Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Question X pipe Vs. Y pipe

what is better an X pipe or Y pipe? I have a 2000 T/A and im installing headers soon so I wanted to know which pipe would be better

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

< 500hp = y pipe
    > 500hp = x pipe

Well, a Y-pipe means you are going to run a single pipe system from the cats on back. It's not the best setup for even a mild V8, even the 3 inch catbacks are marginal. Stepping up to a 4" catback off of a well built Y-pipe works well enough and is worlds better than the 3 inch setups if you want to stick with single systems.

The X-pipe is relegated to dual exhaust systems, and a well built setup is hard to beat.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend, and how much (if any) ground clearance you want to sacrifice?

I believe a 3" Y pipe is good for 370 engine horsepower with zero engine loss. True duals is the way to go if you plan on going head/cam. Or a 3" Y with a cut out would work fine.

Pewter Metallic

thanks guys,im not installing a cam or heads so im guessing that the Y pipe would be my best option

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    I believe a 3" Y pipe is good for 370 engine horsepower with zero engine loss. True duals is the way to go if you plan on going head/cam. Or a 3" Y with a cut out would work fine.
    does having a cut out means that it would be noisy? because i dont want the car to be super loud

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    does having a cut out means that it would be noisy? because i dont want the car to be super loud
    A cut out is installed in the (I pipe) thus by passing the muffler. So its pretty much like running open headers except some exhaust will still flow through the cat-back. It would be loud on stock manifolds, very loud with long tube headers. You can get an electric cut out. Just press the switch to open it up and be loud/quiet when you need to be. Most guys only run them open at the track.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

duals sound better
    <-dual owner

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Xpipe for sound and performance.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Y-pipe= more torque than x-pipe and definatley more noticeable off launches. Sounds ok cutt off muffler Sounds better :-)

X-pipe= slightly more hp, but noticeable difference in loss of torque tho. Also has more of a steady acceleration throughout the whole rpm's range. hah & sound is lol like sex!!!!! it's a hundred more x's better then y-pipe. it's why I went with it. the only prob. is that it sucks when your basically stock you need that launch in the beginning to get you movin. LoL I'll sacrifice that for the sound any day.

All based of a stock to lightly modded
    (Ex: slp headers and cold air intake)

But if you plan on doing cam/head work go with X-pipe. Cuz the more air you bring in the faster you gotta get it out. Or at least thats the theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    Y-pipe= more torque than x-pipe and definatley more noticeable off launches. Sounds ok cutt off muffler Sounds better :-)

X-pipe= slightly more hp, but noticeable difference in loss of torque tho. Also has more of a steady acceleration throughout the whole rpm's range. hah & sound is lol like sex!!!!! it's a hundred more x's better then y-pipe. it's why I went with it. the only prob. is that it sucks when your basically stock you need that launch in the beginning to get you movin. LoL I'll sacrifice that for the sound any day.

But if you plan on doing cam/head work go with X-pipe. Cuz the more air you bring in the faster you gotta get it out. Or at least thats the theory.

I haven't lost any torque. You must be referring to those 4 bangers with the foldger's coffee cans on the back

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    I made 392whp w/ mild cam/ LS6 heads through a Y-Pipe set up that is a 2 7/8" y-pipe and cut out before the axle. Not sure where you get your info from? I made 378whp with out a cut out and even a smaller cam on the same Y-Pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    I made 392whp w/ mild cam/ LS6 heads through a Y-Pipe set up that is a 2 7/8" y-pipe and cut out before the axle. Not sure where you get your info from? I made 378whp with out a cut out and even a smaller cam on the same Y-Pipe.
    http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371087

A real dual exhaust setup will perform better in every aspect, especially with an X-pipe in the mix.

The only reason these cars came with Y-pipes is for packaging reasons. It's not considered performance oriented in any way. You can "help" the matter by sticking larger Y-pipes and larger single exhaust systems on the car, but it's only going to get you so far.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I haven't lost any torque. You must be referring to those 4 bangers with the foldger's coffee cans on the back
    I just going off my experience with it. that's all. to me it feels like the y-pipe gave it alot more pull off the line. As for the x-pipe I don't but I def. feel a much quicker accel. throughout the whole rpm band. idk I guess it could be bc I'm used to my car. I never had it dyno'd to actually tell.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I just going off my experience with it. that's all. to me it feels like the y-pipe gave it alot more pull off the line. As for the x-pipe I don't but I def. feel a much quicker accel. throughout the whole rpm band. idk I guess it could be bc I'm used to my car. I never had it dyno'd to actually tell.

A good tune will fix that issue most likely!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    A real dual exhaust setup will perform better in every aspect, especially with an X-pipe in the mix.

The only reason these cars came with Y-pipes is for packaging reasons. It's not considered performance oriented in any way. You can "help" the matter by sticking larger Y-pipes and larger single exhaust systems on the car, but it's only going to get you so far.
    I wonder how much one would gain on a full bolt on car from going from a very free flowing cat back system such as a lm1 to an x pipe.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I heard up to gains of 30+ horsepower in some cases with a xpipe and LT's after a tune.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

x-pipe all the way. huge difference with both my cars. i wouldnt have a y-pipe now to be given one.

my vette has an x pipe, i don't know if that is stock ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Thread Information