Black
    2002 Trans am

02 trans am transmission issue

driving at 60 or so, (low rpm) for a few miles my trans mission seems to slip or lose traction. ie the rpm's jump but no speed increase. I then down shift from D to 3, and back to drive and it is ok. only happens on the highway. I can floor it and it will down shift.

hey

Sounds to me like your loseing lock up...Hope this helps Dave

blue
    2000ss

Sounds like as he said your loosing lockup probably due to engine missfire

Black
    2002 Trans am

lockup

if the cause is that the tc is un locking. live with it or get a new TC

Black
    2000 Trans AM WS6 Conv

Question Mine too!!!

yo dude! mine is doing the exact same thing! i've only noticed it on the interstate around 70ish MPH and it'll kinda loose power, but its really smooth and not jerky or anything. the RPMs will go up between 2500-3000 and its not stable and then it might kick back into gear and run at normal 2100 RPM... its really odd. I took it in and the guy thought it was the valve body of the transmission so he replaced that part ($450) and its still doing it (although its not as frequent now)... he thought the next step would be to rebuild the transmission which is $1800... did you ever find out any more info about ur car dude? i'm curious to see what they say about yours..

Black
    2002 Trans am

Transmission

I had my transmission rebuilt two months ago. Shift kit putin and still the same problem.

blue
    2000ss

if it locking and unlocking due to engine missfire neither a shift kit nor converter will help and converters do not lock and unlock randomly on there own, You can either correct the missfire or in cases of moded engine and or high stalls you will need to raise the missfire tables in tuning

Black
    2002 Trans am

transmission

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    if it locking and unlocking due to engine missfire neither a shift kit nor converter will help and converters do not lock and unlock randomly on there own, You can either correct the missfire or in cases of moded engine and or high stalls you will need to raise the missfire tables in tuning
    Are you saying that the engine is missfiring, like a bad plug, because there are no codes coming up.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

i have been having a similar problem as well, just seems to unlock. It's mostly at highway/interstate speeds and seems pretty random. I can put it in neutral or 3 and back in D and it clears up for a while. This has been happening for quite a while, though dont think its a misfire in my case. It happened on my ls1 and now its happening with my new ls6 in. what else could cause this?
    LS6 Engine swap, Custom Predator Tune, Lid, SLP Cold Air, Ram Air H.O. Hood, Hooker Long Tubes, !Cats, 3" True Duals w/Dynomax Bullets, Performabuilt stage 2 w/3600 stall, B&M Trans. Cooler, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73's

Pics of my car
    http://community.webshots.com/user/demonspeed_ta

hello

Is this a stock transmission? Try adding a qt of atf, yes over fill it by a qt. Next if it's a stocker.....the best thing to do is put it on a scanner and watch to see if it's being called for.(the unlock that is) If not then you've isolated that it's happening either mechanical or hydraulic, in other words inside the trans.....have the lock up valve changed with either a sonnax or my preference is the transgo valve... hope this helps Dave

Black
    2000 Trans AM WS6 Conv

not a misfire..

yeah i don't think its a misfire. the engine is still running smooth, it just that it seems to start slipping. I haven't rebuilt my transmission and everything on my LS1 TA is factory. Anyone let me know what they've figured out cause it gets kinda annoying.

I too can slip it down to third and the problem will go away for a while and then gradually start in again. Thanks guys! HELPP!!!!

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

well mine is getting worse, hardly locks up at all now. You think my converter has gone bad? Yfuddo, any news on your issue?

black
    2002 WS6

Probably just the lock up solenoid getting stiff.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

what can you do about that?

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

i had this happen for a week then lost 3 n 4 on way home...4k at 40 mph was my max...sucked with lm1...

n e ways i bought a used rebuilt 02 trans and stall and its fine

it was either my shift solenoids or my convertor..more like my convertor cause it did hang in gear just didnt have them

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

Quote Originally Posted by bryce5_04 View Post
    yo dude! mine is doing the exact same thing! i've only noticed it on the interstate around 70ish MPH and it'll kinda loose power, but its really smooth and not jerky or anything. the RPMs will go up between 2500-3000 and its not stable and then it might kick back into gear and run at normal 2100 RPM... its really odd. I took it in and the guy thought it was the valve body of the transmission so he replaced that part ($450) and its still doing it (although its not as frequent now)... he thought the next step would be to rebuild the transmission which is $1800... did you ever find out any more info about ur car dude? i'm curious to see what they say about yours..

+1 on that my 02 A4 does the same thing lately very annoying im gonna talk to performabuilt soon about a level 2 cause come NOV im boosting!!

Black
    2000 Trans AM WS6 Conv

Yeah... i still haven't figured out what the problem is exactly... i'm kinda just suffering through it right now til i graduate college... i don't have any money right now to fix the issue.. if you get your performance transmission, def let me know how it is... cause i'd def be interested in doing that if i had to replace my trani...

Thread Information