The Rookie

X-Pipe on an 02 SS

I have seen some pictures on a previous post, but is this possible without major scrapping? Does anybody have experience with this setup?

The Rookie
    wow... nobody has done this here on the board??

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

You say a "X" pipe. Do you have a true dual exhaust system? If so, a "X" pipe might work nicely. However, if you do not have a true dual exhaust system, why would you want or need a "X" pipe? I believe that you need to be a bit more specific.

The Rookie
    Ok sorry. My questions Are... If I were to go to a true dual system and use an x-pipe, would it scrap on everything? If anyone out there has done this, what were your results? I did not know there were x-pipes for our cars. I have seen them putting them on the rustangs though.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I'm sure you could get the x-pipe in there.....now finding room and a good location for both mufflers is going to be interesting...along with all the extra piping. You could always wrap the x-pipe in header tape to quiet any scrapping/banging.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Well I'll put it like this, when you do get your X-Pipe put on post some pictures because it might look good hanging lower then your body. Have you ever been underneath your car. It wasnt designed with enough space to do an evolved exhaust system, just by the borla exhaust and be done with it. That's my advice.

The Rookie
    I have the SLP Y and magna flow cat back. I saw on ebay the other night a company selling X-Pipes for our cars now. Said you could make it a true dual that way, so I thought I would ask all the gear heads on here. I guess there is no real advantage over what I already have???

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If you're able to set it up correctly its very possible. There are a ton of people running TDs with good results. Are you wanting to dump the exhaust at the axle or route it out the back?

There are a few advantages with TDs. They will make a little more power throughout the entire RPM range and they sound twice as nice IMO. If you dump them, TDs will also be cheaper than a good y-pipe/cat-back setup. Texas speed sells a dumped TD system for $400.

I'll be getting TDs sometime very soon. I'll make sure to post some pictures.

This isnt my car but here is a clearance pic of TDs ran under the axle. Clearance is about the same compared to my y-pipe setup.

Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 12-23-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Why don't you install true duals using the stock manifolds ( which are very well designed) and stock cats. leaving them in their proper location, with both pipes (2 1/2 inchs) running down the passangers side, then over the axle, on through two straight through, noise cancelling mufflers (one on each side of the rear tub) and exit out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock location rather than spending money to buy another stupid, power robbing, silly "Y" pipe system? Ground clearance is not an issue because the pipes set up next to the floor on the passengers side just like the stock exhaust pipe did). Your muffler shop can build you a true dual system as I described and it shouldn't be a lot more expensive than a new stupid and silly "Y" pipe system. I can assure you that you would be a lot happier with a true dual system than you would be with another stupid, power robbing "Y" pipe system. With a true dual exhaust system like I described, You will pick a bit more power. (I picked up about 5% or about 15 horses over that stupid, silly "Y" pipe system) you will get a great sound (and be using straight through, noise cancelling mufflers, you will get that sound without the loudness.), However, you get straight through performance, better gas milage, street legal in all states. and great ground clearance. What else could you ask for in an exhaust system?
    Last edited by JEB; 12-23-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Thread Information