98 Formula
    06 duramax

anyone ever flushed a tranny?

I'm thinking of doing a job for someone my bro knows. She has a 98 toyaki 4runner that has a bad radiator. There's tranny fluid mixed in with the coolant so the tranny will need to be flushed. Is it possible to do that in a garage?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I bought a flush machine from NAPA a few years back. Hooks up to the two in.out lines at the trannie cooler on any car......obviously not everybody has one...so I highly recommend paying the $100 bucks and having it done at the stealership....it gets all the fluid and crap out and fresh fluid in......how the hell did trannie fluid get mixed with engine coolant? Does she have tig ol bitties?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I may look at buying one. Might come in handy sometime.......like now. Her radiator is busted I guess. I'm just going by what my brother told me. He said he looked in the radiator and there's tranny fluid in there so I'd guess the radiator busted where the cooler is letting the 2 mix. She got a quote of $1200 from a shop. The radiator swap shows 1.6 hrs to R&R so it's not a big job. I just need a way to flush the tranny to get any coolant out of it that might be in there. I guess I could take it somewhere and just tack that onto the bill....she'll still come in waaay less than the shops estimate.

I'm not sure on the titteh size but my brother said she's a good looking asian girl and I've always been a sucker for asian girls.

Here's the best step by step instructions I have come across - courtesy joecar:

You can do the 100% fluid purge (converter flush) yourself:

You will need at least 12 quarts of ATF.

Edit: Get 3 extra quarts just in case.

0. Get a 5 gallon bucket and "calibrate" it by marking off and numbering quarts.

1. Replace filter, pan, fluid, do not start engine yet; (make sure you have put in at least the same amount of fluid you took out, 4-5 quarts).

2. Undo hose clamp on return line, pull hose from hard line, and direct hose into calibrated bucket (if necessary use an extension hose or tube to reach bucket).
    F-body has this clamp, Y-body doesn't seem to.

3. Start engine, and while observing bucket, pour quarts of new fluid into fill tube (via funnel) until at least 8 quarts are in the bucket, then turn off engine; see note below.

Edit: you could stop when you see the new fluid in the bucket.

4. Reconnect hose and hose clamp to hard line.

5. Start engine, briefly select each gear, check fluid level and adjust if necessary (add fluid, or suck some out thru fill tube).

Note:
    In step 3, you must have your new ATF bottles open and ready (number the bottles with a marker);
    if you can't keep up (fill tube is narrow, can't pour ATF in as fast), turn off engine after 2 quarts, pour in 2 quarts, start engine and repeat every 2 quarts.

Don't let trans. run dry!!

This flushes the converter because the converter fluid exits thru the TCC valve into the cooler circuit.
    The cooler return line feeds the lube circuit which is critical only if the trans is in gear and under load.

Edit: If your return line does not have a clamp/hose, you could find/buy a used F-body return line with the radiator fitting; then undo the return line from the radiator and screw in the used return line; I'm sure you can otherwise rig up something to go from the radiator to the bucket

white
    2002 z28

12 quarts my work truck only has 14 quarts

white
    2002 z28

but nice write up

I would think having another capable person around would help considerably. The procedure seems a little frantic if you have no previous experience doing it.

Here's a little something not far from the topic:

I drained my sump fluid and removed the filter but had to leave for the day so I left everything sit with drain pan over a large drip pan under the tranny. When I came back to complete the job the drain pan had overflowed, the drip pan was full with a quart or two on the floor. I guess the TC had drained down. Anyway, it took 7 quarts to fill the transmission after everything was buttoned up. The transmission has never felt the same as it did before this incident. It doesn't slip or act up but it seems to have lost a little of the sharp / crispness it had before. I'm thinking about doing the flush but have a little concern that it will make matters worse rather than better. I have read that different brands of oil will give different results after the change. Everywhere I read though, the consensus is the same that as long as you use dexron III with the certification they are all the same.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a job for someone my bro knows. She has a 98 toyaki 4runner that has a bad radiator. There's tranny fluid mixed in with the coolant so the tranny will need to be flushed. Is it possible to do that in a garage?
    wait...a toyaki?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    wait...a toyaki?
    I used to have a toyota 4x4 and an older guy I worked with used to always call it a Toyaki and the name kinda stuck. Watch out or it'll stick to you next and that's what you'll start calling toyaki's.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think this whole thing is a mute point now. It seems she can't wait until next weekend to have me work on it for her even though I'd be saving her 5-6 bills. I understand that she has to get to work. I would borrow someones car to save that kinda scratch. I wasn't really looking forward to doing it because at some point I'm sure I'd have tranny fluid all over my garage floor.

I did a flush by disconnecting the lines from the radiator and putting the outflow line in a bucket. I connected a container that held the transmission capacity in fluid and pressurized it with 5lb. air. Started the car idling and when the incoming container was empty i stopped. Worked great. I suspect it would have been about as effective (and a lot easier) to just elevate the fluid supply container 6' or so in the air.

white
    2002 z28

on speed channel ON "TRUCK U" they recently did this and gave a set by step video tutorial just to add. to get sm=ome more tips

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

every mechanic i've asked about tranny flush swears up and down its bad... but if its as good as what the Pro-flush people claim, I understand why the mechanic would disagree.

The mechanic said that "The grime is good, without it you build up heat and wear your parts faster. That's why they there's a break in period on new vehicles."

I got the flush on my older vehicle, 99 expedition; it shifter harder afterwards.. Good? Maybe... probably not b/c those expo trannys are crap

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

after coolant makes its way into any automatic chances are you can kiss it goodbye if i was you i wouldnt get my hands into this one, it aint worth the 100 bucks or so you get

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i have flushed my auto evey 20 thousaand miles, my 99 has 140k on original trans its had 4.10's a stall slicks and a little nitrous, still shifts like a dream

autos require a little love every other oil change or 3, i swear by it, there is a reasone there is a filter its because your supposed to change that and the fluid,

Thread Information