bplazas

2-3 shift problem

Hi everyone

I'm having problems with my 4l60e, c1500 MY 95

It doesn't shift 2 to 3 on this conditions:
    1. Transmission oil warm or hot
    2. engine rpm over 1500 on second gear
    3. any TPS position

If you drive under 1500 rpm on second gear it will shift without troubles.

Check with tech 1, and ecm command 3 gear but transmission doesn't shift.
    No error codes on ecm.

I'm thinking 2-3 solenoid valve, or 2-3 train valve may be the trouble.

Does any one have any other opinion?

Thanks for your help.

White

4l60E 2-3 shift problem

I have a 1994 K1500 with the 4l60E and mine basically did the same thing for quite a while....It would not shift into third until I got out of the throttle and let the motor rpm come down, then it would shift with no problems. I asked around and everyone told me "it HAS to be that your 2-3 clutch pack is toast." (I didn't believe them because when it would finally shift into 3rd I could step into it really hard and I couldnt get it to slip in 3rd gear which tells me that the 2-3 clutchpack is doing just fine). So I decided to install a transgo shiftkit myself hoping that when I was in the valve body I would find something that I thought could be causing the lazy shift problem....To no prevail I didn't find anything and even with replacing some of the valves in the valvebody (replaced the valves that come with the shift kit to replace) it still did the same thing. About two weeks after the shiftkit install, tranny started acting up (I believe it was because I overtorqued the valvebody and locked up valve) so I decided to pull it and have it professionally rebuilt with a better sprag, beast sunshell ect....I know the guy pretty well that went threw it and he told me that the 2-3 clutch pack was fine and that all the solenoids, TCC lockup valve, force motor and everything in the valvebody looked and tested good but he told me he would replace all of them just to make sure that we corrected the lazy 2-3 shift problem. When I got it back it shifted just fine, no problems whatsoever. So to tell you the truth, I truly think the problem was in the electronics in the valvebody i.e. one of the shift solenoids, Force motor, TCC lockup ect.....and not in the clutchpacks or deeper in the tranny. Everyone tried to scare me into thinking that the tranny was completely fried and that wasnt the case.

I know that I'm not really addressing what is wrong with your tranny but hopefully this can shed some light as to what might be going wrong with yours. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you or help you with.

350 .030 over, Eagle rods, Forged Pistons, Moly Rings, Edelbrock Intake, ported World SR Torqer heads, stainless undercut polished valves, comp Xtreme 4X4 roller cam, ported throttle body, ported throttle body spacer, custom chip

-Clay
    Last edited by klaydoh; 01-20-2006 at 10:16 PM.

LS1+LT1=980hp

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am Firehawk

My 95 TA is doing the same thing - so should i replace the solenoid? do you think it could be the tuning program used to tune the shifts? - i use tunercat

bplazas
    I have been looking around on manuals and everything seems to be related to 2-3 valve train (actually I dont thing solenoid valve is causing the problem but two pieces on valve train).
    I will let you know when I have check it directly on transmission.

maroonZ
    There was some sort of seal/gasket that had failed in my brother's truck that made it do that. He had it rebuilt with a basic kit and now eveything works fine.

LS1+LT1=980hp

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am Firehawk

Anybody else having a 2-3 shift problem on a 4L60E in a truck of f-body?
    BMRacing LT1 - Ls1 - 4.6mod - 5.0 - Some Imports

White
    Oh, one more thing....when I first went through my valvebody and put the Transgo Shift kit in it I ordered an aluminum pinless forward accumulator because I heard that the stock plastic one can break and wear the bore they ride in and cause weird shifting behavior and late shift problems. However that wasnt the problem because the truck still had the lazy 2-3 shift after i did the shift kit.

Let me know what you guys find out, I would really like to know what was wrong with mine. Sorry im not as much help as I would like to be, I know it is quite an annoying problem and I wish I had a for sure answer as to what causes it but I dont.

-Clay

White
    Quote Originally Posted by FireHawk#75
    My 95 TA is doing the same thing - so should i replace the solenoid? do you think it could be the tuning program used to tune the shifts? - i use tunercat
    No, I don't believe the shifting problem has anything to do with the software program in the computer. Unless the shifting problem is directly related to when you install the new software or chip. In that case it sounds like the code has an error in it somewhere and that would be an entirely different problem then the one the others and I are having/had.

-Clay

black
    99 T/A

mine has been doing this thru 8 rebulids tell i replaced the the speed cinser sp? but that worked for about 12000 miles and now it doing it again i`m thinking about going to the m6 now

navy bleu
    1998 silverado

my 4l60e transmission does quit the same 1-2 shift is ok but will not come out when it has to shift to 3th ,it semes that it will take two gears at the same time 2nd and 3th and when i down shift to manually 2nd it runs smoother and when i keep driving i will burn 3th gear . when we lift the car it will go to 3th but not in overdrive , the 2-4 band is ok and the 3-4 clutch is also ok , 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoids are already changed but the problem is still the same

LS1+LT1=980hp

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am Firehawk

this problem is driving me nuts! - i changed the fluid and filter cleaned out the solenoids played with the tune for hours but with no results!- i am about to do a m6 swap if i cant figure this out! - but i need to find out if it is the valve body or what!! - and i am addicted to my overdrive so i will not settle for a t350 or 400

Dana
    The main reason that the Trans-Go Performance Shift kit, did not solve this is that the hole sizes need to be changed. The other reason is that the 3-4 clutch pack has too much clearance. The Shift kit can be modified to solve this most of the time, but the 3-4 clutches still have to be in good shape.

LS1+LT1=980hp

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am Firehawk

The stock tranny has held a lot of power for a while but i think it is soon to die! Would it be a better idea to buy a build transmission or to build the one that i have? - What kinds of upgrades would i need to handle 600+ ft lbs of torque?

Black
    99 SS

my 3-4 clutch pack just went out in mine after 2,500 miles and it was a very stought and built transmission. the problem with mine is the solenoid was not holding the pressure after 30 mins of cruise time and would slip out of gear on the high way and the only way to engage it back was to put it in neutral and then back in OD. then the pressure held up for a few mins and did the same thing again all over. this in turn somked the 3-4 clutch pack and fried it. so u have got to be careful when it comes to the line pressure because it will damage other parts

green
    1999 Z-28 B4C

Hello everybody
    I'm brand new so bear with me.
    My 99 B4C has a problem with shifting from 2-3. It won't shift unless your wide open or let off of it. I have not pulled the pan off of it yet.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thread Information