pewter
    99 Trans Am

can I run a cooler, but not through the radiator?

I have a 93 Jimmy that my wife use to deliver mail out side of the city.She put about 60 miles a day on the truck, The summer days are hot about 95 to sometimes100 degrees, And the jimmy has to slow roll from mailbox to mailbox which cause's the truck to overheat at times.I have just put a rebuilt trans in it last spring and have changed the fuild twice.The last time was 2/6/09 and the oil had a brunt smell. I know that's not good for the trans to get too hot but what can I do to help the trans?That's why I asked, can I run the cooler and leave the radiator out.Will this work and Can I go to a different fan? It has the stock fan now.If it will what size cooler do I need.And what fan?
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 02-07-2009 at 06:45 PM.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I have a 93 Jimmy that my wife use to deliver mail out side of the city.She put about 60 miles a day on the truck, The summer days are hot about 95 to sometimes100 degrees, And the jimmy has to slow roll from mailbox to mailbox which cause's the truck to overheat at times.I have just put a rebuilt trans in it last spring and have changed the fuild twice.The last time was 2/6/09 and the oil had a brunt smell. I know that's not good for the trans to get too hot but what can I do to help the trans?That's why I asked, can I run the cooler and leave the radiator out.Will this work and Can I go to a different fan? It has the stock fan now.If it will what size cooler do I need.And what fan?
    go to advance or auto zone and pickup a tranny cooler, cut the tranny lines going into the radiator and hook the cooler lines to them right there

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If the truck overheats I would flush the coolant and change the thermostat too.

I like to run an extra cooler in conjunction with the original radiator cooler.

2 are better than one

But the trick is to make sure you run the extra cooler on the return line only. That way the radiator does it's job, then the extra cooler doesn't have to work so hard as it's getting "somewhat" cooler fluid already.

I would also tackle that engine and see whats causing it to run hot. If everything is up to snuff you shouldn't have any problems.
    Those Jimmy's of that vintage use a clutch fan. Being 15 years old it may be time to install a clutch on it. And as stated and good flush and refill with a new stat is another good place to start.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

check the radiator. Those cooling passages get cloged up over time and don't flow as much coolant. Might even just change the radiator, water pump and thermo in the near future if a good flush dosn't help those temps. Definatly use a 160 termo in the summer and a 180 in the winter. Yea add that cooler but get those temps down other wise there is no point because you will be heating the trans fluid if the coolant temp in the rad is above 180. in order for the cooler in the rad to help the temp in the rad has to be about 180 or lower. Trans temps should be below 200. 180 or lower is ideal.

Thread Information