01 Formula

Biggest stall without comp tunning?

Whats the biggest stall out there we put on our cars before the comp starts to act.

01 Formula

Anyone?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have no experience with smaller stalls but on my 3500 I had to do a few things like raise the idle and set shift points. You'd probably want a tune no matter what stall to set shift points and raise your line pressures unless you did a shift kit at the same time.

blue
    2000ss

You can be reasonably sure you will be ok till you get up to about 3000 stall. But as mentioned a tune after a stall is a good idea.

FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,1YR WAR, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL 9 AM TO 12 MIDNITE 7 DAYS OR YAHOO MESSENGER
    SALE THIS WEEK! CALL FOR DETAILS!

01 Formula

Thanks for the input...

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

My friend has a 2800 stall ( stock 3.23's) with the stock tuning in a 2002 Z28, and it is running fine with the stock tuning and Torque Management.

I have a 3000 stall coupled to 3.73's, and I needed a dyno tune to correct a myrad of problems.

SteveC

01 Formula

Steve what stall does your friend have if you dont mind me asking?What a difference it makes from 2800 to 3000.What are the specs,str and all that on your converter?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FORMULA7 View Post
    Steve what stall does your friend have if you dont mind me asking?What a difference it makes from 2800 to 3000.What are the specs,str and all that on your converter?
    My friend has a Yank 2800 1.6 STR, I have a Yank 3000 2.0 STR, his converter is the stock 12" mine is 10 1/2" diameter. My vehicle requires a little more gas to get it moving, however the 3.73 gears compinsate over the stock 3.23's.

SteveC

01 Formula

From what Ive read is that the smaller mass in rotation makes the computer trip.Something doing with misfire detection codes built in the comp.Might try one of those stock 12" converters.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yank py3400e on stock pcm with no issues.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

01 Formula

mrr23 Is the Yank py3400e a stock sized 12" or a 10" or smaller diameter converter?Str?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

258mm, Posi Lock-Up Clutch w/Kevlar Linings, 6 bolt mounting lugs , lightweight billet cover, 3400 stall, 2.70 STR

the people that have tuning issues with putting converters in, are the ones that are very high stall (4000+) and very loose (low STR). they slip too much and cause you to bounce off the rev limiter on upshifts.

01 Formula

Wow so this is on a stock pcm tune?This is interesting I did not know that.Well in that case might consider the py3400e.I was trying to get by without tunning the comp,You think I might maybe be able to step up to a 3600?With a higher Str.I looked up that converter is that a nitrous converter?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Hey guys, shameless plug time

A mail order tune can get you fixed up for that new stall + some. Send me a PM.

/shameless plug

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I disagree with the above post, ALL LS1 vehicles have their own little quirks, the best way to tune YOUR vehicle is to have IT on the dyno, and have it tuned for what your particular vehicle is doing on the dyno.

JMHO

SteveC

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I disagree with the above post, ALL LS1 vehicles have their own little quirks, the best way to tune YOUR vehicle is to have IT on the dyno, and have it tuned for what your particular vehicle is doing on the dyno.

JMHO

SteveC

Hey SteveC. Tweaking shift points can't really be done on an unloaded dyno like a dynojet 224/228. It's done on the track and the street, where all of the REAL tuning happens (NOT the dyno).

With that said, I'm not offering a perfect tune for a radical car through the mail, I'm offereing mail order tuning that does the following for autos:

1. bump up the OEM LOW idle (needed for a stall)
    2. firm/quicken the factory trans' shifting
    3. remove some (or all if you want) of the tq. management that kills engine momentum during the shifts
    4. gives you a timing curve that works well with boltons and makes more power than stock
    5. Reduce the overfueling at WOT which makes real power
    6. Adjust KR decay so that you get your timing back faster if no further knock occurs (get it back int he same gear vs. 14-15 seconds later OEM)
    7. Gets you shifting right without tagging the limiter up top (common issue with aftermarket stalls).
    8. about 15 other items that I'm not detailing

So feel free to disagree, but I have a LOT of mail order customers who will disagree with you right back

Of course the dyno is used to get everything perfect, but you get a lot for the $125 that I charge, with free updates if you make changes, shop around and see.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Of course the dyno is used to get everything perfect, but you get a lot for the $125 that I charge, with free updates if you make changes, shop around and see.
    That is my only point, one tune does not fit all, there are some points in the tune that generally will work for all vehicles, there are some that don't, the timing and knock retard are good examples of this.

SteveC

Thread Information