Black and Gold
    03 Ford Mach 1

97 Z28 Auto question

My brother-in-law just purchased a 97 Z28, it is an automatic, and he said on the selector there is no number 1 to manual shift from 1st to second. The questions, is there any way to manual shift from 1st to 2nd? Next, at what RPM is factory shift point from 1st to 2nd?

Thanks!

It will shift itself from first to second. Don't know the factory set point. Am sure it's @ low RPM though; maybe 1,800 or 2,000?

It's probably a 2.73 (GU2) car if he can't select 1st gear. Friend of mine with a '96 just removed the shift knob and plate, then cut off the plastic stopper on the selector slide with a razor blade - now he can select first. '97's might be the same. Don't know the maximum/recommended RPM/MPH limits for manually shifting, should be in the owners manual. When in D/OD the PCM tuning shifts the car based upon load/speed/RPM, etc. Here's a link to 4th gen owners manuals just in case he didn't get one with the car: http://shbox.com/pdf/manuals.html

Black and Gold
    03 Ford Mach 1

Thanks for the information and the link, it appears that some had the selector for 1st, I find that odd, but I must say that I'm not shocked, the same guy had the same year Z28 with a six speed and the skip shift drove me nuts. I look at the Camaro as late model muscle, just like the Mustang. I'm sure the skip shift and the 1st gear missing from the selector has something to do with fuel economy, but I would think most owners are like me, and bought the car for the performance and fun factor.

Thread Information