Brown,purple sort of
    1998 chevy shortbed

Thumbs down 98 4l60e confusion

i have a 98 chevy v6 1500 standard cab pickup. and blew up my 4l60e trans i got a 97 used 4l60e to replace it. it doesnt work i was told they were the same. i took my truck to a trans shop and they said that only a 98 4l60e would work because the electronics. My question is will a 98 ls1 4l60e work or are there any other trans that would work right.

Someone Told You Wrong

tHE 97 TRANNY AS LONG AS IT IS AND LS1 TYPE WILL WORK AS WILL THROUGH 2003 THE ELECTRONICS ARE COMPATABLE , i WOULD SUGGEST YOU SEEK A DIFFERENT SHOP ,
    WHAT ABOUT IT DOES NOT WORK ASSUMING THAT ITS ALLREADY IN THE TRUCK
    MEGAMAX

Brown,purple sort of
    1998 chevy shortbed

when i got it 1st and 2nd slipped and the rest worked OK, then i lost the others and only had 1st and 2nd, now i only have 1st so im going 20 mph pulling 4k rpm. and the trans fluid foams, and overflows and im pretty sure its boiling to.

you im afraid just got a bad tranny , they are electronically compatable i have been building 4l60e trannys for many years and i know what works , you need another tranny
    megamax

Brown,purple sort of
    1998 chevy shortbed

Thumbs down

i have been looking around and i have heard many times that the 3 piece 98 is the only one that will work. but sense i have a v6 vortec motor i was wondering if a 98 4l60e ls1 trans is compatible or not because apparently the 98 v6 is wired weird or somthing

no theyy are not wired differently , that is not your problem .from 97 up the only changes were valve body related and those haad to do with the way the pwm function worked , other than that there were four case styles.
    two peace ,three peace 3.4 litre,three peace non ls1 (i would think that would be yours )and the ls1 type sometimes called the 4l65e . like i said i beleave you just got hold of a bad tranny,
    megamax

I agree. There is no electronic issue that is going to cause this set of symptoms. The replacement unit has issues. Why install a used transmission in the first place? Cost? Look at where you are at right now.... can't be any savings in doing it twice.

I can help you. I am in the D/FW area. We own two shops and like building the 4l60e's... they have a bum rap. We happen to think that they hold up well in high h/p applications.... when in the hands of the right builder.

ACE Performance Transmission
    817 605 3151

Thread Information