Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Yet another header question

ok call me crazy, sure, call me a tree hugger, well if you ever watched me clean stuff around the garage you wouldn't think i hugged too many trees, lol...

I can't bring myself to make the decision to go with long tube headers, even with a cat 'ed y-pipe.

I just have this thing against running something that is not legal or would add more harm to the enviro. I mean I drive an freakin LS1. I'm sure that pisses off the prius owners out there, lol...

So on to the question. I have read a few posts that say buying shorty CARB legal headers are not worth the cash. Well, buying long tube hears is not emissions legal. So...I want to stay emissions legal. Should I even bother thinking about saving money on exhaust parts if I am just going shorties?

My car is 99.8% stock, . A previous owner swapped the muffler and tips. I swapped the air filter lid. My wife digs the sound of the car as it is. I just like fiddling with my car. It keeps me from drowning myself in video games, make my wife happy too.

I ran my old 99 z28 stock for 3 years, only added a lid. I spent more time an money on maintenance for that car, no fun stuff. I wanted to start with fun stuff on this car since it is lower mileage and holding its own right now.

What fun stuff can i screw up, uh hem, i mean enjoy, and keep it emissions legal.

thanks

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

3" cutout in the I pipe. Sounds great and doesnt mess with the emissions. If you dont want long tubes dont waste your money on shorties. The stock manifolds flow just as well.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Can't Long tubes, with a catted Y pass emissions?

I'm not sure, cuz I've never had to to an emission test. But I agree, maybe you could get a cutout

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    3" cutout in the I pipe. Sounds great and doesnt mess with the emissions. If you dont want long tubes dont waste your money on shorties. The stock manifolds flow just as well.
    J
    yeah i was looking at videos of some cut outs. I would assume a single cut out in the intermediate pipe would be appropriate in my case.

no, can't go long tubes. after many nights of counting sheep. I convinced myself I would stay emissions legal. Now if I had my 67 Firebird back. I wouldn't loose sleep over this, .

but i don't have the same kind of income as Mr Papa Johns, so I won't be reunited with my Firebird in this life time.

Maybe I should have titled my post, how to get more power and stay emissions legal, doh.

wonder what I can do and stay emissions legal, huh....now i have more sheep to count. you should see how much my brother dumped into his 99 Silverado. Maybe he should put up the bounty on my Firebird, lol.... BTW, he had to keep his emissions legal so he opted to run the JBA shorties. He also did a crap load of work too, CAM, Heads, Exhaust, dyno tunes, blah. He already bent a push rod, lol... I should ask him if he has passed an emissions test with all the work he has done. I would be curious to know if that bigger CAM did anything to through it off.

Thread Information