Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Question 98 WS6 4L60 Bellhousing bolt removal??

Hi guys

My 4L60 when shit on me at the begining of the month, i decided to order a rebuild of of e-bay and do a swap.

But me and a couple budys are having a problem getting the top bellhousing bolts out.

the top drivers side, and they say there's one dead center in the top also. the new transmission doesnt have a bolt hole in the bell housing there, and i couldnt see the bolt in the car.

But we are stuck i we've lowered the transmission on a transmission jack as far as it will go and we cant get access to these last two bolts. As far as we can tell its the only thing left before this bitch comes out.

I'm about ready to bolt it back together and tow it to a shop

Any Ideas?

Casey
    Last edited by setzer6127; 01-28-2008 at 07:14 AM.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Usually a long 3/8 extension and wobbly socket will get them

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Thats what i thought, The guys i were working with were both getting frustrated, and i couldnt really get under there very well so i didnt give it much of a try. I think i may need more extensions and try and get the ratchet farther back. We'll see i guess.

Now i got to figure out how to drop the headers seems as my free help busted two of the studs off of the driver side header where the cat bolts on...

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    Usually a long 3/8 extension and wobbly socket will get them
    I have a 4 foot long extention from snap on to get at those bolts and its the only thing I have ever used that thing for

Red
    2000 Trans Am

i just pulled the intake both times i had to pull my trannys out. then used a wrench.

If your new trans doesnt have bolt holes there you might not have the right trans.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

well i havent gotten back out to my car yet, weather here is shit. But i've gotten a 24" extension from harbor freight, and i think i may buy one more just to be safe.

As far as the top center bolt, the new bellhousing doesnt have it, but i have the dealer books for the 98 fbody and its diagrams for the bellhousing dont show a center bolt ...

I was told some times theres a center bolt sometimes there isnt, and i was also told sometimes its just a pin to center the bellhousing.. i havent verified that it is bolt or not.

Removing the intake isnt a horrible idea i supose.. but that doesnt look fun in there and i have yet to do that to an LS1...

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

their not too bad to get to. you must have a lot of patience. I used about 5 or 6 standard 3/8" drive extensions and a universal at the end with the socket. the best way i found was to get as straight on as possible with your ratchet by the tailhousing.
    I was using a lift, however, and if your not its goin to be more of a pain in the ass. If ya think its a bitch gettin em out just wait til you have to put em back it! lol not meaning to discourage you.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Extensions+wobble or pulling the intake are the 2 best routes unfortunately.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Thanks guys! i got all of them out now, bought two 24" extensions did a the job. Though the bitch still doesn't want to come lose.. the only thing i have left on it is the filler tube.. thats my next step probably tomorrow if weather is ok..

white
    1998 ws6 trans am

Mine was stuck on the pins. I worked the tailshaf back and forth then used a prybar on the starter location and inspection plate on the driver side. Keep working the tranny and it will break loose. You will need to pull the dipstick tube which is bolted to the rear ot the passenger side head.

Thread Information