gimmeadonut

*Clunk*? Tranny? rear end?

Hey everyone, well here is the problem. when my car up shift or down shifts, majority of the time it will sound like its slamming into the back of the car... *Clunk*. As i read on here most poeple have a problem with the U joints breaking. So i crawled under and checked them out. They appeared to be fine. I also replaced the Tranny mount when i had the rest of the stuff put on. So anyway, i have no idea what i can be. I had a Transgo Shift kit and sophn Torque arm and SLP Sub Frame COnnecters put on a month ago, But this just started happening just in the past week or so. Please let me know what you think the possibilites are. Thanks again in advance.

-Chris

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

check your upper shock bushings. mine made simmilar sounds and i hunted it for about six months. finaly got pissed and just started throwing parts at it. come to find out it was just the OE shocks!!!

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

also to be sure check for play in the tailshaft housing. I was amazed to find out that my car with only with 70,000 on it had about an inch of up and down play at the tailshaft. So i got one from a salvage for 60 bucks.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

check the trans mount and see if it broke. also, look over the torque arm and see if it broke anywhere.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

RED
    2002 CAMARO SS

Since the noise started soon after you had all the parts installed and if you cant find anything that seems broke, try re-torquing the bolts on the new parts. Sometimes heat and/or friction can loosen them.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Did the mount, did the torque arm bushing, just had the driveline balanced and have two brand new u joints. I also have a fresh tranny service including synthetic oil and a nice cooler. Guess what - still clunky. I did notice a significant amount of play in the tranny tailshaft when I had the driveshaft off. Anyone want to bet that this is the clunking noise source? Its better - even with the poly mount, but I don't think all is healthy.

My local Dealer, McCurley Chevrolet, was given two opportunities to fix the situation on my GM Certified used camaro. They replaced the front splined yoke on the driveshaft citing that the splines were worn. I asked them about the tailshaft splines and they said they were fine. Unfortunately, they didn't take the time to check the balance of the driveshaft because it was WAYYYY out of spec.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it hard to change the tailshaft housing? The tranny shifts OK, but this clunking is killing me....

silver metallic
    99 z28

i have same problem on 99 z. but more noticeable going in and out of reverse and out of park. havent replaced anything yet but i have no mods so i dont think your mods are causing the problem. guess no one knows!!

pewter

i have the same damn problem, shifting in and out of park, and from N to D. first i switched the tranny mount because it was broken anyway (also does it when i break) took it to the dealer(he only sells camaros and firebirds) where i bought it, and he said it was a warped rotor, i checked my rotors and they were warped, so i replaced all 4, still same problem, so than i figured it was the shocks because they still had the originals, so i replaced all 4 with bilsteins, and i also switched the springs, have'nt switched the u joints, so that could be it, but i reamain cluless to the problem, and it is annoying the hell out of me because i cant figure out the damn problem!!

Thread Information