Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4l60e or 4l80e

black
    2000 trans am

4l60e or 4l80e

which trans is better and why the 4l60e or the 4l80e. what holds up the best? what tranny would you guys go with?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

4l80e

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

biggest downfall of the 4l80e.....its a tank..and requires A LOT of custom fab work for it to fit...the 4l60e is a good trans until you start really straining it..mid-heavy modds...a better choice..the th400

black
    02 z28 camaro

i think i read somewhere in a mag that some parts are interchangeable which will make the 4l60e durable and stronger.?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02blackz View Post
    i think i read somewhere in a mag that some parts are interchangeable which will make the 4l60e durable and stronger.?
    shouldnt be...the 4l80e is a tank and physically larger...sure you weren't thinking of the 4l65e ?

NBM
    1998Z28

I would recommend a Performabuit Stage 2 4L60E. It is rated at 700rwhp. So far mine has been a good one. I wasted 2 rebuids on my stock 4L60E and I couldn't ever get it to shift right. And I had it rebuilt with the extra wide bands,Raybestos Zpack race clutchs, and the good Transgo shift kits and it NEVER performed correctly. I don't think you can build one as good as you can buy one. Now on a stock engine your rebuilt 4L60e would be fine. But on a modded car it is a waste of money.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

98' trans am

weird! torque kills transmissions doesnt it
    i'd be more worried about its torque rating then hp

98' trans am

but i will agree go with performancebuilt trans....good company they run

black
    02 z28 camaro

im not sure Shady Milkman, but it was something about the planetary gears being that the 4l60e has 4 and a similiar one has 5 and some other compatible small parts. i think it was a CHP mag, they were doing an article on a 94-96 Caprice that hauld ass for being such a whale. wait, that was the name of the project "Killer Whale".

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02blackz View Post
    im not sure Shady Milkman, but it was something about the planetary gears being that the 4l60e has 4 and a similiar one has 5 and some other compatible small parts. i think it was a CHP mag, they were doing an article on a 94-96 Caprice that hauld ass for being such a whale. wait, that was the name of the project "Killer Whale".
    hmm i'll take your work

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

id go the 4l80 if you will even be close to 700,anything more its not even a question 4l80e all the way!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    id go the 4l80 if you will even be close to 700,anything more its not even a question 4l80e all the way!
    a former member here is running 700rwhp-ish with a flt built 4l60e

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    and your point?I have had 8 of them in and out of my car in the last year alone,nuff said? maybe ok in a lighter fbody but the GTO eats emI am talking from personal experiences.I have the better 4l65e its not a daily driver,just a toy i drive and take to track,when you get less then 2 months out of one ,thats built by a very well known shop,time to look for something stronger ,my vote is for a 4l80.

98' trans am

and your point?I have had 8 of them in and out of my car in the last year alone,nuff said? maybe ok in a lighter fbody but the GTO eats emI am talking from personal experiences.I have the better 4l65e its not a daily driver,just a toy i drive and take to track,when you get less then 2 months out of one ,thats built by a very well known shop,time to look for something stronger ,my vote is for a 4l80.
    some one is a lil ass hurt here i think..take a chill point..how do you like the 65e ? who built your trans ?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I've been reading threads about this lately 'cause I need to do something with my trans.

From what I understand....the 4l80e is much stronger out of the box. Has a heavy duty input shaft as where the 4l60e does not. So basically a stock 4l80e can take alot of punishment. The downside is that it's much heavier and also the gearing in it is designed for a truck....since that's what they came in. It's rather costly to get different gearing. There are some "conversion" steps to be taken to make one fit in an fbody.....also it needs a different torque converter. I just spent $1k on a vig multi disc unit so I may just stick with the 4l60e so I don't incur another converter expense.

As with everything.....it comes down to preference really. Each of these transmissions have their pro's and con's. As does the TH400 too.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Only company I would have build an automatic as well.

For a street car, the 4l60e built up.
    For a drag car, TH400.

I wouldn't bother with getting the 4l80e to fit.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    I've been reading threads about this lately 'cause I need to do something with my trans.

From what I understand....the 4l80e is much stronger out of the box. Has a heavy duty input shaft as where the 4l60e does not. So basically a stock 4l80e can take alot of punishment. The downside is that it's much heavier and also the gearing in it is designed for a truck....since that's what they came in. It's rather costly to get different gearing. There are some "conversion" steps to be taken to make one fit in an fbody.....also it needs a different torque converter. I just spent $1k on a vig multi disc unit so I may just stick with the 4l60e so I don't incur another converter expense.

As with everything.....it comes down to preference really. Each of these transmissions have their pro's and con's. As does the TH400 too.
    also there is more of a problem with the planetary gears etc with poor oil circulation and lubercation that causes the 4l60Es to burn up 9 out of 10 times

black
    2000 trans am

to f***in bad i cant put an allison 6 spd in this ta hahaha i loved tranny in my 07 duramax. i have never beat up anything so bad in my life and i never broke it once, i tryed like hell to break it and never could not even over heat it....even slammin the gears on the tap shift didnt hurt it.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

some one is a lil ass hurt here i think..take a chill point..how do you like the 65e ? who built your trans ?
    Bottom line,the 4l60 and the 4l65e will not take the abuse! and sore no im not sore unless you count my back from putting trans in and out of car 8 times in last year,I was racing cars back when you were in our moms belly there milky,im betting you never even had enough power to brake a trans and the tran am is prob the first rear wheel car you have ever had the pleasure of driving..lol
    the forum is in here in part to inform readers,im NOt here to have a pissing match with you..trust me the builder is a very well known one,the trans I have works great until i brake it again,last time i broke it was the billet impeller on the converter and took out the front pump,you know the part of the converter that goes into the front of the transmission.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

98' trans am

I was racing cars back when you were in our moms belly there milky,im betting you never even had enough power to brake a trans and the tran am is prob the first rear wheel car you have ever had the pleasure of driving..lol
    weird...i am still trying to figure out what that has to do with anything ? but yes the trans am is my first rear wheel drive car..but i have got to drive a 93 viper a 05 viper srt-10 a 06 or 05 c6 z06 .. a 01 vette and a 07 c6 so i mean whats your point ? you dont think i have enough power to break my trans..fair enough..but for the price you have had to pay for 8+ trans in a year..i think thats a good thing..and i guess you being older then me automatically (get it automatic) makes you cooler then me and its a diss..in which case my grandfather whips your ass in the coolness department.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information