Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Y pipe with stock manifolds

I heard of people running these setup. How did you do it? Do I just take it to a muffler shop and have them fabrcate one? Do I need a tune after its done? Will it make the car louder? Will I get the raspy sound? I have borla exhaust, with stock Y pipe and manifolds. Thanks.

Black
    '98 Z28

waste of money

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I don't see that there would be any sort of hp gain.

Yes it may change the sound/tone..

No you don't need a tune if you do deside to have one made up..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i'm not doing this with my vehicle. I know it doesn't give any gain in HP. i just keep hearing and meeting people that delete their cats with stock setup so I was wondering why people do it besides not having to buy new cats.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i think its stupid. Waste of time and money. I personally would get high flow cats to rid the nasty gas smell and take the rasp down a bit even though i kinda like it. But i dont see it getting much louder at all. When i traded my stock y pipe for an off road y pipe i noticed more rasp at 2k THATS IT! Other than that was basically the same.. I think the LOUDness comes from the headers and the catback just changes the tone of the loudness...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    i think its stupid. Waste of time and money. I personally would get high flow cats to rid the nasty gas smell and take the rasp down a bit even though i kinda like it. But i dont see it getting much louder at all. When i traded my stock y pipe for an off road y pipe i noticed more rasp at 2k THATS IT! Other than that was basically the same.. I think the LOUDness comes from the headers and the catback just changes the tone of the loudness...
    yup thats my opinion as well. I think people think of it as a cheap way to make it louder but is not really doing that much.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

It seems like every fbody guy i meet around here isnt even a third as knowledgable as anyone on these forums. Thats why i come here lol

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    It seems like every fbody guy i meet around here isnt even a third as knowledgable as anyone on these forums. Thats why i come here lol
    Lol I agree

I'm not a fan of cats so I experimented with this stuff on my 2002 SS. Ultimately I knew I was going to do long tube headers and an off road Ypipe so I wanted to try a few things first.

I first gutted a pair of cats and went to the track, I really didn't find much in the performance department. The problem with gutting cats is leaving that huge empty can in there, creates turbulance. The car did sound better however.

Next I tried an off road Y made by SLP that bolts to the stock exhaust manifolds. Basically this gets rid of the driver side flat pipe and rids the cats as well. This didn't garner any improvement for me either.

So I sprung for long tubes and a matching 3" off road Y pipe. This gave me about 1/10th reduction in ET and about 1 mph gain, even after tuning.

So yes, in a nutshell the other little tricks were a waste of time on my particular car. Even the long tube headers and 3" diameter Y didn't transform my car all that much.

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm not a fan of cats so I experimented with this stuff on my 2002 SS. Ultimately I knew I was going to do long tube headers and an off road Ypipe so I wanted to try a few things first.

I first gutted a pair of cats and went to the track, I really didn't find much in the performance department. The problem with gutting cats is leaving that huge empty can in there, creates turbulance. The car did sound better however.

Next I tried an off road Y made by SLP that bolts to the stock exhaust manifolds. Basically this gets rid of the driver side flat pipe and rids the cats as well. This didn't garner any improvement for me either.

So I sprung for long tubes and a matching 3" off road Y pipe. This gave me about 1/10th reduction in ET and about 1 mph gain, even after tuning.

So yes, in a nutshell the other little tricks were a waste of time on my particular car. Even the long tube headers and 3" diameter Y didn't transform my car all that much.
    Man, thanks for posting such a great run down as there's nothing like actual track results to tell it. You just saved me from wasting money.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    yup thats my opinion as well. I think people think of it as a cheap way to make it louder but is not really doing that much.
    i wouldn't say people are cheap... i had a 94 trans am that had a plugged cat instead of paying $100+ for a new cat plus have it installed i just paid $30 for it to be cut out and replaced with a pipe it sounded good to me but just a little too raspy... sometimes its not people being cheap its people not having the money!!!!

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Yup its a waste I've got high flow cats going to a borla 2.5 inch y pipe to my 3 inch cat back till my headers go on nxt week....yay 3 inch y pipe

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

you made me change my mind about getting headers now.

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    i wouldn't say people are cheap... i had a 94 trans am that had a plugged cat instead of paying $100+ for a new cat plus have it installed i just paid $30 for it to be cut out and replaced with a pipe it sounded good to me but just a little too raspy... sometimes its not people being cheap its people not having the money!!!!
    I'm not trying to offend nobody, I'm trying to hear different opinions on this kinda of setup. I consider myself as going the cheap route as long as it gets the job done and is reliable. We have to be realistic all this performance parts are not cheap. That's why i had been holding on getting $500+ headers vs more affordable ones ($170) that members that have them only tell me great things about them.

I'm all for a person that wants to save money. I did all my engine dress up myself because I don't want to pay all the money on the parts that are already made.

In end if you are happy with the outcome that's what really matters.

I appreciate all your opinions and I respect them.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    Yup its a waste I've got high flow cats going to a borla 2.5 inch y pipe to my 3 inch cat back till my headers go on nxt week....yay 3 inch y pipe
    Nice I got borla as well. How do you like it?

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Oh I love my borla exhaust,I can't wait till I get my headers on to hear how mean it sounds

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

you made me change my mind about getting headers now.
    headers will help u with hp and they sound great.... they will also set u up for future mods as heads, cam, intake, Supercharger, turbo, and plain built engines... u can only get as much air in as u can get exhaust out!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

headers will help u with hp and they sound great.... they will also set u up for future mods as heads, cam, intake, Supercharger, turbo, and plain built engines... u can only get as much air in as u can get exhaust out!
    yeah but it my DD so I might just do headers and a stall. If i make a garage car one day then I'll play with it.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

yeah but it my DD so I might just do headers and a stall. If i make a garage car one day then I'll play with it.
    i know what u mean im doing headers at the end of the month my next things to do will be cam and stall!!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i know what u mean im doing headers at the end of the month my next things to do will be cam and stall!!!
    which stall are you going for? I'm thinking 3200.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

which stall are you going for? I'm thinking 3200.
    haha iv been thinking the same... everyone says 3500+ but that seems so high for a mostly DD ill be more than happy with a 3200!!!

Thread Information