Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2200 stall

green
    98 z28

2200 stall

i got a 98 z28 im looking at a 2200 or 2000 stall how bad will this effect my gas milage its a daily driver for the most part but im looking for a couple of upgrades that wont kill mpgs if you could send me links that be cool thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Don't waste your time with a 2000 or 2200 convertor, you won't even notice a difference. Do yourself a favor and get a 3500. You won't see much difference in MPG on the highway, it won't affect your in town MPG that much either.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

That's like, STOCK! Go big or go home.

A lockup TC with big stall (3400+, and 3400 ain't that big) will not affect driving (much). Lockup is controlled by programming so you can set it where you want. You will have to do accompanying tranny mods such as: Delete torque management and substitute a shift kit + a good tranny cooler. Also a stainless steel sun shell with better clutches wouldn't hurt.

How many miles are on the tranny? This will determine what you should do.

FYI: Mine had only 47,xxx on it and it was already showing signs of wear. I went through the whole kit and kaboodle. Wasn't cheap but it works flawlessly!

I worry more about the rear end than I do the tranny.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post

A lockup TC with big stall (3400+, and 3400 ain't that big) will not affect driving (much). Lockup is controlled by programming so you can set it where you want. You will have to do accompanying tranny mods such as: Delete torque management and substitute a shift kit + a good tranny cooler. Also a stainless steel sun shell with better clutches wouldn't hurt.

FYI: Mine had only 47,xxx on it and it was already showing signs of wear. I went through the whole kit and kaboodle. Wasn't cheap but it works flawlessly!

Agreed, I think stock is 1600 or 1800.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Like above stated our converters lock up so you don't have the same mpg problems people with th350's and the like have.

green
    98 z28

101xxx and as of this morning im an out of work painter so if you got any links to help me out that doesnt completely bend me over id appriciate it

For real world comparison. I went to a 3400 converter. I only lost 2 mpg city driving (22 down to 20)
    Highway stayed the same obviously, above 40 it locks up.

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

Is that stuff neccesary ? i was looking into getting a 3600 and i didnt know about those items. i also kind of a noob with these things lol

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhatUpWhatUp View Post
    Is that stuff neccesary ? i was looking into getting a 3600 and i didnt know about those items. i also kind of a noob with these things lol
    A cooler is a must, heat kills the auto trannies. If you don't put a cooler on, your tranny will probably croak in a month.

Shift kit is not a must, but beneficial and makes it more enjoyable. Same with deleting torque management.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by WhatUpWhatUp View Post
    I had my friend's shop do the work. While he does all the normal type things you'd expect of an auto repair facility, he specializes in Hi-Performance work (he has a mid 11 second 2001 B4C). Since the tranny was already out we decided to open it up. The car had 47,xxx on it. The stock sun shell was useable but was slightly scorched (it's aluminum and it was slightly discolored) because I'd been exposing the car to severe duty usage (read: drag racing). Also the clutches were ok but I decided to go the extra mile and replace the sun shell with "The Beast" sun shell (it's made out of stainless steel) and replaced the clutches with Raybestos clutches. My friend did a few other internal mods that also weren't strictly necessary but which allow the tranny to better "live" under those conditions.

Like I said, not strictly necessary but it gave me peace of mind knowing it would take what I had in store (and more for the future).

White
    2000 Camaro

I had a 3600 stall converter in my 2000 Z28. I didn't like it so I put the stock one back in. I feel my 1/4 times are just as good and driving on the street is much better.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mdw9965 View Post
    I had a 3600 stall converter in my 2000 Z28. I didn't like it so I put the stock one back in. I feel my 1/4 times are just as good and driving on the street is much better.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

You feel?

I take it then you didn't put it on the track? I did. Results tested with a 1/2 second reduction in my 1/4 mile time (13.09 down to 12.59) and .22 second reduction in my 60' time (1.95 to 1.73).

And, while it's not my DD it's not that bad around town.

You feel?

I take it then you didn't put it on the track? I did. Results tested with a 1/2 second reduction in my 1/4 mile time (13.09 down to 12.59) and .22 second reduction in my 60' time (1.95 to 1.73).

And, while it's not my DD it's not that bad around town.
    Agreed. I made nice quarter mile gains with my 3400 as well, and I haven't even used the converter to it's full potential, I just ran on stock rubber and still had to peddle the car. Car drives just fine on the street.

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

metallic pewter, red
    2002 Z28, 1972 Z28

Went with a 3200 on my dd, milage went down about 2mpg, also went from 2.73 to 3.42 at the same time.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Still awaiting proof that your 1/4 mile times are "just as good"...

I've got time slips from Firebird Raceway and SpeedWorld here in Phoenix, what have you got? SOTP? Buttdyno? SWAG?

pewter
    2001 pontiac trans am ws6

this is the first auto guy Ive read about that DID NOT like an aftermarket stall. Im considering one...what are the drawbacks other than lower mpgs?

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001taws6 View Post
    this is the first auto guy Ive read about that DID NOT like an aftermarket stall. Im considering one...what are the drawbacks other than lower mpgs?
    Not too many drawbacks other than traction issues. A set of stickies will take care of that though. I run a Yank 3600 and will never look back. It's a night and day difference from the stock converter. Steet manners are fine and the car launches like a raped ape. A tranny cooler is a must, but other than that... it is a must have upgrade for A4's.

Once your stalled....your deep down "second thoughts" about how you should have got a T56 will be long gone.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 2001taws6 View Post
    Other than the cost of having it done (stall/upgrades to tranny/reprogramming/cooler) not a thing. Best mod I've done so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information