special 3-4 clutch that is supposed to last on the street, but having very good success with the BW-HiE's, I did not see the reason to try them so far, as I stated thet are on the expensive side. The TransGo modifed Performance Shift kit should be used in these applications for extended transmission life. If I can be of help, let me know?

Talking

Many thanks for your response. Interesting to read. My current box uses the BW tan paper type clutch plates, but I fear when I strip the box down on Saturday that there will be evidence of wear, as I have got the dreaded hesitation on shifting from 2nd to 3rdgear.

I was unaware a second generation of blue plates was available.... on their website I only saw the one blue plate product.

Just as a question you say the first blue plates don't do so well on the street. Is that due to premature wear or some other issue.

Once again very many thanks for your response. Kind regards,

Leatherman

Thread Information