black
    1987 firebird LT1

4l60E problems????

Ok I put a 95 lt1 and a 4l60e into a 87 firebird, and everything ran good. I have a transgo shift kit and a 3300 custom made stall. Now I went to the track last night and it ran good for the first couple of passes, then after a pass I only had first gear driving back to the staging area. I let it cool for about an half hour and every thing was good again. I ran it again and the same thing, so I let it sit again and drove it home.

It only does it after a drag race or when it heats up, or I think heat could be the problem. I am also running a 28000 gvw B&M tranny cooler, but in the staging line there is no air flow othere then one of my fans running.

Could heat be the problem???
    Could it be a sticky selonoid???

Also I do not know yet if it goes back to normal operation after I let it cool or if the tranny resets the after I put it in park?

Any ideas?????
    thanks

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

hmm the heat could be a contributing factor to your problems however definatly not your only problem. when it does shift does it shift firmly and quickly? try and have a tranny shop do a scan on it.. or maybe your having more of a pcm problem from the swap.. just some ideas

black
    1987 firebird LT1

The shifts are quick and firm as could be when I am above the stall. I scanned it and all of the readings seemed fine, and when I shifted it the scanner indicated the correct gear. The only thing that it said was tps reading to high.

Like I said before it shifts fine untill I run the car alot or do alot of burn outs, and then I only get first gear???

But the gears come back just the way they were when I let it cool or shift it into park and then back to drive. I am not sure which because every time it happened at the track I let it sit for a while then tried it.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

pcm

black
    1987 firebird LT1

I scanned the engine and tranny and the only thing that I found was a code that said :TPS reading to high. Does the TPS have anything to do with the
    4l60e shifting, because it does not run a kick down cable????

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You running synthetic ATF? If so get it out of there and run dino ATF.

black
    1987 firebird LT1

I am running penzoil dextron atf.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

'TPS' refers to the Throttle Position Sensor. It controls when the transmission shifts based on % of TPS. The 'wide open throttle' (100%) shifts are set up differently from 'regular' shifts which are usually 12, 25, and 50% of TPS. These settings also differ depending on rear-end gears. The line pressures can vary from 53-227PSI depending on Pressure Control Solenoid Current (Amps).
    It sounds like under 'normal' operating conditions (part throttle) everything is fine, but under 'wide open throttle' is where the problems start. The two easiest things to check is to make sure all the wires from the TPS to the ECM and to the trans all look good (connections) and I assume that is a new/rebuilt trans that has a new filter and fluid and is full. I'm not sure if you can pick this up on LS1 Edit or whatever tuning program you're using, but if all else fails get your local dealer to check it with their Tech1 and diagnose the problem. Good luck. Stuff like this can be really frustrating.
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

Thread Information