Blue
    1996 Z28

Yep, I want to cry.

Hey Guys,

Well After getting my 96 Z28 LT1 Auto, I knew I had to replace the motor. No big deal, I knew this was going to happen.

Well, I ordered an LT1 AUTO combo from Fparts on Ebay. THis place has an outstanding reputation. So I didnt even think twice about it.

Well I pulled the old motor and put the new one in. I crank it last night and it has a HORRIBLE rod knock.....or so I thought.

I called Fparts and the gentleman (Ronnie) explained that this happens once in a while and its not a rod knock. In shipping, once in a great while the oil pan gets dented and the crank is hitting it. He further explained that the motor was run before it leaves their facility.

So I am here at work, wondering if this is true. Not to mention I am wondering if I have to drop the damn motor again to get to the pan to remove it and inspect it.

Does this sound like a possibility? Are the tolerances that close that a dent would cause it. The sound isnt really deep like a rod knock I guess, more like someone beating on a large can.

So, 2 questions here.

1) Is a dented pan a possibility
    2) Will I have to remove the motor again to get to the pan?

Thanks guys
    Joey

silver
    2000 trans am

if the dent is deep enough its possible.no,you do not have to remove the motor to get the pan off. drop the k member and its accessible

Blue
    1996 Z28

Ok, so I would imagine I will have to use the hoist to hold the motor, then drop the K member and utilize it that way.

Thanks a bunch rawy2000!

silver
    2000 trans am

remove oil filter and nut inside,drop k member,3 screws to each side,raise engine with joist and you should be good.keep in mind putting it back with no oil leak can be tricky as it is tempermental.good luck hope that fixes your problem.

Thread Information