Thread: Y pipe Question

Italiano

Red face Y pipe Question

ok, so I need help trying to find what Y pipe to go with... I heard that Jet Hot's is a good one but I don't what advantages it has over other ones? Which one can you get the best clearance with? And I still don't even know if I want cats or not... am I gonna get any check lights on in the car with a pacesetter lt, y pipe (ory or not?) and gmmg setup?

Italiano
    woah... dont all respond at once!!!

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Italiano
    woah... dont all respond at once!!!
    Most likely people aren't responding because the answers to your questions can be found using the search function. Exhaust questions have been covered to great lengths at this website.

The y-pipe that you will go with will depend on what headers you get, because you can't mix and match all of them. If you have decided on pacesetters, then you have a few choices...the jethot, the pacesetter y, the tsp, etc. I'll tell you right now that the pacesetter Y fits like shit and I would never buy another one again.

None of the y-pipes are really going to give you better clearance than any other one, because once again that is moreso dictated by how low the headers are going to drop beneath the car. What you need to do is figure what fits best for your mods (find a ypipe that won't rub if you have subframe connectors, etc). You still might have to beat in a good portion of the y to get it to quit rubbing the underside of the car.

You should decide if you want cats or not before you install anything...if you do want them, there are hi-flow catted y's available.

Yes you are going to get check engine lights with the setup you listed if you get an ORY, the rear o2's will be going nuts if there are no cats there. At that point you can either buy o2 simulators or have them tuned out of the car. Also if you elect to get non-emissions headers you will see codes for AIR and EGR (if you had it). Keep in mind you also need extensions for LT's so that you can use the front o2 sensors.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I went with the JetHot Hooker LT's, Jet Hot Y-Pipe, no cat's, and the GMMG. VERY happy I did. No install issues, fitment of all was great with no grinding/hammering/bending or otherwise mangling any part of the car or parts being installed. The exhaust is not close to hitting the floor boards at any spot like so many have had problems with so there is no vibration imparted to the car and no need for the Mufflex Bump Stop.

Best thing of all - the sound

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Do away with the "Y" pipe and go with true duals that goes over the axle and exit out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock location.

Italiano
    yea, I like duals but im also one for chrome pipes out the back

Italiano
    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6
    I went with the JetHot Hooker LT's, Jet Hot Y-Pipe, no cat's, and the GMMG. VERY happy I did. No install issues, fitment of all was great with no grinding/hammering/bending or otherwise mangling any part of the car or parts being installed. The exhaust is not close to hitting the floor boards at any spot like so many have had problems with so there is no vibration imparted to the car and no need for the Mufflex Bump Stop.

Best thing of all - the sound
    that was my original settup i had planned but now i think im goin with pacesetters and the TSP 3" Y, Im gonna keep my LM right now but probably gonna have to get a dynomouth slapped on there! what do you guys think?

Thread Information