Red
    98' WS6

abnormal shifting

in my 98 ws6 when im in drive and let it have it the tranny shifts on point most of the time. when im in 3rd and let it have it, it will down shift like it should but when its time to shift back into 3rd it onces to bounce the rev limiter a couple of times before it shifts or i have to let out of it slightly before it shifts.

anyone got any ideas on this, maybe worn out tranny or computer not responding properly

(i did just put pacesetter LT and a TSP ORY on with mti lid)

blue
    2000ss

Look at the tune and whats being comanded first

Red
    98' WS6

I don't have access to a scanner anymore that will tell me that unless a tech II from gm will do that, and if it does what exactly should i be looking for.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

No a tech II won't do what you need to do. You need a tuning suite or to take your car to a tuner.

blue
    2000ss

I dont know about a tech 2 but a snapon scanner which most any trans shop and most general garages will have can look at the data and you can see comanded shifts if that helps.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you have a stock stall and all of your mods are what you listed (no nitrous) and your trans tables are OEM (no tuning) then it's been my experience that this has unfortunately been the precursor to serious failure. In a few of them, before, when it still shifted, towards the end before the problem started, the trans would allow some RPM flare up at WOT shift. Not trying to scare you, just trying to keep you informed.

Red
    98' WS6

the tranny does allow the flare at WOT, kind of sounds like the tires are spinning but they aren't, wouldn't surprise me if the tranny is going south probably doesn't help that its got 93000 miles on it. (yes the tune is still 100% stock)

If i was to put a new tranny in would it be better to put a stall in considering i only have the couple of mods listed, (headers, ory, borla, lid, k&n) or is this just one of those things that happens when you start to pull some more power out of the motor.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

they seem to be hit or miss as to what they can take and when they kick the bucket.

A stall will make a huge difference with the mods you already have. It's actually the most bang for the buck for you right now.

Red
    98' WS6

If i do stall it would a 3500 be to big for the mods i only have right know.

Im asking this because heads & cam are going in probably this summer or fall either a TSP MS4, TSP 231/237, MTI X1 or the TRex, haven't decided yet

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by wkbrdr144 View Post
    If i do stall it would a 3500 be to big for the mods i only have right know.

Im asking this because heads & cam are going in probably this summer or fall either a TSP MS4, TSP 231/237, MTI X1 or the TRex, haven't decided yet

no but will be on the small side for the cams you are listing. Those cams are all over the board in size and powerband, I suggest a LOT more reading

Red
    98' WS6

I will do that, thank you for the info Frost

Red
    98' WS6

OK i just got access to a brand new solous snap-on scanner, what would the oem shift points probably be, (sorry for the stupid questions automatics are my weak point in the automotive world.) local tranny shop is being a dick about info

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by wkbrdr144 View Post
    OK i just got access to a brand new solous snap-on scanner, what would the oem shift points probably be, (sorry for the stupid questions automatics are my weak point in the automotive world.) local tranny shop is being a dick about info
    I'm not sure what you are hoping to find with that, but shift points are about 6K with a limiter at 6.2K

Dana
    If the WOT shifts are ok in "OD", and not "D". Then the overrun clutch (which comes on in the "D" position) is robbing 3rd gear apply oil. The simple fix is "do not" use the "D" position when you are wanting to make a 2-3 WOT shift. I have seen this a few times over the years.

Red
    98' WS6

That is the only time that the tranny acts funny at WOT, i understand the not using D but what is it internally that is causeing this to happen. Is it just a worn out valve body or just the fact that the tranny is old and worn out?

Dana
    The overrun clutch (which comes on in the "D" position) is robbing 3rd gear apply oil. There is nothing that can be done about this. When in the future the transmission is apart, you can reduce the overrun clutch clearance, not easy to do though. There is more to it than just that, but just use the "OD" position, that way you will keep the 3-4 clutches alive longer.

Red
    98' WS6

so basically its just that the tranny is starting to wear down. well at least i know this now, so ill just hold off on the stall untill i put in a new tranny or rebuild this one.

Thread Information