Black
    2002 TransAm

A4 Tranny Double Shift?

Guys,

First post in a while. I'm looking at a 2002 WS6 A4 w/ 25K miles and Borla exhaust. Overall the car feels solid.

When I'm cruising at 65 to 70 MPH and then punch it (WOT), I feel the gear change and desired acceleration. But about 1/2 sec later I get what feels like a second gear change or a major pulse. Is this slippage? Torque converter locking/unlocking? Or backpressure from the Borla exhaust? It's not the rear tires chirping.

I've owned several A4 F-Bodies and never have noticed this before.

Thanks,
    Steve

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

did the RPMS also move up the second time?

id say it prob dropped back into third, but it felt you were on it harder than that, so it dropped all the way back to second.

or, it could be the torque converter unlocking, then dropping back to third.

I'd say do it again, got WOT, let it happen, then ease out of the throttle, see if you can feel it shifting and figure out which gear its in

Black
    2002 TransAm

Spikito,

This is a new car I'm looking to buy, different then the TA listed in my signature.. This happened during a test drive and was repeatable everytime. Common sense would have me look at the rpms but I didn't. I was a little dissapointed because my gut was telling me there was a problem.

I had an LT1 car with 3.73's and 3200 stall and I got the converter pulse at about 45 to 50MPH. I had two LS1's, one with 2.73's and the other with 3.23's, both with stock converters and I never noticed and converter pulses.

Do I buy this car? Bad clutch pack that can be replaced? Is there an aftermarket converter in the car?

I would have to test drive the car again to evaluate these things.

Thanks,
    Steve

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a A4 with 3.73's and if I hit it at 60 to 65 my car drops into 2nd the at around 70 jumps to 3rd. My car sits at about 2500 rpm cruising along at 70 with the 3.73's.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

hhhmmm, not real sure....i havent had just a whole lot of experience with them....i just know that as those speeds the 4L60E CAN drop all the way back to second

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Polo02TA View Post
    Guys,

First post in a while. I'm looking at a 2002 WS6 A4 w/ 25K miles and Borla exhaust. Overall the car feels solid.

When I'm cruising at 65 to 70 MPH and then punch it (WOT), I feel the gear change and desired acceleration. But about 1/2 sec later I get what feels like a second gear change or a major pulse. Is this slippage? Torque converter locking/unlocking? Or backpressure from the Borla exhaust? It's not the rear tires chirping.

I've owned several A4 F-Bodies and never have noticed this before.

Thanks,
    Steve
    My 02 SS used to do the same thing.I know exactly what you are describing.My car has not did it since I had it tuned...most recently by Frost.It is most likely a calibration issue,alsmost as if the pcm is confused as to downshift to 2nd or 3rd..I'm almost positive a tune with revised shift points and line pressure would take care of the shift issue with the WS6 you are looking at.

Black
    2002 TransAm

Guys,

Thanks for the input. If the car has stock 3.23 gears and stock converter like it should, then its probably a tranny calibration issue that a tune "should" correct. If it has steeper gears and/or aftermarket tc then a tune "might" correct this also.

I'll probably take it for another test drive and reevaluate.

Thanks,
    Steve

red
    99 camaro

My car has 323 and a4 try it at 65mph it should downshift into 2nd from od at that speed and at 72-75mph it should go into 3rd from od. This would tell ya if its downshifting at the correct speeds.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

To OP. My 02 Z28 did the same thing. I bought it new and thought there was a problem. Went back to the deaker and tried several others. The other 3 they had on the lot did the same thing. I put a transgo shikt kit in a couple years back and that solved the problem. Now it only downshifts to second when I do it manually.

Black
    2002 TransAm

If the car has stock gears and stock converter then I'm convinced it's not normal. The dealer is telling me that it is. I'm negotiating on the vehicle and taking into consideration there "may" be a tranny issue. If the price is right I'll buy it, if not the search continues.

Steve

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I think you may be felling the PWM (power waist managment) It pulls timing durring the gear change to reduce the damage caused by a WOT shift.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    I think you may be felling the PWM (power waist managment) It pulls timing durring the gear change to reduce the damage caused by a WOT shift.
    pwm is pulse width modulated.
    you're thinking of Torque Management

Black
    2002 TransAm

Update: I bypassed the 2002 Firebird and went with a 99 Camaro SS Convertible A4 w/ 66k miles. The car is immaculate and shifts like it should.

steve

Thread Information