00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Unhappy Auto Tranny Help!!

I have had my 2000 TA A4 for only about a month now. It has only 74000 miles on it and both the tranny and oil pan look clean as a pin (meaning no leakage at all). But Friday it started not wanting to shift out of 2nd until about 4500 with bearly givin her any throttle. On Saturday it started slipping in second and a little bit in 3rd. It was about a quart low on fluid but fluid seems good (not dark and doesn't smell burnt) What could be wrong? Do I need a rebuilt already? I have looked through the other threads similar to my problem and I get the impression it could be something simple as cleaning my MAF. If its something not in the tranny, I don't want to pull the pan yet because it so clean! Let me know what you guys would do.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Get if flushed, and hope it's not fried seeing you were low on fluid. I had a tranny pump go out in my truck and a few minutes later the trans was junk. (it was a TH400)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Get if flushed, and hope it's not fried seeing you were low on fluid. I had a tranny pump go out in my truck and a few minutes later the trans was junk. (it was a TH400)
    you think flushin it would heal her up?

I dont know why it was even low . . . i put more fluid in it today, over full, seems better. does this mean anything?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    you think flushin it would heal her up?

I dont know why it was even low . . . i put more fluid in it today, over full, seems better. does this mean anything?
    That's the cheap option to maybe work if the trans isn't fried. If it's working better it just may have been low, but I'd still get it flushed to make sure it not gunked up.

yeah its still not right though . . I heard that sometimes on the 4l60e's the tranny filter falls out of place and then when you over fill the tranny it "seems" like its workin right so i may check that.

blue
    2000ss

The filter cannot fall out with the stock pan. Unfortunatly likley you may have damaged it running low on fluild, With a 4l60e 1 quart is alotta fluild to be low and it dosent take much slipping at all to cause permanet damage.

02.LS1 Anniversary Issue

dark purple/chameleon
    anniversary 02 camaro LS1

it seems to me like your sink rows are going out in the 2.nd and 3.rd gear.:_) you might be able to prolong the death of your tranny by flushing it:_) although you might want to look at the gaskets on the valve body located inside the tranny housing.....not enough fluid being pumped through the valve body will cause this also.

yeah i hope i haven't done much damage if there is preventable damage. . . as soon as i noticed shifting problems i haven't drove the car at all (been drivin the 80 TA!! lol). . . im goin to take the pan off tonite or tom . . . also i talked to my tranny guy and he said its likely the servo? thoughts about this? dads got a few spare 4l60e's layin around . . . should i swap the servo or is there a specific servo to ls1 cars?

well guys im pullin the tranny . . . fluids brown . . . does anyone know where to get a step by step on removing the tranny. . . any things i need to make sure to unhook on the motor so when I remove the cross frame and the motor tilts ie air box, any wire harnesses, etc? ive searched the internet cant find anything on an fbody. i just dont wanna miss something!

Shes outa there. . . doin a full rebuild so any suggestion on musts on a rebuild kit and shift kit? what i should tell me tranmission guy i want done in the rebuild? im not that knowledgeable about the guts of the tranny but id like to make her strong

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Really need to just find a trans builder who knows what to replace, there are many different parts for different levels of power. I sure between those who build on here we can get you a list of parts to equal a stout trans but if you have to tell the builder about them I'm not sure I'd want him building it. Anyone can take parts out and replace them but you gotta get someone who knows what each part does and how/why they fail to be effective and building a trans to withstand the abuse. You should be able to tell him what its in, what it weighs, how much tq and hp you are going to have and how you plan on achieving it and he should be able to build accordingly. The good parts can add up quickly so you need to know what you need and don't need.

well my builder is a friend of my fathers who has about 15 yrs tranny experience he seems like he knows what hes talkin about (i hope!). he said he would get ahold of me today after he gets prices on what options we can do i just wanted to know for my knowledge of what is good/best parts to put back in and, like you said slims00ls1z28, what i dont need.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

I had mine rebuilt, by a friend with a lot of experience. Cost less than $450. No labor. He replaced all the steels and clutches, all seals and bearings. he does good work. Good luck with yours.

You cant be sure if it hasnt been rebuilt already due to abuse and that builder might not have done a quality job. You never quite know with a used car. I faced all these issues when I bought mine too.

update: my tranny guy is putting a heavy duty full rebuild kit, shift kit, and new torque converter in for $480 . . . i was gonna put a stall in but with the car completely stock i didnt think i was ready for that plus that would have been another 400-500 bucks (and i still need to put a mean exhaust on this thing!). . I should have her back and running this weekend. Ready for the ls1 again this V6 bird is a puss lol!

yeap finally got the tranny back on saturday and me and pops put her back in on sunday. finished up on monday. SO GLAD TO BE BACK IN THE TRANS AM!

Thread Information