• Get X'ed TSP true duals

9 69.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X or Y?

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

X or Y?

I know im going to get a lot of $h!t from a few people on here but owell. So I have been thinking about sucking it up and buying the TSP true dual set-up. At this point im sure that it would help me out a little. The question i have is would it really be worth it? SO should i keep the Yed GMMG or should i get rid of it and go with the Xed TSP true dual. Check out the MOD's in my sig to help make your decision. Thanks

02 SS
    LQ9 408 Stroker ,M6 1LE, LT's, ORY, GMMG, STG2 LS6 heads,248/254 .612/.622, Tubular LCA's, Panhard, torque arm, tranny cross-member, upper and lower a-arms, k-member, 3 point SFC's, Baer 6 pistons up-front, stock rear , Adj. coil-overs,
    12.6@120MPH

81 Celica
    18.1 @ 85MPH

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

From what I've read, an X pipe will help more with low end torque (relatively speaking) and an H pipe helps a bit more with high RPM HP. So, I guess it depends on what your car needs more of. The differences in the curves I saw were not huge, but they were there. But that might be different for our cars, since the dual pipes are so close. The test was done on a (I think) '68 GTO, in a past HP Pontiac publication, and the only change was the exhaust system for the dyno runs. But, they also ran it with no balance pipe and the X and H setup was much better than that.

And, I'm calling BS on your 85 MPH Celica, with an 18.1 ET that trap speed should be more like 75 LOL.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Get the tru dual so you can sell me your gmmg

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The tsp system is overrated, A guy in Concord (girlfriends) t/a is bolt-on and it sounds metallic. Personal opinion but the not the best I ever heard, the way it hangs isn't the greatest for clearance either. Your y setup flows pretty damn good if I was in your shoes I would only go for duals for the sound and go with something other than tsp's.

guy wanting to trade duals for y-pipe
    http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69905
    Last edited by c5z28; 02-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I know im going to get a lot of $h!t from a few people on here but owell. So I have been thinking about sucking it up and buying the TSP true dual set-up. At this point im sure that it would help me out a little. The question i have is would it really be worth it? SO should i keep the Yed GMMG or should i get rid of it and go with the Xed TSP true dual. Check out the MOD's in my sig to help make your decision. Thanks
    Still the stock rear No wonder your ET doesn't jive with your MPH. You're not driving that thing hard yet.

All kidding aside, the GMMG is just a single 3 inch catback. For the power you are making it's definately choking some HP.
    You would benefit from either a 4 inch single system or a real dual system.

I can give you a similar example. My buddies 97 LT1 with a lingenfelter 355/6 speed eventually ran 11.60's at 119 mph. This was a motor only combo. We tried several 3 inch catbacks all with similar results. It wasn't until we switched to a 4 inch mufflex when the car ran that time I posted above, it picked up something like 3 mph.
    We wanted to try a real dual system to see how it compared to the mufflex 4 inch single. But at the time, the only thing out there was the Bassani and it was too expensive just to try for testing purposes.
    Rigging up a system was out of the question, as this was a driver and he didn't want to compromise ground clearance. So we decided to stick with the mufflex and call it done.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    From what I've read, an X pipe will help more with low end torque (relatively speaking) and an H pipe helps a bit more with high RPM HP. So, I guess it depends on what your car needs more of. The differences in the curves I saw were not huge, but they were there. But that might be different for our cars, since the dual pipes are so close. The test was done on a (I think) '68 GTO, in a past HP Pontiac publication, and the only change was the exhaust system for the dyno runs. But, they also ran it with no balance pipe and the X and H setup was much better than that.

And, I'm calling BS on your 85 MPH Celica, with an 18.1 ET that trap speed should be more like 75 LOL.

I've got the slips to prove it.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Still the stock rear No wonder your ET doesn't jive with your MPH. You're not driving that thing hard yet.

All kidding aside, the GMMG is just a single 3 inch catback. For the power you are making it's definately choking some HP.
    You would benefit from either a 4 inch single system or a real dual system.

I can give you a similar example. My buddies 97 LT1 with a lingenfelter 355/6 speed eventually ran 11.60's at 119 mph. This was a motor only combo. We tried several 3 inch catbacks all with similar results. It wasn't until we switched to a 4 inch mufflex when the car ran that time I posted above, it picked up something like 3 mph.
    We wanted to try a real dual system to see how it compared to the mufflex 4 inch single. But at the time, the only thing out there was the Bassani and it was too expensive just to try for testing purposes.
    Rigging up a system was out of the question, as this was a driver and he didn't want to compromise ground clearance. So we decided to stick with the mufflex and call it done.

I know the stock rear needs to go, as soon as i get home that will be the first thing i do. As a matter of fact i am going to order my rear before i leave here so it will meet me at home.

Thanks for the real world example. i am for sure going to get some new headers (since i hate these SLP's), maybe some TSP's or KooK's. I know those are 2 totally different worlds but owell. Still not sure which way i wanna go with this exhaust set up. I def know that if i do go with a blower i will need more air going out too. i guess ive got plenty of time to decide. Thanks again.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Keep um comin guys!!!!

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The tsp system is overrated, A guy in Concord (girlfriends) t/a is bolt-on and it sounds metallic. Personal opinion but the not the best I ever heard, the way it hangs isn't the greatest for clearance either. Your y setup flows pretty damn good if I was in your shoes I would only go for duals for the sound and go with something other than tsp's.

guy wanting to trade duals for y-pipe
    http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69905
    I still think my system is some what restrictive. I would prob sell the GMMg since i could get more for it than that guys system cost new. what system are you running again?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I still think my system is some what restrictive. I would prob sell the GMMg since i could get more for it than that guys system cost new. what system are you running again?
    I believe when it was first made Rick at synergy made it. 3" with magnaflow bullets (rounds or resonators whatever the hell you want to call them).
    If you want to pay an exhaust shop to install some clamps on my setup i'll open it at the axle for you and show you in person they are to loud
    If you get duals I would get some kind of muffler nothing smaller than this style
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowm...Q5fAccessories

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I believe when it was first made Rick at synergy made it. 3" with magnaflow bullets (rounds or resonators whatever the hell you want to call them).
    If you want to pay an exhaust shop to install some clamps on my setup i'll open it at the axle for you and show you in person they are to loud
    If you get duals I would get some kind of muffler nothing smaller than this style
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowm...Q5fAccessories

Not like what i have now is quite. lol i dont know how much longer this will be a street car. i mean i will drive it on the street, but it wont be uh........ legal

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I know it and don't use future tense cause it ain't legal now. You thinking about a dumped setup or over the axle then? Sounds like you have your mind made up

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I want to try the Bassani duals myself for the full length system.
    Last edited by SSTODD; 02-25-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

LPP makes a stainless steal x pipe. Im looking into it but I dont know much about and from what I have read and heard people say its a pretty good piece.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i went Y pipe only because of the two options you gave me...dont go tsp dumped...go over the axle dual...you do need to drop the Y pipe though..you make too much power for it.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I know it and don't use future tense cause it ain't legal now. You thinking about a dumped setup or over the axle then? Sounds like you have your mind made up
    Oh come on, its legal! Well i guess since im going to be doing the rear at the same time over the axels wouldnt be too hard. i just thought the TSP's what most people went with. ill have to do some more research.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I want to try the Bassani duals myself for the full length system.
    I heard good things about bassani, but ive also heard they are expensive.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    LPP makes a stainless steal x pipe. Im looking into it but I dont know much about and from what I have read and heard people say its a pretty good piece.
    I havent heard much about them but i really need to do some home work.Thanks

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i went Y pipe only because of the two options you gave me...dont go tsp dumped...go over the axle dual...you do need to drop the Y pipe though..you make too much power for it.
    Well i havent really done too much looking so its not like im set on TSP. im gunna look around tonight and see what all i can find. Ill post up what i find and see what you guys think.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Here is the bassani

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/43970

other than that im having a hard time finding sstems. Do most people just fab their own?

Thread Information