Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

And Yet Another Exhaust ?

Ok, all I seem to do is search the threads for info on headers and exhaust and still have the same silly question.

I am a DIY guy with a small budget, go hand and hand right.

I would love the TSP or Bassani True duals, doubt I could ever afford Bassani.

I'm looking for the best combo for a budget DIY. I don't really like the pacesetter ORY because i think the pipe smashing on the one side is a turn off, yes i plan to date my car every day, lol...

What set of headers provide the best DIY fit?
    What high flow cats slip fit with the headers?
    What piping ORY or true duals fit the best?
    What muffler / cat back exausht fits the best?

As you can see I'm working block to bumber in my mind and looking for something that works with stock locations, no fab, no weld, basic hand tools, and won't require a third mortgage. Of course all the parts would come together and sing a camp fire song not tell a tale of horror cuz nuttin fits.

The key in the question is when you drop the cash on the goods, who really lives up to the perfect claim so many make, fits like a glove

And, what size plumbing is the good versus overkill? It seems most ORYs and cat backs are 3", anything bigger and better without pissing money away?

Naturally any great true dual DIY negates the ORY and 3" question.

And to make it extra fun, if you couldn't do this all at once what order do you go in? It would seem as soon as you introduce LTHs your changing at least the section between the LTs and the stock exhuast. If you do the headers after something else it would seem you have too much piping some where cuz it was sized to the stock manifolds. Its almost like you have to LT and ORY at the same time. And true duals seems to really mess it up.

BTW I would prefer to stay with cats, and I know that costs plenty more than not having them. I just feel it's the right thing to do.

Thanks

Kool-Aide

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

You're looking at $400-700 for headers, $140-250+ for a y-pipe, and $350-500+ for a catback, all depending on what brand/styles you choose. There are several options. My advice would be to spend $779 for the Bassani true duals that bolt right up to your stock cats. It would seem the most cost effective overall. The kit comes with all the clamps and stuff you need to install yourself. PM Mrr23 here about them. He dynoed a 20 HP gain just switching to Bassani from a catback off the stock manifolds. That gain is comparable to adding headers, and still allows you to add headers for even more gain later. I went Bassani, then added headers later. Bassani has been the best money I've spent so far. The Pacesetters were nice, but not as much of a gain as the true duals. Just my opinion.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah, i am in the same general area as Mrr23. He said they love the Bassani. I'll have to ask him about the direct bolt up. I know Vinci here locally sells the true dual Bassani.

I'm not as focused on gains as I am the easy fit and easy DIY. I'm not a race car driver and don't plan to do any bracket stuff. I may go to the local track from time to time and maybe the local auto cross cone racing.

like i said the big thing is ease of install for a DIYer, ability to add one part at a time to control out of pocket spending sprees. I want to change from the stock sound to a real healthy Camaro sound.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I installed my Bassani with a buddy in my garage. Took about 2 hours. Here's a video I made right after, still with stock cats, stock cam, and stock manifiolds.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...nt=Bassani.flv

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

that's what i'm talking about, right there.

But I think my delima is being a 99 with stock cats. I PMed Mrr23 to ask if he knew of Bassani slip fitting onto the stock cats.

What did you have to take off to do this? Besides the obvious old exhaust.

I've seen pics of this exhaust before and noticed the tunnel brace off. Did you get all of the cross member / brace back on?

thanks

kool-aide

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The Bassani setup does slip fit onto the stock cats, and comes with spacers to allow the tunnel brace to be reused. I used an air ratchet, a rubber mallet, some anti-sieze (it comes with the kit too, with the tips and all the clamps), and a sawsall to cut off the old pipes. Here's Mrr23s pics and performance gains http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm and here's his sound clip http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...l/DSCF0034.AVI .

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks. I have Vinci book marked, but had no idea that was Mrr23s car. I just love the idea of true duals, but I want to do it myself. For the cost of Bassani I would like to know everything up front before it turns mid night one day and i'm screwed and swearing.

My wife likes the fact I can DIY with hand tools, but she hates driving my butt around cuz the car is on blocks. As long as i can install with hand tools and bloody knuckles i'm ok. If I have to fab, and weld forget it. I can hacksaw the heck out of stuff and that's all the fabbing I can do.

any one have any TSP stories to share? I know Mrr23 raves about bassani, but i'm also a budget kind of guy, and TSP might be more my wallet speed.

thanks for the links

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Bassani install is straight forward, no hacking, fabbing or bloody knuckles. I think having 2 people makes it much easier, I can't imagine holding the muffler up while slip fitting the pipes solo... TSP is a pretty easy install too from what I gether, but it's much louder and has interior drone. Matter of taste...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

for the 98-99 cars, there's a bit of extra work to be done. the 98-99 cars have the passenger cat further downstream, away from the manifold. the cat is welded to the y-pipe as well. here'a pic of the y-pipe from the wife's 99 formula.

because of this, you need to cut just after the o2 bung and then cut off some of the x-pipe and mate to the factory cat.

another thing you can do is get the cat from a 00-02 car and install it. then, the bassani will bolt right in.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the TSP is made for headers. you'll have to do more work to get it to hook to the factory system than you would the bassani.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

you know, i never thought about going with cats from an 00-02. I guess that is one way to get it done. Maybe I could bug a junk yard or something. Although i would love hi flows. Who's the best in hi flow cats for a Bassani install?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    Who's the best in hi flow cats for a Bassani install?
    Depends on what you want to spend. I use Catco or Random Tech. Prices range from $35 to well over $300. Spend at least $60 each for good ones. Several people get them from Ebay.

Thread Information