silver
    1995 s10 4.3 vortec

'95 4L60E vs '01 4L60E biggest difference?

Anyone know what the physical difference is between a 2001 4l60e with a 2 peice bellhousing and the earlier 1995 4l60e with a 1 peice bellhousing?
    The electrical connectors are the same, don't care if the input shaft has 27 or 30 splines as the converter comes with the '01. I know the tail housing bolt pattern is different but only care if one is longer than the other ect...

They are both from an s-10 pickup wit 4.3 v6. OK I know i could measure some things, my problem is the '01 is still in the truck at a junk yard and they don't want to pull it unless i say ill buy it.

/

blackssimpala
    right now im attempting to put a 2 piece into a 1 piece car.
    so ill update you and let know what i had to do...

blackssimpala
    dont try it

Midnight Blue Metallic
    05 GTO

Electronics, VB, and worm tracks. They don't interchange. Almost all of the parts will, but not the complete unit. You can do it with a 98' up. A 95' can use a 95' or 96' only.
    Last edited by TTS; 04-21-2006 at 12:17 AM.

sunset orange
    2001 Z28

GM went to a 2 piece tranny so the case could all be the same and the only difference would be the bell housing. That way any engine could bolt to their tranny with changing bells only

silver
    1995 s10 4.3 vortec

it worked

The 2001 tranny was only 1/2 to 3/4 inches longer. The driveshaft worked fine. The biggest difference was the trans mount was just over 1 inch further back than my old tranny so it had to be modified. The VSS was slightly different (different connector, other side of tail-housing.) but i just cut off the old connector and spliced on a connector that would work, picked up off the shelf at autozone. Keep in mind the VSS is just an inductive pickup that sends pulses to the control module. The number of teeth it counts is what is important.
    The tranny shifts like it should. I could not be happier.

One other thing i forgot was the fluid lines are snap in type on the newer tranny so i screwed in the brass fittings from my old tranny.
    Last edited by kgrantkey; 04-25-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Midnight Blue Metallic
    05 GTO

You may get by, I wouldn't try it. The 95' (I am assuming you have a 95') 3-2 solenoid is a 10-15 ohm NC PWM type. The 97' up transmission uses a 20-30 ohm NO on/off type.

I can say it would not work the other way. With a 97' or later truck/ 95' trans. you would make the ECM leak it's smoke. I don't know why you don't have any DTC for a 3/2 solenoid yet. If you get past the DTC, and the 3-2 downshifts are ok at all throttle angles, we will still have see if there is a ECM driver failure down the road.
    Last edited by TTS; 04-26-2006 at 06:12 AM.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

The bellhousing bolt pattern is different on a LT1 and a LS1.

silver
    1995 s10 4.3 vortec

TTS, you may be more familiar with the function of the solenoids than i am. I can't identify which solenoid in the tranny is the 3-2 solenoid from the others.
    With what you have said in mind I may have gotten lucky. I did have to change out the wiring harness inside the tranny, because they damaged the 13 pin connector when they removed the 2001 tranny from the s-15 Jimmy. While was in the tranny there is one solenoid that is not connectorized, I was tempted to use the solenoid from my 95 tranny but didn't. There was another solenoid that used the same connector but the two pins were such that the connector didn't fit just right so i spliced on the connector form the 2001 tranny to my wiring harness so i could use all the solenoids from the newer tranny. I can't test for impedance differences with my limited test equipment and saw no reason to go over the harness change since i only did it because of the connector damage.
    If someone does this same swap they may have more dependability if they pull the wire harness and solenoids from the 95 and move over to the 2001 tranny, I couldn't say for sure without more detail on the electronic differences in the control modules and tranny.
    There is a big difference in N/O vs N/C im not sure what you mean, most solenoids energize when voltage is applied and deenergize when removed or reversed. All I can do now is drive it and see. If you know a link that shows the electronic control mechanism in detail, not a block diagram i would like to evaluate what problems i may expect or not.

Midnight Blue Metallic
    05 GTO

The 3-2 solenoid is in the front of the VB on the driver's side with the connector that did not fit. It has a different connector so it doesn't get installed in the wrong application. You cannot swap solenoids or harnesses and make it work, the VB and Case are different and ALL work as a set.

The only thing that might work, would be install a controller for a late model trans. I don't know the possibility of a factory one working, but aftermarkets are out there.

If and when you swap controllers, make sure the correct solenoids and matching harness is in there. G Luck, hope it works out.

Thread Information