Thread: 4L60e swap

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

4L60e swap

Ok, so i bought my camaro about 4 months ago, 96, v-6, 80K, babied.

Ive put 5k on it, i havent run it ragged, but i havent babied it. gotten a little sideways in the rain, squeeled a few corners, but no burn-outs, no doughnuts, ive definately stayed under 5k RPM's, and rarely gone over 4k.

The 4L60e is suppsoed to be built for 300 HP, ive got 200hp, so youd think i couldnt really hurt it, especially in 5k miles.

But im beginning to think its slipping, it feels like its not as responsive, it still pulls hard, but it seems like i need more RPM's to pull as hard, but im not 100%, it also likes to downshift more, but that may be a sensor problem.

anyway, if i do replace my tranny, what would be a good replacement, 400turbo maybe?

blue
    2000ss

Unless you are going to make a race car out of it I would not replace with a 3 speed auto , Fuel efficency will drop 30 percent, The higher gearing will make the bottom seem very weak unless you go with a large stall or lower rear ratios further hurting efficency, My advice if indeed the trans is going bad replace it with a well built 4l60e . However what your describing may ne even be a trans problem. To get the best Idea of the general state of the trans I suggest you have it serviced and see whats in the pan. But to me it sounds like you may have and engine running issue of some type rather than trans.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

what would i be looking for? dirty trans fluid, grit thats settled, chunks of stuff?

as soon as i get some time/money im gonna get it checked out.

what gets me though its that only 4th gear acts funny, if i dont plan on going over 50mph for a ways, ill drop it into 3rd, running about 2200 rpms and it runs fine. but we'll see.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

yeah, my tranny does the same thing on my ls1... my old v6 did it too and I put in a tranny cooler and never had another problem even though i started spraying a 100 shot even through shifts and running 13 sec 1/4 times rofl.

i'd suggest getting a tranny cooler in there ASAP, B&M makes a good kit. I am going to put one in my LS1 and if that doesn't kill the problem then I am going to start looking into getting it rebuilt.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I cleaned the MAF today and the damn thing is like a new car. Guarantee the sensor had been dirty as hell - throwing off the readings and lowering the line pressure, causing slippage and less-than-firm shifting. I'm SOOO happy about this I can't tell you how bad ass it feels to have my shit workin right again for nearly free!!!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

care to explain how i can do this, now that you say this, it definately sounds like a possibility

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    care to explain how i can do this, now that you say this, it definately sounds like a possibility
    you've got the angled TB 3.8, your maf is held in by 2 safety star screws. Go buy the bit from autozone and undo the wire going to the black box on top of the TB, slide it out, and making sure you have MAF cleaner (NOT CARB OR BRAKE CLEANER!!!), spray it down a few times, get it front and back, and put it back in. Don't drive the car for about 20 minutes after you treat the sensor, and you're set.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

ok, i havent looked recently, but i remember theyre being a few sensors on my throttle body, im def new to this stuff, ive always heard about MAF's, but ive never actually messed with one, what exactly am i looking for

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    ok, i havent looked recently, but i remember theyre being a few sensors on my throttle body, im def new to this stuff, ive always heard about MAF's, but ive never actually messed with one, what exactly am i looking for
    It ought to look like a rectangle with one corner cut off. You find your intake elbow and follow it to where it clamps onto the metal thing - that's your throttle body. It should angle downward; the MAF sensor will just look like a flat, black rectangle with one corner cut off if I remember correctly. There will be a sizeable wiring harness going to it, you unplug this then unscrew the sensor and pull it out and be careful not to touch the wires, it will be a 1/4" pole in the bottom with a hole cut in the middle of it that holds the wires.

Thread Information