Maroon
    1994 GMC

Question 4L60E remarkable

Here is a good one. Last year I purchased a truck with the 4L60E and was told it had only 5000 miles on a new rebuild for the tranny. It would go from 1st to 3rd after letting off the gas to let it shift. I tore it down and it was in need of a rebuild. Did everything correctly. I put 4000 miles on the trans and now the same problem. I tore it down today and found no bad clutches and 2-4 band is OK. I have replaced the solenoids at rebuild but used the old Torque converter. Just before it began doing the same thing I noticed that as I drove over roads with ruff spots it would drop out of, ( I assume) OD but went right back in. Then got to where I would need to drive for several miles before it would go into OD in the morning. Any suggestions, I am stumped here. Thanks in advance for any replies.

hugger orange

Fluid runs through the converter, so if you used the same converter it could collected debries and then pumped it back into the fresh rebuilt tranny. hate to say it but you should allways replace the torque converter when you do a rebuild, along with a new tranny cooler.
    check the torqe converter lockup solinoid (always running unlocked will cause overheating)
    check the shift linkages to be sure they are the right ones and not bent (effectively not fully putting the tranny in gear and leaving it between gears)
    also check to be sure your trannys aren't kinked causing a blockage that would lead to overheating.
    hope one of these help!

Maroon
    1994 GMC

Converter might be

Thanks for the reply. I did know better on the converter but got lazy or something. I will look into this on Friday and see what it might be. I put a 98 4L60E in it for now but want to get the original back in. The 98 is a used one but gets me by. All I did was to remove the PWM solenoid and change the wiring harness, the rest was the same. I am also going to go with a shift kit this time and a better Servo set. Thanks again for the info.

hugger orange

trust me I did NOT want to buy another converter for mine, but when I did I jumped up to a 3,800 and love it!
    I bought a fresh rebuilt one off of a local guy and ran it while I rebuilt mine to bulletproof.
    I do have a good stock converter if you want it.........just pay shipping

Maroon
    1994 GMC

Smile converter

Thank you so very much for the offer, it is very kind. I did get one a week ago and will be putting it in this weekend. Our nearest speed shop, (Jeggs) is about 70 miles away but I will be going to the VA Hospital next month and will be making a stop for sure.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Thank you so very much for the offer, it is very kind. I did get one a week ago and will be putting it in this weekend. Our nearest speed shop, (Jeggs) is about 70 miles away but I will be going to the VA Hospital next month and will be making a stop for sure.
    lol if it makes you feel better I drove from Maryland to Summit racing up I'm Ohio for parts one time just so I could see the store

Maroon
    1994 GMC

Smile Seperator Plate

After all these issues with this 4L60E I read somewhere on this site that someone had similar issues and when they changed the seperater plate their tranny worked fine. So! I dropped over to the local tranny shop and picked up a Transgo plate and put it in my old 1994 Valve body. I than installed this unit with wiring harness in a 1998 4L60E that I have in my 1994 GMC and it works like new. Two things accomplished here, a 1998 4L60E can work in a 1994 with valve body and wiring change and if there seems not to be any 4th and TC lockup it can be the seperater plate.

hugger orange

maybe one of these days I'll understand more about automatics lol I for now I just don't know how the valvebody works

Thread Information