hyperryder

4L60E tranny question help asap

ok heres my deal I know this is a chevy site but im very confused about some things. i own a toyota pick up im swaping the pissy engine in it for a 2003 4.3 v6 that has a 4L60e on it. i have been told that if i buy a 4.3 that has a 4L60e on it i have to use a 4l60e is this true if so why. i ask because a company call advanced adapters makes a belhousing adapter for a 4.3 to a stock toyota manual tranny and i want it but i dont want to have electrical issues. is there any thing i can do to make this as painless on my self. also i can just buy a transfer case adapter but it cost a lot of cash and i like 5 speed trannys. some one help please

silver
    1995 s10 4.3 vortec

You don't have to use the 4l60e. The change to a manual tranny may be easer than using the 4l60e and your existing wiring harness. The rest will be up to you.

hyperryder
    Quote Originally Posted by kgrantkey
    You don't have to use the 4l60e. The change to a manual tranny may be easer than using the 4l60e and your existing wiring harness. The rest will be up to you.
    yes but i beleave i have to use the 4l60e if my computer and wire harness came with it if i just take off the tranny i was told the motor would not run right is that true

silver
    1995 s10 4.3 vortec

Keep in mind IM just a backyard mechanic but the 4L60E shifts according to information from sensors that receive information from your engine to the transmission ECM. I don't think the engine runs from info recieved from the transmission....also the engine computer will default to a certain preset level of performance with a lack of info from some sensors, so will the tranny for that matter. Thats about as detaild as I can go.

Good luck

silver
    1995 s10 4.3 vortec

If it were me and I wanted to keep my 5sp tranny I would just install the 4.3 and concentrate on getting the 4.3 to run even if I had to use some after market spark and fuel systems.

White w/ red stripes
    87 MonteCarlo SS LS1/4L60

Quote Originally Posted by hyperryder
    yes but i beleave i have to use the 4l60e if my computer and wire harness came with it if i just take off the tranny i was told the motor would not run right is that true

I'm in the process of changing my 4L60E to a t56 the harness you would get from a stock car would be setup for one or the other so you would have to change the harness to do this. Also the computer is programed to specific transmissions auto or manual. Your computer could be reprogrammed to work properly with the manual trans or you could purchase one from someone around here or ebay, (I'm not having the best of luck trying to buy another one though) The automatic trans has a big 13 pin connection into the passenger side of the tranny and the VSS. The manual has the Vehicle Speed Sensor, Reverse lockout, and Skip shift solenoid connections. If you buy a painless harness you can use it with either or, it would be just getting the computer right.

This is what I have learned with my experiences with the ls1 swap I've done.

Hope this helps some.

Josh

Thread Information