2000 Trans Am

Best tranny cooler to buy?

Hey everyone just wanted to get some opinions on the best tranny cooler to purchase, I found this one: http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/70266/10002/-1 and i just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on this..........also if I get the tranny cooler installed before the stall will it hurt anything? and also will it need to be removed to have the stall installed........or should i just wait to do it all at once? thanks for the help~Chris Just want to add that i want it to have all the fittings and lines as well~Chris
    Last edited by clg82; 04-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Running a tranny cooler without my stall/etc installed. Shifts better and keeps the engine abut 5-10 degrees cooler.

Used a hayden but im upgrading to the b&m 29k cooler soon

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Running a tranny cooler without my stall/etc installed. Shifts better and keeps the engine abut 5-10 degrees cooler.

Used a hayden but im upgrading to the b&m 29k cooler soon
    got a link for it? and does it come with all the fittings, hose etce tc

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Hose you can get at autozone. Im sure someone has made a kit with all the stuff but I just got 6 foot of 3/8 good year transmission line and some hose clamps. Its very simple installation. Most of the fittings you buy leak so I didnt use them... (tried the fittings... it leaked...said screw it)

Jegs kit.. though im sure some sponsor carries one

Black
    02 Vert

B&M trans cooler

A bit cheaper in price & from a site sponsor i think

2000 Trans Am

Why do most kits come with braided line?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You can do add it before the stall without any worries. Pretty simple install. Adding a tranny cooler is a good idea regardless of whether you have a stall or not. The biggest killer of auto trannies is heat. If you can keep the temps down on auto trannies you are helping its performance and increasing its life span. The B&M one you linked above is considered by many to be one of the best out there.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Hell NO it isn't!

The B&M Supercooler (24k GVU) wasn't keeping my tranny temperature down below 200 degrees while hot lapping (3 laps max). It only cools while you are moving ... not sitting between races or stuck in traffic. It also has really cheap hardware, no AN connectors, that rubber hose has the tendency to pop off the nipples on the cooler. Ask me how I know...makes a really big smoke show. This has been documented by people over and over. But for $50 it is what it is.

...So we replaced the stock tranny lines with braided lines and AN connectors all the way from my tranny up to the Derale Atomic Cool Transmission Cooler (13750). This cooler has a fan the turns on if the temp gets to 170 and off if it gets down to 160 via a in-line thermostat. Trust me...spend a little more and do it right.

http://www.derale.com/atomic-cool.html

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Hell NO it isn't!

The B&M Supercooler (24k GVU) wasn't keeping my tranny temperature down below 200 degrees while hot lapping (3 laps max). It only cools while you are moving ... not sitting between races or stuck in traffic. It also has really cheap hardware, no AN connectors, that rubber hose has the tendency to pop off the nipples on the cooler. Ask me how I know...makes a really big smoke show. This has been documented by people over and over. But for $50 it is what it is.

...So we replaced the stock tranny lines with braided lines and AN connectors all the way from my tranny up to the Derale Atomic Cool Transmission Cooler (13750). This cooler has a fan the turns on if the temp gets to 170 and off if it gets down to 160 via a in-line thermostat. Trust me...spend a little more and do it right.

Which one did you buy? And did it come with all the fittings, hose etc etc?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Hell NO it isn't!

What setup are you running to cause the excess amount of heat?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I have a PI Vigilante 3200 triple disk stall with a Rossler 4L60E Terminator 2.

The rest is in my sig

Cooler kits include fan, cooler core and aluminum brackets only. Complete kits also include fan control thermostat, 10’ of hose, mounting hardware and adapter fittings.

Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 04-05-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    10.954 123.58 1.496 489.29 rwhp 475.52 rwtq

Thread Information