victory red
    2002 z28

a4 shifter ideas

so i have a 2002 z28 a4.i havent done anything to it yet but change the oil and i have been lookin at a tranny upgrade for it.i like to shift from time to time and was wondering if any one knows of a good ratchet shifter set up that will work in my car.also any good ideas for shift kits to make it nice and firm shift an throw me back.one last question does any one know what does a reverse manual valve body mean? thanx for any help since tranmissions are not my specialty.tryin to learn.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

welcome to the forum!... I know nothing about Trans so...good luck!

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

I've seen pics of the b & m mega shifter in them but cant remember the site,sorry. I have the b&m transpak in mine and the torque management off using the vinci power tuner.The tranny shifts extremely firm with no hesitation. I like it! I have never operated a reverse valvebody but I believe the the gear operation is just backwards, someone will corect me if im wrong.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

The computer can think faster than you can. Find a good tuner and have him set the trans up the way you want it to work.

A "reverse manual valve body" is something you don't want or need in a stock daily driver. It's usually set up for race only cars. It shifts backwards from the normal auto tranny pattern. You have to manually shift the trans to the gear you want. You have to down shift when slowing down as it won't back shift on its own. It will stay in whatever gear you put it in. If this is a dedicated "race only" vehicle then no problem. Otherwise, well it's your car, but I wouldn't do it to a daily driver.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 08-13-2007 at 07:57 AM.

victory red
    2002 z28

thanks guys for the help guys. i think ill just throw a nice ratchet shifter in there.its gonna be my street strip car so ill stay away from the reverse valve body.least i know what it is now.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

when my car was a DD I had a 3200 stall converter with a Transgo shift kit in my auto and it shifted GREAT! Shifted hard and exactly where I would want it to if I were to shift it myself. Personally, i'd get the 4l60 pimped out a little bit first and see if that fixes the problem before you go and change shifters etc etc since you haven't really modded it yet. Ive heard negative things about manually shifting the 4l60 anyway. although i'm sure someone else knows more about that than i do. figured i'd throw it out there.

reverse manual is PRN123 instead of regular forward PRN321

victory red
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by TwiSSter418 View Post
    when my car was a DD I had a 3200 stall converter with a Transgo shift kit in my auto and it shifted GREAT! Shifted hard and exactly where I would want it to if I were to shift it myself. Personally, i'd get the 4l60 pimped out a little bit first and see if that fixes the problem before you go and change shifters etc etc since you haven't really modded it yet. Ive heard negative things about manually shifting the 4l60 anyway. although i'm sure someone else knows more about that than i do. figured i'd throw it out there.

reverse manual is PRN123 instead of regular forward PRN321
    awsome.that sounds llike a damn good idea.ill look into it.now all i need is some down time to do it....

Thread Information