white
    2002 z28

car has never chirped in 2nd?

my friends 96 TA w/160,000 mi can do this all day and when i when i floor it it will never do it. i have the 3.23 gear if that helps plus fairly new tread on tires. is there anything that is wrong.??

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

No there is not, install a 3200 + stall, and you will be frying your tires all day.

SteveC

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Get it tuned to eliminate the torque reduction in the computer on the 1-2 shift. It pulls timing right before the shift in an effort to prolong factory trans. But if a 4L60 is going out nothing will save it. Eliminate this and you wont have any problems or you can remove the pan and pull the accumulator and switch the spring on top of the plunger and kill second gear every time it shifts, but that is the rough way you'll get tired of that quick.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Get it tuned to eliminate the torque reduction in the computer on the 1-2 shift. It pulls timing right before the shift in an effort to prolong factory trans. But if a 4L60 is going out nothing will save it. Eliminate this and you wont have any problems or you can remove the pan and pull the accumulator and switch the spring on top of the plunger and kill second gear every time it shifts, but that is the rough way you'll get tired of that quick.
    now not sure what you ment by "youll kill second gear" is that what will happen after doing this?

and how harsh is taking the trq management off on the trans??
    \
    but thanks for explaining

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    No there is not, install a 3200 + stall, and you will be frying your tires all day.

SteveC
    i know that a big stall will do that , but i just want to know what makes some do that and not?

my buddy on 2004 gto can also do it?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Flipping the spring will make second gear changes very hard even at cruise speeds and at WOT will make it snatch real hard. Did this on an S-10 with a stock 4.3 everytime it goes into 2nd it gets sideways with just 1/2 pedal. I don't mean kill as in kill the trans but snap your neck everytime. Removing the torque management will not hurt the trans at all it is on every GM product they sell. It's one of the first thing all tuners remove. Just some added protection for warranty work.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

either get it tuned or a shift kit. A stall will make your shifts feel softer.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i know that a big stall will do that , but i just want to know what makes some do that and not?

my buddy on 2004 gto can also do it?
    I think you may have answered your own question, the stock stall on the Camaro automatics is 1650 1.8STR, the stock stall on your friends GTO is probably higher, more aggressive, and a larger STR.

My 2001 Z28 (stock motor) with 3.23's NEVER chirped 2nd gear even @ WOT, I had a Y3000 2.0 STR installed along with 3.73's and a race grade 2-4 servo, now I chirp 2nd @ half throttle, and slightly going into third (after dyno tune).

SteveC

white
    2002 z28

woow thats cool, thanks

what kind of stalls came in the 93-97 4 th gens??

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Must just be a car by car issue my auto Z with 2.73's hit second everytime wot 100% stock. With just a few boltons it would break them loose on a 40 or 70 mph punch as well. Now with the 3500 stall and 4.11's it will get sideways going into 3rd on these cheap tires but Given the high stall I chose I had the trans built to shift real firm to compensate for the slip in the stall.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Must just be a car by car issue my auto Z with 2.73's hit second everytime wot 100% stock. With just a few boltons it would break them loose on a 40 or 70 mph punch as well. Now with the 3500 stall and 4.11's it will get sideways going into 3rd on these cheap tires but Given the high stall I chose I had the trans built to shift real firm to compensate for the slip in the stall.
    That's the key. A stall will make more slop in your shifts. It won't make it shift harder. The shift kit or tuning is what makes it shift fast and hard by raising line pressures. A stall will keep the rpm's up but doesn't make the car shift harder. STR pretty much is a non factor once the wheels are rolling.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

my formula with 3.23s chirped everytime going into second when stock.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    That's the key. A stall will make more slop in your shifts. It won't make it shift harder. The shift kit or tuning is what makes it shift fast and hard by raising line pressures. A stall will keep the rpm's up but doesn't make the car shift harder. STR pretty much is a non factor once the wheels are rolling.
    So in other words, I could calibrate my shift firmness with a 3200 stall with my hypertech programmer, and break the tires loose? Or does it also need the shift kit? (Not jacking just curious)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You want to be careful about raising the line pressures with tuning and using a shift kit. I forget the stock max pressures but doing both of those would be cutting it close. I would recommend one or the other and lean towards a shift kit. I ran the hpp3 for a while on my stock convertor and absolutely loved the shifts with it ( that was the only good point the hpp3 had going for it) but after switching to tuning with edit and basically copying hpp3's shift tables set at 75% the car shifts much different with my 3500 stall. Not near as hard but still crisp. At some point I'll be going to a shift kit and laying off the line pressures a bit. I plan on waiting until this tranny takes a dump then I'll go the shift kit route with my replacement tranny. I would get a shift kit and sell the hpp3 and look for other tuning options. Even if you went with the vinci or predator tuner you'd be way ahead of where you're at right now. Have you ever logged the car with the hpp3 tune in there? I would see how lean you are.

white
    2002 z28

how lean does it make it at what are the stress levels?? (guest a mits )

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

You want to be careful about raising the line pressures with tuning and using a shift kit. I forget the stock max pressures but doing both of those would be cutting it close. I would recommend one or the other and lean towards a shift kit. I ran the hpp3 for a while on my stock convertor and absolutely loved the shifts with it ( that was the only good point the hpp3 had going for it) but after switching to tuning with edit and basically copying hpp3's shift tables set at 75% the car shifts much different with my 3500 stall. Not near as hard but still crisp. At some point I'll be going to a shift kit and laying off the line pressures a bit. I plan on waiting until this tranny takes a dump then I'll go the shift kit route with my replacement tranny. I would get a shift kit and sell the hpp3 and look for other tuning options. Even if you went with the vinci or predator tuner you'd be way ahead of where you're at right now. Have you ever logged the car with the hpp3 tune in there? I would see how lean you are.
    I haven't done anything to this car other than my r/a hood, wheels and tires, seat covers, and retune the hypertech programmer. My programmer has the following settings. Power tuning enabled, Non RFG fuel, GU5 Gears, 25.5" tire size, Stock shift points, 160* thermo (even tho I dont have it it kicks the fans on at around 190*), Stock shift firmness (the previous owner had like 100% firmer). I think thats it as far as important bs.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

x2 we killed the trans in a stock 99 Silverado messing with an HPP3. Bumping the line pressure a little is ok. Mine was bumped like 3-5 psi which is not much but enough to feel. Then I have all billet servo's and a couple of tranny tricks that all work in conjunction to increase firmness. If I wanted my trans to live on a HPP3 I would only go about 15% max the rest you need parts. I'd hate to see how mine shifts without the stall and I didn't even flip the spring on the 2nd gear accumulator.

Thread Information