Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

4L40E rebuild question(s)

hey everybody, i have a 2000 WS6 (auto) and im about to have a transmission rebuild done...what are some things i could do to "beef" up the transmission? i im sticking with the stock cam and diff. gears, witch i think are 3.23's on the WS6...its a daily driver, so i havent gone to crazy with mods, just a slp airlid,oil catch can,free ram air mod, slp y-pipe and LM1, diablo tune. going back to factory tune, someone freegin stole my diablo tuner. hated the tune anyway, its probably why my transmission is messed up...anyway thats another story...what kind of torque converter does anyone recommend, and a shift kit if any? im kinda new with transmissions so bare with me

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I had the trans go shift kit, but I got a new valve body so the current vb needs modified to put the trans go back in. It's a very firm shift.

I use a Yank converter, but if I were to do it over again. I'd give Frank at performabuilt a call. He's a stand up guy and has sold me parts in the past. They'll stand behind their product and they can sell you a converter with your fresh transmission and include the external cooler.

Real good transmissions, my roommate runs one. I would have, but I didn't have enough money at the time.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

FWIW, your car has a 4L60E. Lot's of things can be done to the tranny but what you should have done to it will depend on what you ultimately want to do with the car. If you stay "mostly stock" it will be different than if you go all out.

I had quite a bit done to the 02 but I race it a lot at the track also.

More info is required...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

beast sunshell, shift kit, pump upgrades, more clutches in the 3-4 clutch pack, external cooler, deep oil pan(maybe?).
    Good converters from Yank, Circle D, precision industries Vigilante

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Did LS1 4l60-e's come with the corvette servo already? If not Servo for sure and wider band.

Blackened fire chicken

i guess im going to keep it mostly stock, its my DD, so im not racing it at the tracks or anything, just sum honda munching on the freeway ...so a shift kit, higher stall TC i was thinking somewhere between 3,000-3,500 , and an external cooler are good? hey cutlass, what where you talking about with having more clutches on the 3-4 clutch pack?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    i guess im going to keep it mostly stock, its my DD, so im not racing it at the tracks or anything, just sum honda munching on the freeway ...so a shift kit, higher stall TC i was thinking somewhere between 3,000-3,500 , and an external cooler are good? hey cutlass, what where you talking about with having more clutches on the 3-4 clutch pack?
    Stronger clutches.

If it's your DD 3,200 to 3,600 is ideal, if not your DD then 3,600+ for the stall converter.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

4l60e's are weak trannies from the factory.they all go out at one point.thing is...who are you going to get to rebuild it?any tranny shop will say they can rebuild your unit wit no problems..they've been ding it for years,etc.but not just any tranny shop will do it properly.they tell you they will,but in all reality,there are only a few builders that can make a 4l60e last.you want to be able to put it in D and pin the throttle with no worries,right?i would be very surprised if you find a local builder that can make that happen for you.i hope you can find one.if i were you i would go with FLT.do it once.do it right.SAVE MONEY IF YOU DONT HAVE IT ALL RIGHT NOW.DO NOT GO BUDGET.IT WILL NOT BE WORTH IT.BUDGET WILL WORK WITH OTHER PARTS BUT NOT WITH 4L60E.hope this helps.

ps trans am 4l60e do have a corvette servo.stock

Blackened fire chicken

well my dads friend HIGHLY recommended this guy at hi-tek auto in el segundo (west los angeles area), and since im borrowing the money from my dad , he told me to take it there...me and the mechanic were talking about beefing up the transmission with a new TC and shift kit etc. or i can just get a re-maned unit for $1,800, and thats not including labor to install, hes going to call me later today and let me know my options...my budget is $2000, so i figured that would be enough for a good quality transmission or rebuild. ill spend a little more if i have too, the, transmission is pretty important, and like some of you said, itll be worth the extra money rather than going cheap.
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 01-05-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

That's not a very good price. I went locally because it was only 1200 and he built drag cars.

For that price, go with performabuilt or FLT, where u know how good they are because of their reputation.

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    That's not a very good price. I went locally because it was only 1200 and he built drag cars.

For that price, go with performabuilt or FLT, where u know how good they are because of their reputation.
    yeah, haha, i think the mechanic didnt think it was a very good price either. thats why hes going to call me back later and give me the "other" option of going the performance route

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

hey cutlass, what where you talking about with having more clutches on the 3-4 clutch pack?
    From the factory, the 3-4 clutch pack comes with 5 or 6 clutch discs(can't remember exactly). There are 9 disc clutch packs out that will fit. More clutches equals more grip.
    Minimum upgrades you should do, Beast sunshell, Shift kit, 9 disc 3-4 clutchpack, and trans cooler.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

well my dads friend HIGHLY recommended this guy at hi-tek auto in el segundo (west los angeles area), and since im borrowing the money from my dad , he told me to take it there...me and the mechanic were talking about beefing up the transmission with a new TC and shift kit etc. or i can just get a re-maned unit for $1,800, and thats not including labor to install, hes going to call me later today and let me know my options...my budget is $2000, so i figured that would be enough for a good quality transmission or rebuild. ill spend a little more if i have too, the, transmission is pretty important, and like some of you said, itll be worth the extra money rather than going cheap.
    I know the company you speak of. For some reason the name Tony comes to mind. I had them rebuild a couple of TH350's for me back in the 90's.

Some background: I used to live in Gardena and I worked in El Segundo for ~25 years. My step father (RIP) worked at Hughes (now Boeing) and lived in El Segundo. After he retired he used to help the guys at Hi-Tek out part time (answering phones and such). This is how I found out about them.

The 4l60E in my 02 was reworked by a guy here in PHX. Like Cutlass states, we went with the Beast sunshell (stainless steel vs the stocker being aluminum), deleted Torque Management and substituted a shift kit, more/heavy duty racing clutches, installed a tranny cooler and a 3400 stall TC. He also did a bunch of other internal mods to the tranny to increase line pressure.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 01-05-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added stuff

Blackened fire chicken

yeah, tony at hi-tek! small world, crazy...yeah, he came highly recommended.

Blackened fire chicken

The 4l60E in my 02 was reworked by a guy here in PHX. Like Cutlass states, we went with the Beast sunshell (stainless steel vs the stocker being aluminum), deleted Torque Management and substituted a shift kit, more/heavy duty racing clutches, installed a tranny cooler and a 3400 stall TC. He also did a bunch of other internal mods to the tranny to increase line pressure.

hopefully i can do all this for 2K

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

2-1/2 years ago I had all the work done to my tranny and the cost (including the TC, parts, rebuild and R&R) was just north (by a few dollars) of $2k.

This was my price for me dropping off the car and picking it up 1 week later.

Blackened fire chicken

ok, sounds like im going with a 2,200 stall TC, a trans go shift kit, more/heavy duty clutch kit, the beast sunshell, i couldnt understand most of the stuff he was saying about the internal mods, but it sounds good to me haha...i guess the higher stall TC's are really good for racing, but not so much for DD from what tony told me...think it'll be around $2,000-$2,500

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

ok, sounds like im going with a 2,200 stall TC, a trans go shift kit, more/heavy duty clutch kit, the beast sunshell, i couldnt understand most of the stuff he was saying about the internal mods, but it sounds good to me haha...i guess the higher stall TC's are really good for racing, but not so much for DD from what tony told me...think it'll be around $2,000-$2,500
    NOOOO, DO NOT get a 2,200 stall. I have a 4,000. You are going to be seriously disappointed. I hope to god you meant 3,200.

Blackened fire chicken

apparently, i was told thats too high for daily driving and itll slip alot...im seriously dissapointed my transmission went to shit, i dont care as long as they fix it, and fix it right!

Blackened fire chicken

Most mild race cars (9-10 second quarter mile times) use anywhere from 3,500 stalls to 4,500 stall speeds on average. Faster cars usually use even higher stall speeds, especially in smaller cubic inch engines that don't make the torque of big displacement engines. Also, the higher the stall speed, the more heat the converter will make, from hydraulic (fluid) friction inside the converter. A high stall converter can easily make enough heat to fry a transmission if you hold it on the line long enough at full RPM if the stall speed is above 3,500RPM or so, so a good tranny cooler is essential when running ANY type of high stall converter.

Most street performance cars running your typical "performance" cam should be running a stall converter in the 2,800 RPM area. For hotter cars (street / strip) with bigger cams, etc. then a converter in the 3,000 - 3,200 RPM is more suited. For mild performance cars with something like a 350 HP engine, a 2,400 stall is about right. The basic rule of thumb is; if your engine "comes alive" at say, 3,500 RPM, then you want a stall converter with about 3,500 of stall to it. Most people tend to over cam and over carberate their cars... and those same people tend to under stall converter their cars too, which REALLY makes it a complete turd. if they need a 3,000 RPM stall, they'll usually get something like a 2,000 RPM, which just doesn't get it off the line. You have to remember... 80% of the race is the first 100 feet. If you can't get off the line, you are going to lose the race.

my car is a mild performance vehicle, its pretty much just a stock WS6 with an airlid and a catback and im not planning on going crazy with a bigger cam or whatever, so 2,400 stall is just fine
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 01-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information